Author Topic: Need Big paw help for a Little paw problem  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Need Big paw help for a Little paw problem
« on: March 04, 2007, 06:04:10 pm »
So on Friday I go to walmart and there is a woman in a van outside of the walmart with HUGE posters all over her van...DESIGNER DOGS!! and a bunch of made up doodle schmoodle fitzer names....I think in my head "here we go again"

So i walk up to her van and look in it and shes got 6 of 7 tiny puppies on the dash of the van for people to look at when they come by. This alone was enough to turn my stomach...then I saw her open the back of her van...she had all the seats taken out and the back was CRAMMED with cages, which were crammed with small breed puppies!! :'( :'( She must have known I was p'oed because she would not talk to me or even look at me. I overheard her tell a woman that puppies were 700 bucks, and she was feeding them Costco Brand food. >:(

So I stomped into  Wal mart and demanded to see the manager. When he came up I asked him why they allow this woman to sell puppies from the parking lot when their doors are clearly marked "no solicitation" His answer to me was.....SHE DONATES TO "THE BREAKFAST CLUB" SO WE ALLOW HER TO SELL PUPPIES THERE. what in the  %&*^?!?!?! I told him that it was discusting the way she was set up like a dog supermarket and it was extremely offensive.  My friend also called the by-law, but shes got a business licence so there's nothing they could do. They agreed it was discusting, but they couldn't do anything about it

So the next day my partner in crime and I go down there...low and behold, shes still there, peddling puppies. So we went and printed off fliers on BYB's and puppy mills and passed them out in the parking lot to people...then we took some inside and gave them to the manager and let him know that by allowing her to stay here, both him and walmart were supporting cruelty to animals. He (this was a different man than the one i had talked to the day before) was actually receptive and his words were "well she has been doing this for many years and I was told that she was a professional breeder" It made me want to cry!! I just asked him to please read our flyer and pass it on to the other management and not allow this woman to sell puppies there anymore. He thanked us and we thanked him.

So today...(I have a friend that works at the animal shelter) anyway, she IM's me and tells me that already 2 of the"van puppies" have been hospitalized and people are screaming at them to do something.... :-\

What else can I/we(there is a small band of us lol) do?  I am calling walmart's head office tomorrow and asking them if this is common practice, to rent out parking spaces and if its not, ill be letting them know EXACTLY what is going on here. This woman is here (shes from a town bout 3 hrs away) 2-3 times a year always with a van load of puppies, so its clear she is making money from this...I found this ad in the newspaper and it doesnt even list all the kinds she had with her here this weekend...imag ine how many dogs she must have

"Adorable small or tiny, pure bred or mixed bred, puppies and older dogs for sale. Shih-tzu, Pugs, Yorkies, Chihuahuas and Jack Russells"

What can I do?
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
Re: Need Big paw help for a Little paw problem
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 09:43:41 pm »
Call the police and see if there are any laws against selling things in store parking lots.  I work at the Petsmart in McKinney and there is a $200 fine to anyone who tries to sell dogs out of parking lots here or in Walmart.  Walmart generally won't do anything about it, someone has to call the police.  I find a special little joy in my heart when i walk out there to tell the people trying to sell dogs that they need to leave or else i'm calling the cops and they WILL get a ticket....hehe ....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 09:45:00 pm by rayray »
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 01:12:10 am »
I'm pretty sure there is no law...because the manager told me that she was allowed to be there cause she gave them money...Ill be on the phone with the Wal-Mart head office tomorrow asking why they allow their stores to support this kind of thing. We called the By-Law...but shes got a business licence so theres nothing they could do on that end. What i hear tho, is she sold all her puppies and is not in town...but she will be back once shes got 4 or 5 more litters on the ground.

Man I have never been more livid about anything in my life.
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:31:32 am »
I'm very impressed with what you've done already so far! Do you have any vet friends who could pose as customers and evaluate some of the little tykes and then tell people around what they find? Or if it's not too expensive take out an add in the paper? Call a newspaper and get them to report on it, everyone loves a wal-mart scandal!!

chaosndestruction

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 06:48:46 am »
I know for darn sure that my Wal-Mart wouldn't allow it. we let Girl Scouts and things like that sell things out side of our store...not bybs. >:(

yes do call head office.

Sounds like you're on the road to getting this problem fixed.

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 07:30:49 am »
Hey I don't have any suggestions but...

RIGHT ON GIRL! You're FREAKING AWESOME! I'm SO PROUD of you for doing this! I've always been somewhat of an activist, but lately I'm realizing that sometimes, the only voice that is speaking up is your own, and if you keep quiet, well...there will be none.

So, SHOUT IT OUT GIRL! Those puppies deserve better and I'm just so impressed. Thank you!

Offline fila4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 08:58:12 am »
I would suggest to call your local tv station next itme she is in town and get them involved. Give them all of the information on puppy mills and byb's and shelter kill statistics! My local station would LOVE to report a story like this!!!

Personally, I would place an ad in the local paper, in the meantime, to locate those who bought puppies and see how they are. I would log all of the info I aquired and then have all of this ready for the press, Wal-Mart, whoever needed it!!!

I am crazy about this kind of stuff!! Poor little Kellin gets stuck helping me all of the time!!! Gotta start them out young!!!

Good work so far and good luck!!
Tammy
Chynna-APBT 8 1/2 yrs
Bo-Husky mix 11 1/2 yrs
Gracie-Argentine Dogo 10yrs
Dutchess-Eng. Springer RIP
Jordan-Eng. Springer RIP
Icca-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Jezzabelle-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Paco-Argentine Dogo RIP
Falcon-Argentine Dogo RIP

dohertyswissy

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 10:49:02 am »
KUDOS TO YOU!!!!  What an awesome thing.. to try to stop what is obviously a HORRIBLE situation!!!

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 02:16:57 pm »
Keep up the good work - that would make me sick as well.

I agree that  you should get in contact with local radio stations and newspapers; is there anyway you can pose as aa customer to find out when they will be around?  Does anyone know if it is illegal to videotape the lady, van and parking lot to pass on to the news?

Should we start a letter writing campaign to the head of Wal-mart letting them know how horrible this is - I know in our area Walmart is taking a lot of bad press lately and I doubt they would invite more bad publicity.

Randy & Harley

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 03:52:05 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

I called wal-mart's head office today and asked "Is it common practice for walmart to rentout parking spots to people...cause thats whats going on here. The wal mart in my town is renting space to what is very obiously a puppy mill"

they said "Its up to the individual store managment, but i will look into it and call you cal"

I'm still waitin for that call.

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 03:53:25 pm »
oh and....the newspapers and tv station wont touch this. They dont like controversy and the news coverage in this town is crap...people get killed and it doesnt get reported....

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 07:47:51 pm »
Here is the rare case where the PETA people are acutally useful.

You might also report her to your state Better Business Bureau, or whatever the government consumer agency is called there. 
Sheryl, Dogless and sad