Author Topic: Duke got his ears cropped  (Read 12104 times)

Offline MyDaneDuke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Duke got his ears cropped
« on: March 23, 2007, 06:09:57 am »
Well, Duke got his ears cropped Wednesday and already I am a nervous wreck.  My husband was in charge of finding the vet (our regular vet refused to crop), take him there, and pick him up because I just couldn't do it because of the horror stories I have heard about ear cropping.  Well he has stiches in his ears right now and it is already a nightmare. He is going to the vet again today to have them look at his stiches because one of them has come out. There's more to this story concerning the people who work at the vet...when I called to see how he did after the surgery one lady said "oh it's no big deal" and another lady told my husband that our dog was "yappy".  She's glad she didn't say that to me!  How about I cut your ears and put 100 stiches in them and see how you feel, lady? Not to mention the vet sent him home with virtually no instructions and I've called there a hundred times asking questions (I think they hate me).   The funny thing is this vet came highly recommended and is known as one of the best Animal Hospitals to take your pets.  Well, I will stop venting now...I'm just so worried about my puppy.  I feel so bad that I am putting him through this.  My husband tells me that I will be glad we did this one day, but I'm not so sure.  I'm also not saying anyone else who has had this done is a bad person...I think each person should do what is right for them.  However, I am the type of person that I worry about everything (you should see me with my son), so obviously this is really bothering me and I just think it's going to get worse when we have to do the taping! Maybe I'm just overreacting (I tend to do that  ;)) I mainly wrote for some support and some reassurance that he will make it through this okay.  I know many of you have Danes that have cropped ears and many of you have Danes that don't.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:14:13 am by MyDaneDuke »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Duke got his ears cropped
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 06:12:47 am »
i do know how you feel, we also went through the same thing and i still feel bad about it whereas hubby doesn't.  don't know about your situation but my hubby wasn't the one who had to take care of the puppy after it happened here so it made me feel that much worst.  did they give you any pain medicine, etc?  sure hope he feels better.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MyDaneDuke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:16:26 am »
i do know how you feel, we also went through the same thing and i still feel bad about it whereas hubby doesn't.  don't know about your situation but my hubby wasn't the one who had to take care of the puppy after it happened here so it made me feel that much worst.  did they give you any pain medicine, etc?  sure hope he feels better.

No...the lady told me "oh he won't be in much pain".  I wanted to scream at her.  Although, he honestly doesn't seem to be in pain...he is still playful and doesn't yelp or anything.  He does itch at his ears a lot though. The bad thing is my husband or I couldn't get off work to take him today, so my mother-in-law is taking him, she has a list of questions from me...lol!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:18:07 am by MyDaneDuke »

Offline MyDaneDuke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 09:29:35 am »
Well Duke's back from his vet visit today and the doctor says his ears actually are fine and that nothing is wrong with the stiches.  We now have cream to put on them...why we didn't get that yesterday I don't know.  Anyway, crossing my fingers and hoping for the best now.

Offline SnydersDanes

• Gnawer
  • Titan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:27:26 am »
Wow you are very brave.

I thought about getting Titan's ears cropped. I talked with our vet and she didn't want to have anything to do with it. She actually was really rude about it. She went on and on about how much pain the puppy would be in and it wasn't fair to put them through that much pain. I decided not too. Being a parent is hard enough sometimes but seeing your babies in pain didn't seem very fun to me.

Duke is soo cute!!

My husband wanted the fawn color dane and I wanted the mantle and harlequin. ;)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 10:47:56 am »

i have to laugh at this so hard, because that's the same way it is in our house!  even when hubby got caine, i told him, "ok, but if you get one it has to be that one" ha ha
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MyDaneDuke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 04:33:09 pm »
Wow you are very brave.

I thought about getting Titan's ears cropped. I talked with our vet and she didn't want to have anything to do with it. She actually was really rude about it. She went on and on about how much pain the puppy would be in and it wasn't fair to put them through that much pain. I decided not too. Being a parent is hard enough sometimes but seeing your babies in pain didn't seem very fun to me.

Duke is soo cute!!

Thanks!  Your mantle is beautiful (that was my second choice in color).  I really wanted a Fawn and we searched for one for awhile, my hubby wanted a black one, but that's a battle I won.

Our regular vet wouldn't do it either...we had to drive 40 minutes to a surgical vet to have it done.  I'm not really happy about the decision that my husband made...to me it's pointless to put him through this, but oh well it's done now so I just have to be there for him and love him and comfort him until this whole ordeal is over.
He does seem to be doing good though...he's running around and playing, being his normal puppy self.

Offline sunnydayz77

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 06:35:14 pm »
My first Dane I rescued had cropped ears. 6 monthes after he passed we decided to get a puppy.  He is now 8 months old I can say his long beautiful ears are my favorite thing about him!!!!!  Dog shows don't require the cropping anymore and it was originally done in order to prevent serious damage in times of fighting boars and other wild animals.   

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 06:38:50 pm »
how is Duke doing with his crop? and you with the taping? The stitches/scabbing should be long gone by now i guess?  Can't wait for pics of the wee guy...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Cimone101

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 01:59:38 am »
Oh my! I can answer lots of your questions! I 'm an expert ear taper, ear architectural engineer and ear tamer! Woops, looks like his ears might be done already! I should have read on down... If they are not standing perfectly email me and I will try and help.

Please do not feel bad about cropping them, so many people will try and lay a guilt trip on us for cropping. All of my danes have been cropped and I have only ever had one failure. That was my Kaiser and the reason they failed is there wasn't enough cartlidge in the ear. I had his ears taped up for well over a month. to make matters worse after the cropping his Mange showed up and almost all of his hair fell out. Imagine a oversized puppy with tapons ducktaped into his ears a dishtowel rolled up around his neck and big bald patches all over his body! He has a serious image complex after this. Don't worry though that is one dane horror story out of 6 sucessful croppings. The pic attached was just before the hair started really coming out!

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 10:42:09 am »
Not to be confrontationa l but why do you feel the need to crop the ears Cimone101?  As eluded to earlier it was originally done to prevent damage from Boar Hunting.  Are you hunting Boar? AKC shows have gotten on board and no longer have cropped ears as a breed standard.  To each his own and I am not one to judge others decisions. I belive S It is the owners call/ right to make the decison to crop or not to crop.  I am just curiouse as to why it is still done in Danes, Dobies, Boxers etc...
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 10:58:46 am »
I refused to get my danes ears cropped. i think theres a right to feel bad about doing it. think about it this way, would you want someone cutting yours apart and taping them up and being annoying? when it was done back in the day for hunting that was one thing, but i feel its just cruel to do it now. i think the cropping should be eliminated, like it is in some parts of the world. im not trying to sound mean or pushy, but i think its uncalled for. just think about it this way, would YOU want it done to YOURSELF?
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 02:28:22 am »
Alright people... remember this is not to be a debate. We each have our own opinion but don't get a little to stir crazy over this.
Had we gotten a puppy instead of a grown Dane this would have been a major battle with my hubby. Lucky we do live in Europe too so it is illegal. I win for the time being on our own front lines.

I hope Duke is doing well and the taping is doing it's job. Do you know which cut he got? I have never cropped or docked any dog so I don't have the foggiest knowledge on how to do any of it. I think that the massage sessions will be a great bonding experience.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08