Author Topic: Canidae vs Innova  (Read 8039 times)

Lyn

Canidae vs Innova
« on: February 26, 2007, 08:04:20 pm »
I'm seriously thinking about switching from Canidae to Innova. :-\

Bubba and Lola both are having horrible gas. They stand up they fart, they sit, they fart. They did so well on Canidae up until this point and nothing has changed other than adding probiotics to Bubba's food. Lola gets just her kibble as usual.

My main concern is that Bubba is starting to lick his front legs again. They are just beginning to stain pink from his saliva. He's litterally waking me up at night chewing/scratching and licking. Both his ears are 'gunky' and Lola has one 'gunky' ear.

I'm almost positive there is something in the Canidae that isn't agreeing with them. I'm wondering about the flaxseed. I know it can cause some dogs to itch and it's the 8th ingredient in Canidae. ???

But I've been comparing Innova with Canidae and the ingredients are similar, just shuffled around a bit. Innova doesn't have flaxseed though.

I'm tempted to try it, but I'm worried about the 'richness' of the Innova since it's so much higher in calories.

For comparision sake though.. What do you all think?

Innova adult..

Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Potatoes, Ground White Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Herring, Apples, Carrots, Cottage Cheese, Sunflower Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Alfalfa Sprouts, Eggs, Garlic, Taurine, Sodium Ascorbate, di Alpha Tocopherol, Freeze Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Freeze Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Freeze Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Freeze Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Beta Carotene, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin B12 supplement, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Biotin. 

Crude Protein - 24.0% min.
Crude Fat - 14.0% min.
Crude Fiber - 3.0% max.
Moisture - 10.0% max.
Vitamin E - 300 IU/kg min.
Vitamin C - 500 mg/kg min
Linoleic Acids (Omega 6) - 4.25% min.
Fatty Acids (Omega 3) - 0.60% min.
Total Microorganisms - 90,000,000 CFU/lb
Calorie Content: 557 kcal/cup
------------------------------------
Canidae All Life Stages,

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Crude Protein (min.) 24.00% 
Crude Fat (min.) 14.50% 
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.00% 
Moisture (min.) 10.00% 
Lenoleic Acid (Omega 6) (min.) 3.70% 
Vitamin E (min.) 200.00 IU/kg
Calcium (min.) 1.20% 
Phosphorus (min.) .90% 
Alpha Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) (min.) .60% 
Ascorbic Acid (min.) 50.00 mg/kg
Cellulase (a) (min.) 100 CMCU/kg
Magnesium (min.) 0.14% 
pH  6.0
ME (kcal/cup) 468

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Canidae vs Innova
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 08:54:55 pm »
The problem with canidae is that they dont use single sources for their ingrdients, so they are not as consistent as other brands. I know that when we were on canidae we got a bad bag and I remember that your last bag was bad, so it wouldn't suprise me if your current one was 'off' too.

As far as innova goes, I have never tried it but I would deffinately consider switching zoey to it next time we need a change 
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 09:06:47 pm »
Thanks ladies. ;) I think I'm going to try the Innova. Worse case scenario Bubba gets booty blowout and I have to switch back. Not like I haven't been through that before. ;) I have pepto on hand now just for those times. :D

shangrila, Yeah I did get an off bag of Canidae and Bubba hasen't wanted to eat it since. I can add toppings and he will still refuse it. :( The only way he will eat it is if I add warm water and stir until it makes a gravy.

Tina, What does Jack weigh? And how many cups a day does he get?

Just curious because Bubba is getting 6 cups a day of the Canidae and still not gaining much weight. If I increase the amount at all he goes from pooping 4 times a day to 6-8 times a day. :o Lola is being fed the same amount as Bubba and she appears to be getting a bit pudgy for her 'frame'. :-[ Although standing next to 'bone bag Bubba' makes her look fatter. LOL As sad as it is though Bubba only weighs about 10-15 pounds more than Lola, she's a couple inches shorter but she's also 13 months younger than him.

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 07:56:15 am »
I used the store locator on Innova's website and there is only one store in my area that carries it. I need to call them and find out if they even keep it in stock. I hate having to call ahead and order a bag.. mainly because I always forget. ::)

Tina, I remember Jack's explosions. :( I re-read the thread lastnight when I searched the board for Innova. So Jack weighs pretty close to what Bubba weighs. He's between 130-140. Bubba is probably a tad more active than the 'couch tater' Jack. LOL So he'd probably need a bit more calorie wise. But Bubba prefers smaller portions, so I think the Innova would work out well there.

Hubby wants me to do a cold turkey switch since both foods for the most part are pretty similar with the same protein sources. I'm iffy on whether I should do that or not. Technically Bubba's poop has been 'soft' anyway since his last bout with colitis. The colitis has cleared up but he's back to the loose stool problems again.

I've been extremely happy with Canidae up until this point.
But they say nothing has changed with their food, but something is definitely different for Bubba to flare up out of the blue and refuse to eat it period. Plus with the scratching and the gas.. hubby wants him off the Canidae and wants him off it like yesterday. :-\ Since he's buying the food I can't really argue.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 08:18:59 am »
Thanks Holly.

Lola has no digestive issues other than the horrendous gas. So Bubba should be the only one I need to keep an eye on. I do have some pumpkin left from the last 'blowout'. So I'll start adding that and I do have pepto.. just in case.

Hubby thinks the cold turkey switch will be fine with Bubba because he's positive it's something in the Canidae. So we shall see.

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 09:17:10 am »
Bubba had 'chronic diarrhea' too for quite awhile there. For the most part he seems to have 'grown' out of it. The only issue now it the odd colitis flare up. This last episode the vet thought was stress related. Lola attacking him and Mia and refusing his food all started around the same time that the Colitis flared up. So that episode is a bit of a mystery.

But anyway I called the store and they keep the Innova Adult in stock. They also stock EVO and EVO Red Meat too. So if I ever want to try those in the future, I know where to find them. Plus a huge bonus is that the Innova Adult only costs $2 more than the Canidae and they have a buy 12 bags and get the 13th free.

I'm leaving to go get a bag shortly.. Crossing my fingers this switch goes well! I'll keep you all posted. ;)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:45:32 am »
diesel does great on innova, as far as solid stools go, and weight wise, etc.  i LOVE it and so does he, but i do have to say, diesel still has a lot of gas, though not as room clearing as with everything else we've tried!  as far as calling ahead, we only have one store in the area with it, too, and they keep one bag in stock for me when i come in once every two weeks, since they know i'm coming on the 1st and 15th (unless they fall on a weekend or holiday then the business day before those days).  they're really nice about doing that for me since they know i WILL come to get it those days.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:26:42 pm »
I am a huge Innova Evo fan. Harley has been on it for over a year now and her fur is beautiful. We feed her 2 cups a day she use to eat double that on any other food. And she poops once or twice a day(and not much comes out  :))

Remi is now on it. His previous owners said that they tried to switch him to other foods and massive booty blowout. He even had soft stool on the food he was on. Natural balance is what they feed. We switched him to Evo cold turkey no booty blow out and firm poo! He is on the pudgy side so we are going down to 3 cups a day from 4 and well see how that goes. We are also going from the Red Meat formula to the reduced fat Turkey and Fish I believe. Also they don't have gas on this food. They only time they do is from raw hides which we are no longer giving them as they get bad gas and booty blow out.  :-\
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 02:31:51 pm »
We have gone around on the food issue. We stopped at Innova for a couple of months and it worked okay...but we had some issues as well. We liked what it did for Lucah but his stomach didn't agree so much.

We eventually settled on Dick Van Patten's Natural balace fish and sweet potato. That seems to be the fix for his stomach woes and his coat has responded well.

We haven't had any experience with Canidae. I looked at that food but it didn't interest me too much.

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 02:52:09 pm »
I'm hesitant to try Evo just yet due to the high protein. :-[ But Innova adult is the last food on my list. If this one doesn't work for Bubba, then we are onto the grain-free foods for him. Probably Evo first.

I opened the bag of Innova offered some to Bubba first. He sniffed it out for a bit since it smells completely different than the Canidae. Kinda like meat and garlic. LOL I think the shape of the kibbles threw him off too. Lola just inhaled like usual. ::)

I'm going to start Bubba off a 4.5 cups a day and Lola at 4 cups a day and adjust up or down from there.

*Crossing my fingers* we have no blowout tomorrow. ;)

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 08:00:11 am »
Thanks! So far so good. No blowouts.. yet *knock on wood* :D Bubba's poop is the same as it was yesterday, just in smaller amounts. lol I'm hoping Innova will help with how often he 'goes'. Also NO GAS, lastnight or this morning so far! Yay.. I can sleep without needing a gasmask. LOL

Bubba is still licking/scratching but he's only had 2 meals of Innova so I can't expect miracles. But it would have been nice. lol

The only downfall so far is that they are acting like they are starved since they went from 6 cups of Canidae to 4.5 cups (Bubba) and 4 cups (Lola) of Innova a day. In order to give them the same amount of calories they were getting with Canidae they would need just over 5 cups each of Innova. But I didn't want to start out with that much for fear of 'booty blowout'. lol. So I think I'm going to slowly climb to that amount and adjust from there.

Funny, how I have one dog that's too skinny, and one that's borderline portly. ::)

Here's a pic to show just how 'chubby' Lola has become. I know I need to keep an eye on her weight or she will be competing with 'Buddy the load' for 'most portly' on BPO. LOL

Anakalia

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 09:56:28 am »
YAY for no gassyness!  That's always such a good thing, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the gas mask! hahahaa Is Bubba more interested in eating now that he's eating a new food?  I'll be keeping fingers and toes crossed for no booty blowouts.  I don't think Lola is portly, she's just big boned!  ;D