Author Topic: Help!!! He keeps Peeing In The House  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Help!!! He keeps Peeing In The House
« on: March 22, 2007, 01:27:21 pm »
Hey guys!!!  Haven't been around much but have been popping in to read now and then  ;D.  We have had Otis now for a month and he is just the biggest and cutest goof around.  Man I love that pup  :D.  Unfortunately after our great first week the only thing he has learned is to sit and the little bugger keeps peeing in the house!!!! 

I need help and advice big time  :(.  I've watched him, timed him, put him out, brought him in, scolded him, scolded the mess, yelled at him, talked nice to him, rubbed his nose in it and he keeps peeing.  Please help!!!!  cause everything I have tried just isn't working
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Help!!! He keeps Peeing In The House
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 01:32:34 pm »
lol not to laugh but you should read my 'what if he's marking' post. i can relate, relate, relate to you!!! and i know exactly how you feel. i've had ours for 5 wks..i haven't been able to figure it out either. :-\

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 01:43:19 am »
Well how old is he now? Have you tried crate training? Works like a charm. Also you should never scold him by rubbing his nose in it. The only thing you're teaching him is that what he is doing is bad. Try catching him as soon as he wakes up. Bring him right out and if he goes make a big party out of it. If you catch him in the act indoors, simply pick him up (if you still can)bring him out and praise him. I had 2 pyrs that took forever and ever. I learnt the really hard way. My little guy is almost there and he even comes to get me now when he wants to go out to the pen. Give it a try. Hope this helps.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 02:18:43 am »
Sierra still doesn't have the knack of going outside and outside only.  She has gotten a LOT better.  I think it's now just that she is able to hold it longer.  She does know she's not supposed to go in the house because if she does, she sneaks it.  Our vet said it could easily take til they are 5-6 months old...
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
  • Waco the Wonder Dog is ready to help Santa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 03:50:22 am »
If you know anything about Cockers, you know they don't have much in the way of bladder control. Several years ago I adopted a 6 month old cocker who'd been kicked and abused so he had submission peeing problems on top of the usual ones. It took time and a lot of praise but now he rings the jingle bell on the front door, paws the kitchen half-door, or simply sits up, stares, barks, and gives me the evil eye. He is insistent on telling me when he has to go out. He has about a 4-hour bladder and that's tops. My smaller dogs and my big dog can all go for longer times than Riley.

Riley is especially responsive to praise because of his background. He really wants to please. I would think puppies would have similar natures. I did big time praise. In fact, I would bend down and pat him on the head, give him a big kiss, and tell him how absolutely wonderful he was every single time he did any type of business. Over time Riley got it. Riley's smart but he's not a super genius. I would think a Pyr puppy would get it really quick, especially if you added pats and touching.

Hope things have improved! I'm answering this in case someone new comes along....
Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Teddy, Shih Tsu   6.5 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs
Waco the Wonder Dog, Great Pyrenees  2 yrs

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 08:25:50 am »
Seeing posts like this makes me so happy that we put in dog doors with kennels on the other side of the walls.  Wally, adopted at age 2, never made a mess in the house and Zita, adopted at 8 weeks, piddled a couple of times but that was it.  Infrastructure rocks.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua