Author Topic: When to bring them home?  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Cristel

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
When to bring them home?
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:59:35 am »
Hi!  I just got 2 beautiful, black & white Siberian Husky babies (a boy & a girl).  They are only 5 weeks so they are still with their Momma.  The breeder said that it is up to use when we want to bring them home, between 6-8 weeks old.  We raised another Siberian Husky (unfortunately he passed away), but we were not given the choice to bring him home before 9 weeks so I'm not sure what to do here.  Are there any disadvantages to bringing the puppies home before they are 8 weeks old?  Obviously I would like to bring them home ASAP, but I do not want to wrong them by bringing them home too early. 

Thanks,
Cristel

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: When to bring them home?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 01:50:09 am »
Two puppies!!! Very exsiting but... they really need to stay with their mother and siblings until they are 8-9 weeks old. At this age they learn how to play and behave. A lot of puppies which taken away from their mother at 6 weeks have nipping problems.
Good luck!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:26:04 am »
Congrats on the two pups, how exciting! I'd definitely wait until 8 weeks, they need that socialization from their littermates and mom.  About 10 yrs ago I got a husky from a breeder at 4 weeks old!  I didn't know any better at the time, but I paid for it.  We had all kinds of behavior problems with her and I truly believe it was because we had gotten her so early.  Good luck with the pups and I can't wait to see pics, husky pups are sooo cute!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 07:35:22 am »
i agree with everyone.  mom teaches her puppies SO much, and once you take them away they won't learn it the same way.  it can cause a lot of problems, because mom teaches then boundaries, and limitations that they MUST follow or she will punish them appropriately.  8-9 weeks is a good time but i wouldn't take them home any earlier.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]