Author Topic: Bubba and Lola STINK, but I can't get Lola in the tub. Tips?  (Read 6203 times)

Lyn

Bubba and Lola STINK, but I can't get Lola in the tub. Tips?
« on: March 04, 2007, 10:26:01 am »
I decided to give the puppers a bath today. I thought I'd start with Lola but apparently today is not a good day for her because I can't get her in the tub. LOL This past summer we used the hose and bathed her outside, no problems then, but it's waaay too cold for that now. She loves water but she's terrified of the tub itself. 

With Bubba at first I used to drag him in litterally, now even though he hates it he'll step in on his own because he knows he doesn't have much choice. I tried that with Lola and she plants her butt on the floor and I can't budge her.

I've tried throwing yummy treats in the tub while it's empty or full. Still no go. She wants the treats sooo bad but refuses to put one foot in the tub. If I gently try to lift her front legs over the side of the tub she will pee. So I know she's completely terrified but I don't know how to help her get over it. ??? Anyone have any tips on how to desensitize her to the tub?

Worse case scenario I'll get hubby to lift her today when he gets home. But I'd like to work on her fear in between baths. Something I could have her do daily. Maybe get her to jump in and then back out? 

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Bubba and Lola STINK, but I can't get Lola in the tub. Tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 11:11:00 am »
Zoey used to be no problem getting into the tub because she loves water and treats and whenever she got in we would let her drink the water for a few minutes, then one of us would bathe her while the other fed her treats... Now we have a clawfoot in our new house so we can't get her up that high and have to bathe her outside.

I would deffinately say have lola watch bubba bathe inthe tub, maybe even have her watch you go sit in the tub, so she learns people come out the same way they went in.

Other than that I would just say take her on a nice long walk to get her tired and make sure she doesn't have any pee left in her, then put her in the tub and feed her treats. When all else fails, try putting a big old juicy burger in there for her to eat ;)
RIP former BPO

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »
Is the water already in the tub when you are trying to get her to go in.  If so  try putting the water in after she is in.  We use a shower head in ours and I have a hook with a noose in there as well, it is in my garage for the grooming but works the same as in the house.  Good luck. 
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 04:16:25 pm »
We tried it both ways with the tub empty or full. Doesn't seem to make a difference. Hubby tried to sweet talk her into the tub and she wasn't having any of that. Then he got in the tub and tried calling her that way. Nope. LOL I told him I already tried that but he thought she might get for him since she's daddy's girl. haha He was sooo wrong. He ended up picking her up and carrying her into the tub and she fought the whole way. Once she's in there she's ok-ish. A little tense but she will stand there quietly while we shampoo her and stay until we give her the ok to jump out.

She does watched Bubba step in the tub and get his bath since we bring them both in the bathroom at the same time. Keeps all the mess/water in one room and we don't have to play hide and seek with the other one. LOL I have brought her into the bathroom with me while I've had a bath if noone is home to keep an eye on her. She freaks out thinking it's for her until I get in. Doesn't seem to have helped her calm down any. :-\

I guess I'll just have to keep trying with the treats and hopefully she will come around.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:43:15 pm »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I gave bryce a bath about a week ago he was not happy about it but he managed to stick it out he weighs about 100 pounds i could never give bryce a bath in the tub i think i m going to take him to to petsplus they have everything you need to give your dog a bath beats cleaning up the bathroom when they shake it all about! marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:32:01 am »
I have just been giving Teddy sponge baths this winter.  He needs it about every 3-4 weeks though (what a smell!! Blech!)

I just fill the sink with warm water and puppy shampoo and then take a small towel and scrub him - I pay special attention to his face/jowls and his "potty parts".  Seems to work - the stink goes away for a a few weeks anyway!  LOL!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!