Author Topic: New puppy... Akita maybe? What do you think?  (Read 15764 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
New puppy... Akita maybe? What do you think?
« on: March 14, 2007, 11:16:08 am »
Two weeks ago, I rescued three puppies from under a car in the wal-mart parking lot. They were little dirty, greasy fuzzballs that were scared and hiding against a wheel- someone had dropped them in a cart with a hand lettered "free puppies" sign on it and they escaped and went running... one of the poor things was killed by a car and the remaining three hid under a truck. One was a red color with black mask, perked up ears and a very curled and tight tail- he also had blue eyes. The other was a very fuzzy white and black pinto looking boy, with blue eyes as well. Then there is my little girl here, Sake, all white with tri-colored patches, one on her eye, tri color ears, two big brown spots, and brown eyes. She is also very very fluffy. Her ears are not yet up but I think because the boys ears were up that her ears will go up too. They are also small and triangular like a perk-eared puppy. I am thinking she is siberian husky/Akita mix... what do you guys think?

Shes a very smart and wonderful little girl- she has already housetrained herself in just two weeks!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: New puppy... Akita maybe? What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 11:28:44 am »
she doesn't look anything like axle did growing up.  she looks more like a great pyrenees mix to me.

here's a 10 week old akita picture
http://www.dogclub.co.uk/gallery/gallerybig-483.php

here's a great pyrenees puppy picture, look at the top right
http://puppydogweb.com/kennels/greatpyrenees_harr.htm
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:36:20 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 11:32:11 am »
Two of her siblings were short haired like Akitas- but she and the other pinto boy look like long-coated akita puppies, just a little smaller and with less of a curl to the tail... I original though a GP mix too, but she's pretty small for a GP

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:50:16 am »
Two of her siblings were short haired like Akitas- but she and the other pinto boy look like long-coated akita puppies, just a little smaller and with less of a curl to the tail... I original though a GP mix too, but she's pretty small for a GP

akita's typically don't have short hair.  they're usually medium length and they do have a long coated version.  axle is the "short" version and his hair is about 3 1/2 inches long. with the others if you mean short like a lab, it's very unlikely since akita's have double coats as do GP.  also, she could still be a GP mix, her size could be due to whatever she's mixed with.  if it's a mix with border collie, or something like that, they are fairly small dogs.  since some had short hair, it could be a short haired breed and your girl just got the looks and coat of the GP but the size of the other breed(s).
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:51:37 am »
Wow! she does look like Chammie!

Thanks for the welcome ;)

I'm not sure about the chow chow since theres no black on her tongue or lips and she has pink skin... I had previously entertained shepherd or collie/GP/Siberian Husky mix and then someone sent me this picture of a long haired akita puppy:
 (I do not know whos dog this is so I can not credit the picture, I just know she found it on a show-breeders site)

And it looks SOO much like her. Its amazing.

The other breeds were were considering were border collie, siberian husky, aussie etc- because of blue eyes. And she has a very cat like, independent, intelligent (housetrained herself in one week!) attitude, very much like a siberian or an akita... anyway still trying to figure it out lol- unfortunatly I do not have pictures of her brothers... one was killed by a car before I could catch them (ung...) and the other two boys went to new homes right then and there.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:53:45 am »
Oh and I appologize- I didnt mean short haired like a lab, the SH siblings were deffinatly double coated! They were plush like a siberian or an akita or a GSD, but were NOT fluffy like Saki and the other fluffy boy.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 11:58:34 am »
here's a picture for you to consider.  Mixed Breed Puppy (Great Pyrenees, border collie, chow)
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
What does she look like to you?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 12:07:57 pm »
I recently rescued a group of puppies from under a car in the wal-mart parking lot... They were as followed:

#1 Male red puppy with black mask and black feet, blue eyes and perked up ears. Double coated (Like a GSD, Siberian Husky or Akita) but NOT long haired- about 6 LBS guesstimate at about 8 weeks

#2 Male White and Black Pinto/Piebald fluffy, blue eyes, one perked ear the other about half way up, long coated: A double coat with long fluffy feathers too (Sort of like a Great Prynese) 8lbs guess at 8 weeks

#3 Female White tri-colored Pinto/Piebald- VERY fluffy, brown eyes, her ears are down but I think they will go up, she is all white with two tan patches, tri colored ears, and a tri colored patch over her eye. This is the little girl I took home, and named Sake. (Sock-ee) She is about 10 weeks old and 10LBS.

#4 Male, all white with a brown spot on one ear, blue eyes and perked ears. Also double coated like the first boy, but not long haired like the other two. This poor baby was hit by a car before I could catch the puppies and did not make it....

I only have pictures of Sake, since she is the one I took home, and here they are:

These are my guys outside enjoying the sunshine today (Its 80 degrees today and I couldnt convince them to come back inside for the life of me)

Anyway, what do you think she looks like?

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 12:53:22 pm »
Nope.. no double dews- but she does have webbed toes.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Anakalia

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 01:20:46 pm »
My first thought was pyr mix too, but whatever breed she is, she's absolutely adorable!   ;D

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: What does she look like to you?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 07:16:12 pm »
the tail flip thingy makes me think some akita...the muzzle...hmmmm  not quite sure!  Cutie pie though!!!  Also, that pic of the two boys...SUPER handsome!!!  They make quite a pair.

modified to add:  what's goin' on with the vertically challenged legs???  Just a puppy thing?  Still a cutie, and a great story.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:18:15 pm by BellaRoosMom »

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 08:34:32 pm »
Wow thats weird I posted that in the Mixed Breeds section to see if anyone there had an idea and somehow it ended up back over here...as a reply...

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets