Author Topic: Do all Pyrs blow their whole coat?  (Read 4498 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Do all Pyrs blow their whole coat?
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:06:06 pm »
Samson will be 1 yr. old on the 23rd of this month &, though I've noticed an increase in his shedding & he is definitely blowing his coat around his back legs & hind end, that's all I am seeing...is this normal?...Will I see a full fledged blowing of the coat eventually?...What have you all experienced?

BabsT

Re: Do all Pyrs blow their whole coat?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 07:09:18 am »
You will get the so-called fur storm...Most likey next year when he is more mature...Even though he is one, he is still a puppy.  He is probably getting rid of the rest of his puppy coat.  Zero is 8 months and only shedding but not alot but I fear next year LOL.  I am curious if there will be a differences considering he is on a raw diet...they claim they shed less but we will see LOL

Have you ever noticed your dog being more flexible than other breeds..My CAO is like those super flexible people contorshonists (sp?)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 07:26:28 am »
The shedding is very normal for the first year.  I use a rake on Sugar Bear to remove the undercoat. It is all I can do to keep Dixie still long enough to brush her. 

Dixie is very flexible, Sugar Bear is not.  Dixie can jump on in or around anything.  Sugar Bear is alot Rosie was a good nap in a soft place is the best thing in life.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

BabsT

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 07:31:13 am »
I love the rakes....what a great thing...I use mine ALL the time...the other thing I am happy for is a dyson LOL

Going to the lake today so the rake will come in very handy with the sand and debris WOOHOO

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 07:42:34 am »
Rosie (lost last summer) would never let me use the rake on her. I started using the rake on Sugar Bear at 8 weeks, and now he loves it.  Dixie is another story she is so busy finding something to get into I have to brush her while she is a sleep. 

Your baby will have such a great time at the lake.  We have a small lake on our property. Dixie and Sugar Bear play in it almost every day. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 08:42:29 am »
Yay for rakes!

I love mine, too.  So does Blizzard!

In fact, yesterday she got a little ticked that I was using a smaller version on the Pom I'm fostering.
I was kind of surprised that this Pom's coat was JUST like a Pyr's! Thick matted-up undercoat, nice straight water resistant top coat!

Anyway, I pulled out this smaller rake to work through the undercoat mats and strip away the thicker winter coat that was so clumped up to shed. I had the little guy on a newpapered covered coffee table and Blizzard comes in, sits down and makes that low, long grumbling sigh. My husband cracked up. But, after awhile her pride must have  gotten in the way, because she got up and walked off, giving me one last sigh as she looked over her shoulder and went down the hall. Guess she got tired of waiting in line.

I'm very lucky she loves to be brushed so much. She'll just sit there, on the newpaper I place on the floor, and let me brush her. I love gooming dogs. It's so relaxing plus, they look so pretty once you're done.

Oh, and as for blowing coats... I found it so much easyer  to just keep regular grooming. Dosn't seem as bad or as much trouble. Either she dosn't blow that much of her coat, or I've become to used to it that it's nothing and no big deal, now.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 09:44:52 am »
Wow!...Thanks for the input guys! :)  I brush Samson on a regular basis as he is in the house with us so hopefully it won't be too big of hairy (lol) deal when he does blow his coat...& thank god for the rake!...AMEN! ;D

ann

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 10:02:05 am »

gyp i hate to tell ya but when he does blow his coat no matter how much you brush you'll still have fur in your house ..you know how dakota is sometimes it seems the more ya brush the more fur they produce....... .

ann

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 10:18:13 am »
Yeah but I am sure Dakota does it just to be mean..LOL!..j/k! ;D

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 04:22:07 pm »
Most likely a partial blow this year Chelle.  It's kind of late in the season for coat blowing, so I doubt he is going to have a full blown blow this year.  Starts on the rear flank and back legs first.  Hang on!

PS, no coat blow for Arwen this year.  But she'll let you have it next year Im sure...lol

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 05:28:28 pm »
& I am SSSSSSSSOOOOOO OOO looking forward to it Jackie!...lol...I can't hardly wait! ;D