Author Topic: Best way to Introduce Lucy to a Smaller Puppy?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline pink2378

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Best way to Introduce Lucy to a Smaller Puppy?
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:58:30 pm »
What is the best way to introduce an older puppy to a smaller one?  I'm thinking about re-introducing Lucy (8 months) to a friend's 4 month old Pit Bull pup.  We tried this before when Stella (the pit pup) was about 9 weeks old and Lucy didn't do so well.   Lucy wanted to play with Stella and Stella wanted to play too but Lucy was almost aggressive with the way she was playing with her...standing over her, not letting her go anywhere, but then play bowing a minute later.  Lucy was really obsessive with Stella and got a wierd "glazed over" look to her eyes and absolutely wouldn't obey me at all (and I understand she was about 6 months at the time but she would normally at least acknowledge my presence and she hardly even knew I was there).  I had my friend take Stella home because I didn't want the pup to have a bad experience with another dog.   What should I do this time?  Any suggestions would be great!  Thanks :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to Introduce Lucy to a Smaller Puppy?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 06:13:38 pm »
The best thing I find is to make sure that they are in neutral territory.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Best way to Introduce Lucy to a Smaller Puppy?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:06:56 pm »
we usually don't have problems introducing our dogs to others, but when we do we've always had good luck with taking them to a park and walking them close, but on leash. that way they can see each other, but they're distracted by the sights and also the fact they're on the leash "working."  after doing this a few times, then we can usually get to just sitting together, then maybe taking leashes off.  the more you socialize with other dog owners, the easier it will get, and eventually your baby could be like ours where they just say "ok, new dog" and go on about their business.  good luck!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]