Author Topic: Innova Success! And an EVO question..  (Read 5765 times)

Lyn

Innova Success! And an EVO question..
« on: March 13, 2007, 10:26:11 am »
We just finished the first bag of the Innova adult and no more loose poop and no more gas! YAY! :D

Lola did great with the switch right from the get go. Bubba took at little bit, but his poops are much smaller and he's only going 3 times a day now.

So the Innova is a HUGE success!

I also picked up a sample of EVO, They both LOVE it. I'm using it as treats at the moment but if all goes well in the digestion department I'm going to start using EVO as a mixer in the regular Innova for Bubba. :)

My question about EVO concerns Lola. She litterally does backflips for it, but she's only 11 months old.. so she's too young for the high protein right?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Innova Success! And an EVO question..
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 10:29:36 am »
are you talking about the canned?  i give it to diesel (10 months) b/c it's the only thing i can mix with his food to get him to eat.  he does really well on it, no diahhrea, really shiny coat, and he loves it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:30:02 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 10:33:26 am »
YAY!!  That's great news, I'm so happy Innova is working for Bubba!  I do think the protien in the EVO is a bit much for Lola right now, so I wouldn't feed it to her just yet.  Did you get the EVO food or treats?  They also make EVO treats, I think she could probably have on of those every once in awhile since she loves it so much. 

Modified to add:  I just checked the EVO treat info and the protien is still 47% so hmmmm not sure if that would be good for Lola or not.  Where's Holly when you need her?!?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:36:03 am by Anakalia »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:54:40 am »
I have tried adding Evo to Lily's food and seems like she just can't digest it. The kibble was coming out the same way it was going in. Then I bought a bag of Nature's Variety "Raw Instinct" (grain fee as well) and it's awesome! I know that most of you will desagree with me about the protein consumption by giant breeds but I do not think that the protein plays such an important role in the development of pups. Dogs need as much protein as they can get. I also desagree when vets say that you have to limit protein consuption by older dogs. Older dogs need the same amount of protein but in smaller portions.
Lily is 8 months now and she has been eating "Raw Instincts", which has 42% of protein, for the past month and a half and she only gained 5 pounds. She is definitely thriving on it.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 11:00:48 am »
i looked on the innova site, and the way we do diesel is we feed innova adult dog food (24% protein) and since diesel eats so much better with the evo, i add a little and some water to make it coat better.  the innova evo canned dog food only has 12% protein.  is that an ok thing to do?
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:11:08 am »
Oooops Yup.. I meant the EVO kibble. When I opened the sample bag she was sitting so nicely and behaving so I gave her a couple kibbles and she went into instant bouncy overdrive. LOL

So I guess the odd kibble as a treat is ok... but no large amounts for her. She's going to be ticked. LOL

Bubba is 25 months old now, so I was hoping the EVO might help bulk him up a little. I wanted to just mix the EVO with the Innova adult.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 11:14:26 am »
maybe you could add a spoonful of the evo canned?  it only has 12% protein.  neither liz or Anakalia has messaged back to put in what they thought about that though.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 12:10:36 pm »

I think there will always be a debate on this topic. We have been using Evo for a little over a year with Harley. I see it as feeding a raw diet. We have asked our vet (holistic vet) if it can be used for giant puppy breeds and she said yes no prob. It's just like feeding raw from puppyhood which lots of people do. I think that you should do what you think is right for Lola and what you think will be best for her. I worry about Harleys joints so I found some all beef glucosomine treats, and she gets 1 or 2 of those a day. If you are worried about joints maybe add some suppliments to their diet. Hope that helps

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 04:54:37 pm »
Awesome! I didn't think a small amount of EVO mixed with the Innova would really hurt her. But at the same time I've always read no protein over 22-24% protein for giant breed puppies. So that's kinda been drilled into my head. lol

But I eventually want to get Bubba up to a half Innova, half EVO mixture. Bubba needs some bulk.. he has a big head, big chest and then it tapers from there into a little waist and big butt. LOL

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 04:57:47 pm »
ha ha ha i know that look very well!  axle looked like that until he "filled out" and now diesel is in the phase!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 08:29:20 pm »
Yea for both you and Bubba!  I can't really answer the question because my guys aren't giant breed pups.  I will say that I just switched all three of mine over to EVO and they are doing great and Shiner just turned 1yo.  The EVO really helped Kaila put weight back on after she lost the weight because of her meds.  She looks awesome again and it's even helped Shiner's gassiness.  I add in Merrick wet food with their EVO but I have noticed that I don't really have to.  They like the taste so much they will eat it with no toppings. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 10:47:02 pm »
We've also recently switched fully to Innova Evo for Bava and Sophie, I've notice improved energy already, something I didn't really expect.  It's too soon to really tell too much, but I think their coats may be a little better also.

I personally can't see why it would be a problem feeding a pup  Evo if the amount is watched.  And they will feel more full eating protein than if they ate grains, so I don't think that will be a big deal. Just my 2 cents.  Glad you finally found something that agrees with Bubba.. Yay!
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 06:48:55 am »
We've also recently switched fully to Innova Evo for Bava and Sophie, I've notice improved energy already, something I didn't really expect.  It's too soon to really tell too much, but I think their coats may be a little better also.

I personally can't see why it would be a problem feeding a pup  Evo if the amount is watched.  And they will feel more full eating protein than if they ate grains, so I don't think that will be a big deal. Just my 2 cents.  Glad you finally found something that agrees with Bubba.. Yay!

[I agree! Not only they eat less of food but their stools are just like from eating raw diet...very small and very firm. Lily is 75 lb and she is eating only 2 cups a day plus some meat and bones. Good luck!]
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)