Author Topic: Dog Crates  (Read 11650 times)

Offline newfdog

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Dog Crates
« on: March 25, 2005, 08:37:48 pm »
I just want to get an idea how many people here have crate trained their dog. Dog crates don't currently exist in our home however it could be a possibility if we came across a particular dog that needed it.

So, who here uses dog crates and what were/are your experiences with crate training?

Newfdog
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 08:39:25 pm by newfdog »

awo

Re: Dog Crates
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 09:41:02 pm »
Hello,
    In response to your crate training question, we crate trained our saint until he was about 3 months old.  Dudley would be stay in the crate when we were both gone and when he slept at night.  He was 8 weeks when we got him, so he trained pretty fast, but our key to potty training was to let him out of the crate and get him excited to go outside and go potty, hence today, when he needs to go out, he goes to the door and whines.  Anyhow, as he got older, we then put him in the bathroom and worked our way up from there.  I will say, we were extremely lucky on training him so fast.  I believe in crate training, because most dogs feel safe in their own little space and we also did not feed him in the crate, but only had a water bottle on the side.  Most dogs will not go potty where they sleep, unless the dog can't hold it.  Remember dogs came from wolves, who were denning animals.  I do believe though, that the crate has to be big enough for their size and potential growth.

awo
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 09:02:26 pm by awo »

Lorrie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 07:06:50 pm »
I used crates for the 2 dogs I have now, a Cocker and a Saint.  Prior to using it for the Cocker, I had never used it either.  Now I won't attempt training another puppy without it. 

Although we did have a very large crate for our Saint, he outgrew it at about 6 months.  But we also have a kennel for him in the yard where he stays when we go to work.  He does not go to the bathroom in his kennel.  Ever.  He waits until we get home and let him out of the kennel and I think it is because he thinks of his kennel as a large crate.  And his kennel is plenty big, he could potty there if he wanted to, but he doesn't.  Also, the Saint never went to the bathroom in the house, not once, not when he was being house trained and not since.   ;D

Offline lisa2270

• Gnawer
  • Anatolian Shepherds Rule...But So Rotties!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 11:51:56 am »
I'm a big believer in crate training too.  The potty training ease, plus the added peace of mind knowing that they're safe is worth the investment of a good crate.  I'm a worry-wort when puppies are small...the fact that you know they're not getting into stuff until their a little more mature & obedience trained.  It's very much worth it.
Love my 3 babies - Zeka, Bodhi & Princess Buttercup

Jen

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 01:10:04 pm »
Because the breeder of our Great Pyrenees had a long fishing trip in alaska we were unable to get our puppy until he was 3 months old.  Keeping that in  mind; when we did get him he did something remarkable the fisrt day....He walked up to the front door rattled the window treatment a little bit and waited, so as well trained fur parents we let him out and that was that never needed to potty train witha crate.  Now destroying the house when we went out is a totally different story!  He had his own idea on the interior design of our home!  So we did what any big dog loving parents would do....we built a new house which included a custom built doggie apt including doggie kitchen, living room with couch,air conditioning, heat a window over looking the entry path, and a door (just his size)leading out to a fenced in yard.  He chews his couch regularly but he know the difference between his couch and my couch, we have never had a chewing problem since.  Hhe only goes in his apartment when we are out.  WHen we are home he has full house access and he is a pyr-fect gentlemen.  I hate the look of a caged animal in my home.  Oh did I mention when we are home we park our cars in his apartment ;)

Jen

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 01:23:07 pm »
We have had large (dobermans) to giant (great danes) dogs in our home for 15 years. We currently have three. All of them have been crate trained. They are in the crate at night until fully housebroken, and in the crate when no one is home until they are well over the chewing get into everything stage at about 18 months. The funny thing is that since the crate is left open when not in use for the puppy, it is not unusual for one or both of the mature dogs to make themselves at home inside, leaving the puppy barking in frustration. They like the security as well as the knowledge that when they are in the crate, no one is allowed to bother them.

Offline romanreign

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Roman Reign Working Dog
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 01:38:35 pm »
I always crate with my dog.  We often go to shows, trials, tests, etc.. and its handy to have a crate trained dog.  I'd say most performance, working, or show dogs are crate trained.  

And my dog loves it.  He'll go sleep in it in the afternoons.  
Roman Reign, Work Hard, Play Happy, Eat Well

Offline Alexandermals

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 07:18:14 pm »
All three of my Malmutes have been trained to crate and it has been the single best thing that we've done.  I have several reasons:

1. All dogs chew.......che wing unauthorized items when no one is home is DANGEROUS!!!!

2. My dogs love having a place all their own to go.  No dog or child is allowed to bother a dog that is in the crate.  Mine use theirs as a place to go in times of stress (running the vaccum, etc. ;) ).

3. My youngest has had to be confined for injury and illness more than once.  It's easier if they are already used to crating.

4. Large dogs are in danger of bloat.  Mals are high energy so the crates are used for mealtimes and then they rest in them for two hours a day after eating.

5. In multi-dog households domestic disputes will arise eventually.... .crates are a good private place to settle down and get over it.

6. Housetraining was no work at all.

7. Mals are pack oriented and very dominant.  The crate aids me in instilling that I am the alpha and I can and will control their space. (I need all the help I can get! I weigh 98 lbs. and my lightest pup is only a couple of pounds below that....the largest outweighs me by 50 lbs!)

We do not use our crates for punishment. However, our pup sometimes needs a 'time out' in her crate in order to get ahold of herself!

Some call crating cruel......I call crating safe.  Dogs die everyday by poisoning themselves, and approximately 80% of dogs that get bloat don't make it.  Obstruction can be fatal and at best the resulting surgery is painful and can be dangerous.  If you can't be there watching, crating is the only humane way that I've found to keep them safe!  If you aren't there you may not be able to figure out what they've eaten, how they got injured, etc.

A tech at my vet's office told me he never crated and wasn't worried because his 2 dogs had been together for 6 yrs. with no problems.  He changed his stance when he got home one day and the dogs had viciously fought.  One was near death and the other's wounds were fatal. 

No matter how well we know our babies, they can and will do things at some time or another that will endanger them.  Crating just raises the odds of that we'll know when it happens because it's not going to happen when I'm not there.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 09:25:48 am »
Jen,  I'd love to see a picture of your "doggie apartment"!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 09:47:57 am »
Yes Jen, please show us some pictures of his doggie palace!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Wildlonewolf

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Lucy Sue!!
    • View Profile
    • Windsor Cheapcycle
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 04:51:04 pm »
With Lucy I crated her at home for about 6 months. I needed to know she was safe (and out of trouble) while I was at work. In the beginning Lucy was like a puppy as she is an ex-racer. She was learning how to be a family dog instead of a working dog. For the last 3 months she is free while I'm gone. I've had no problem with her out of the crate. For the first week or so I just kept the door open, and most days I would find her in there when I returned. However she has discovered the joys of window watching, most days she waiting in the window when I get home. I also can tell that she sleeps on her dog bed, couch, and my bed while I'm gone. I don't think she can decide where she wants to sleep, so she tries them all out!!! LOL I don't mind. One thing though, i do have a small room in my apt. It's one of those rooms you have no idea what it really is for. Too small for a bedroom, and in a strange place for a dining room, (it's really too small to be that too!) However, I've renamed it Lucy's Room. She has all her toys and a ton of blankets on the floor. When she hangs out in there, I leave her alone. She needs her space sometimes. Also too, I've moved her crate to my Boyfriends house. When we leave to go out for a couple of hours, I always crate her there. She has no problems being crated, and I feel better knowing she's in there while we are out.
That's my 2 cents.
Renee

Offline RottiesRmyLuv

• Gnawer
  • Britta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 08:49:47 pm »
Hi, we have two Crate trained Dogs.  Only because it is a Must with one of our Rescue's.  We are currently working on training Misty,(she has Major Seperation Anxiety) and still gets Very upset if I leave, and scratches apart the doorway.  Has already ruined our new French Doors.  She is getting better, but not enough to leave her alone for any length of time.  Lady, our Rottweiler Rescue is a Dream, and could be left on her own, but we would never leave Misty in a Crate and Lady free. It just wouldnt be fair, and Lady is so mellow, she just walks in her Crate, no prob.  They arent in there longer than a few hours at a time mostly, only occasionally it will be more then 5 hours.  They have water, like for a rabbit on there crate, and blankets. I really HATE Crating my Girls, but until Misty is trained, it is a Must unfortunalty.  Training is easy, I even had a Rottie Pup that slept in one at night. We just said Nite,Nite!!  And she went right in.  Lorna

Offline RottiesRmyLuv

• Gnawer
  • Britta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 09:08:19 pm »
lol, Jen   You have my Dream house.  We are in the middle of re-modeling and am getting my Doggie-Door this summer. Plus, Area's for my Girls, so Hopefully NO More Crates!!  Yeahhhh!!!  All my life growing up, we had Dogs. Never had a Crate. But, someone was always home, so it was never needed.  I live for the day I can give my Girls the freedom they need and require.  I Hate having to have them go to there Crates when we go to work.  Plus, if we go out to a Party ect... We know we have to be home in a couple hours to let them out.   Misty is ok when I tell her I am JUST going to WAWA, she knows I will be home in a few minutes.  But, if I left to go to work, she would tear up the door.  She wants to be by my side 24/7.    Am getting alot of Help from other Dog people and Groups, but if anyone here has any suggestions on Training for Mistys anxiety, I will take them.   :)  Lorna

Offline RottnPeytonsMom

• Gnawer
  • Peyton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 01:21:43 am »
I have crate trained Peyton and now that she is 100% potty trained i was going to take the crate away and let her be free. WRONG IDEA. She is attatched to her crate. Which isn't a bad thing really. At least I know that she is safe from trouble while I am at work. She goes in there whenever she is tired or if she thinks that she is in trouble. I never have used her crate as punishment though. Its like her private cave. The other dog in our household isn't allowed in there and other than to clean it I leave it alone so she thinks that it is hers and hers alone.
Please dont forget me, for if I thought you would I would never leave-Christopher Robin

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 01:16:36 pm »
Oh I crate our Rotts.  Avoids things getting eaten or wet while we're out...or windows gone through.  Lady loves her "bed" ... in fact how dare I call it a crate. 
Grace is learning that it's not a bad place.