Author Topic: No pulling!  (Read 4941 times)

Offline jeniferrochelle

• Gnawer
  • Tuba (Saint Bernard) and Tank (English Mastiff)
    • View Profile
No pulling!
« on: March 05, 2007, 09:52:03 am »
Hi everyone my Saint Bernard is a monster and almost doubles me in weight. He drags me when we walk it is soo hard even with the Halti collars. If he sees a dog forget about it I don't stand a chance. I love walking him and showing him off but I am scared the whole time that when he sees sometihimg he wants it will be like the Beethoven movies and I will be on my face being dragged behind him. Any suggestions?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: No pulling!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 09:56:43 am »
maybe you could try one of the anti pull harnesses that use the thick "strings" that go under their arm pits?  they work well for my hubby when he walks caine.  also, they have things that go on your leash and when it pulls it puts out a really high pitched whistle that we can't hear but your dog can, and maybe it'd keep him from pulling.  also, you may want to try using whatever you usually do and randomly change directions that way your pup learns he needs to pay attention to YOU and where you will want to go next.  also helps, but more time consuming if you just stop and make him sit stay every time he pulls, even the least bit.  that one takes a while longer and a lot more patients but it does work eventually.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 10:08:33 am »
try a gentle leader instead of a halti....they fit better and seem to be more efficient.
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Offline Chopper1003

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 03:18:26 pm »
i use a anti pull halter with my mastiff and it seems to work for me.  i think i got it at walmart for like 8$ or something like that but it is the only way i can control him if he gets scared or spooked.  since he outweighs me by like 60lbs and he is still growing
Lori williams

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 12:29:51 pm »
We use a pinch collar which has stopped most pulling.

One technique that works well is to wall a couple of feet if he walks ahead turn around and go the other way.  Just keep doing this for a couple of minutes or so and continue walking.

You might not get very far on your first walk...but eventually they get it and want to stay with you.

A lot of times if Lucah walks more than 2 feet ahead I just stop in my tracks and then he stops and then we continue.

I imagine all these techniques will work even if you don't use a pinch collar.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 03:11:41 pm »
I use a gentle leader.  Teddy equals me in weight right now but will soon outweigh me.  So far, so good, but still, if I see another dog coming down the street, I will cross over so that the tempation is not right there.  Its only dogs that get Teddy really going.  We are also signing up for another obedience class so that he will have more socialization with dogs.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline jeniferrochelle

• Gnawer
  • Tuba (Saint Bernard) and Tank (English Mastiff)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 08:48:14 am »
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I have tried the pinch collar and it did nothing because his fur is soo thick. I am using the gentle leader and the halti right now and they both work pretty good but not great. I do like one more than the other but if he wants to he will still walk me or more like drag me when he gets excited. Maybe I will try the harness it sounds like it may do the trick.

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 01:10:34 am »
I personally don't like halti's.  It makes me very uneasy to have something so close to their eyes.  Don't you guys find it pulls the skin up towards the eye and makes it hard for them to see?  I've also heard of cases of damage being done to the eye.  It doesn't seem to be working out for you anyway.  I would give the prong collar a second chance.

Read this link here to find out how to use a prong collar properly.  I haven't used it in a few years and had excellent results back when my boy was fiesty on the leash.  http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html#Benefits

I had a few people freak out at me when they saw the collar on Corben and thought I was evil.  I didn't give a crap what they thought BUT what mattered to me was the safety of my dog on the end of the leash and me on the other end. 

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone,

Hope this note finds all of you and your pups doing well & feeling great.  I wanted to share something about a collar we came across and recently ordered.  The web site is http://www.bamboopet.com/dogs/.  It is called the bamboo pet collar.  Our Kelso pup, who is now 2 plus yrs. old, has recently started jumping on people, at the door when the UPS guy is coming, just jumping on pretty much anyone that tries to come inside.    We checked out the web site and they have a demo video.  The collar looks really great and definitely something we wanted to try.  I ordered 2 collars and they just arrived yesterday.  I hope they will do the trick for easy access to catch him when he is about to jump or we know somebody is coming to the door.  The collar looks like a regular collar but, I guess is most similar to a Martingale type collar.  Once the collar is on the pup, at the back of it there is a handle that is almost like a bungee cord type thing when pulled.  When that part is released it just goes back into the collar, you don't see it. We were afraid of the choke collar with the chain for him so we will see how this one works.  Check out the web site when you get time.  You can purchase these collars locally at Petsmarts, or plenty of sites online.  I forgot to add, they have a leash that works in conjunction with it too.

Good luck with the pups.

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 08:14:23 am by pitas »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 09:33:23 am »
Don't you guys find it pulls the skin up towards the eye and makes it hard for them to see? 

i was told if it's fitted correctly it shouldn't go up to their eyes, or be too tight or loose.  we switched to using a goat halter with an extension (leave it to me!) because i felt it was much sturdier and also has an "X" under their chin so they can't slip out as easily since axle has such a short snout.  i've found this works very well, and haven't had any problems with hair being rubbed off, or it being too tight, or going into their eyes.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]