Author Topic: Irish Wolfhound compatablity  (Read 4855 times)

Offline BIGDAWGAK

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Irish Wolfhound compatablity
« on: March 12, 2007, 03:08:36 pm »
Does anyone have an opinion about the compatablity of a Irish Wolfhound and farm critters. I currently have 2 mini donkeys, a Llama, a goat, and some birds. We will also have a child on the way. I am looking for a dog that can grow up with our boy but be okay with our critters. I have researched Wolfehounds but want the opinions of actual owners.

Thank You
Damon

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Irish Wolfhound compatablity
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 03:34:48 pm »
from the sounds of it you're getting a puppy?  as long as you're careful about the introductions and keep him on a leash for a while (until everyone gets used to each other and also until he is old/large enough to get out the way fast enough and knows how to stay out of trouble) i don't think you'd have any problems.  i'd do the leash b/c then you have control over where he goes and what he does in the getting used to period, and he won't run a risk of being kicked, or stomped by the mini donkeys for whatever reason.  that's just my experience from introducing our big paws to farm animals, i know ptkennel can give you more information about the breed in specific, they have the most gorgeous little (not so little anymore) amy.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:53:31 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 05:57:45 pm »
Actually, since Irish Wolfhounds are sighthounds, they often will chase farm animals. "The Irish Wolfhound has been bred for years to chase, hunt, and bring down game. Therefore, assume that small animals may be chased or possibly hurt." -Nikki Riggsbee, author of Irish Wolfhounds.

Now, if you raise your dog to respect the farm animals, you may be fine. But you can't expect them not to chase your farm animals- it is in their nature! Some Wolfhounds can't even be kept with cats.

If you do choose to bring a Wolfhound into a farm situation it might take a considerable amount of work, training, and effort to keep everyone safe. Including the dog!

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do. :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 06:05:17 pm by doghealer »

Offline henryb

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 06:51:56 pm »
Actually, if you have only one wolfhound chances are they will not bother other animals, including cats. I've known many who growe up with cats.

But if you have two hounds, then you may have trouble.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 09:40:39 am »
I think you will love a Wolfhound on the farm. I agree with schelmischekit ty, get the puppy use to all the animals early on and visa versa. He / she will then know what is off limits for chasing, ect. Our wolfhound, Amy, is very intelligent and learns very quick. She has never bothered our cats or anyone's dog. Good luck!
Brad
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com