Author Topic: Need some tips please.  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Need some tips please.
« on: March 07, 2007, 05:17:31 am »
Thankyou to all of you that replied to my last post re:Any advice please.
Now have Ollie on a harness and he is much happier I can control nearly aswell as with a Halti but he can jump around a little more with the harness.
The tips I need are this when he see's other dogs he either stands and won't budge till they have gone out of sight or sits,and all the advice re; this breed of dog are not to pull and yank,I know this doesn't work and just makes him dig his heels in even more.He does this with Humans too,
He seems to just want to watch what they are doing it can sometimes be frustrating,try to lure with treats but not interested when all this is going on.
He will be 9 months old on the 20th do you think he may outgrow it? Or is this a trait in this breed.I am certainly learning more and more with research and I did plenty before getting Ollie.
Would be interested to know if anyone else has or has had this problem and your solutions.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Need some tips please.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:26:10 am »
This sounds like he is unsure of the situation and continued socialization should make the problem gradually go away.  What is the problem with letting him watch? 

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:47:16 am »
This sounds like he is unsure of the situation and continued socialization should make the problem gradually go away.  What is the problem with letting him watch? 

No problem with letting him watch I usually do,but if you are in a hurry or it is tipping it down with rain which is the norm in the UK at the moemnt it can be a little frustrating.

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 11:06:50 am »
Took Ollie out this afternoon and we saw two little dogs on the other side of the road and he sped up but didn't stop this time.We also saw a workman going to his van and that interested him I had a small squeaky ball in my pocket and squeaked it he looked to see what it was and then moved on instead of the usual 5 mins to be nosey routine. Also worked when he was sniffing one spot for too long,when he moved I rewarded  him so hoping this might work. :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 12:39:11 pm »

I am not sure, but in reading your messages I get the impression of a couple of different issues here. Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like there is a reluctance to engage when seeing other dogs playing etc.? As well as passing by certain distractions and maintaing focus?  If this is valid, then these are distinct.

As a previous poster already said, he sounds unsure or insecure in certain situations - when seeing other dogs that may fit a profile:  large, hyper, over-active?  I also agree that there is nothing wrong with watching this if he doesn't want to partake.  Also focusing on greater socialization with one or two dogs of this type may also help.  This breed has a big problem with shyness and it runs in many lines.  Is this applicable to your dog?

I think you are doing great with working on him to walk and be comfortable with certain distractions.  The key is to carry the "highest reward" for him (for some dogs it is toys, and for most it is a specific food treat - not all food treats are equal and carry the very best in his mind) and find his "threshold" distance (that point at which he is walking fine vs. the point at which he stops).  The best training mechanism for this is "counter-conditioning" and I think the best trainer on this subject is Patricia McConnell - she sells pamphlets that walk you through this if you go to her website and they are very helpful  http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/.  I recommend "The Cautious Canine".....

Good luck!

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 02:29:16 am »
Ollie is not cautious of the situation but other dog walkers who do not know him are as he is so large and they usually have smaller breeds,so I am trying to teach him to walk by nicely without getting too hyper or just sitting wondering why he is not allowed to say hello.
He has many doggie Friends of different sizes which he is allowed to say hello too when we meet them and loves to do so,but some people as I  say are unsure of him and think he is a naughty dog instead of an inquisitive puppy.We seem to be doing better and I am hoping as he grows up this will settle down.
Some people will come over with their dogs even if they don't know us to say hello others are cautious which I can understand because of his size,Ollie unfortunately doesn't.When the field dries out he will be getting more off lead free time and will have more opportunity to play with his Friends.
Thankyou for all your ideas they have been very helpful.

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 01:43:47 am »
Some interesting points there thankyou,Ollie just feels he has to sit and watch whether it is a Human or dog,I have stopped letting him greet all dogs while on leash and make him sit till they have gone if he starts to over react,which he does really nicely but it doesn't seem to matter what treats or toys you have in your pocket when he see's another dog or human he loses all focus on me.
Indoors or the garden he is great it is when we get out into that big wide world with all the distractions I am just going to have to keep working on it till it sinks into his brain and hopefully one day we will get there.