Author Topic: Gag.. Anal Glands...  (Read 4401 times)

Lyn

Gag.. Anal Glands...
« on: March 29, 2007, 12:39:57 am »
For the past 2 days Lola's anal glands have been leaking. I know..GAG! I called my vet and he said to add some fiber to her kibble to bulk up her stool and hopefully that will help to empty her anal glands normally. If that doesn't work, I'm to bring her in since it could be the beginning of an infection. :(

It's odd too since Lola doesn't not have loose stool/diarrhea. So I don't know why her anal glands would not be emptying normally. ??? But I think I'm going to go crazy if I have to scrub anal gland fluid off the carpet one more time. *GAG* LOL

Rice would work right? If anyone has any good fiber ideas feel free to let me know.  ;)

Lyn

Re: Gag.. Anal Glands...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:17:22 am »
LMFAO! Too funny! I'm wishing I had an exhaust fan in my bedroom right about now. I know she can't help it but DAMN! I've done more laundry and carpet cleaning in these past few days than I normally do in a month. LOL

I think I'm out of pumpkin and oatmeal. :( I know Bubba has gigantic poops when I was giving him rice in his kibble. I don't know if that's just him or if it would have the same effect for Lola.

This is just the worst timing for this too. Hubby started a new job so no paycheck until next week. :-\

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:29:01 am »
Thanks, Stella. Good point about the rice, constipation would be bad!

Nope, no allergies to grains that we know of. I might have some metamucil, I'll have to look. Actually I might also have some bran cereal too.

She will eat carrots if I shred them. So it looks like she's going to get some carrots for a snack today. ;)

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 01:44:45 am »
BLECH!  I know what you're going through hun, it's NOT fun.  The worst is when you can smell it but you can't find out exactly where it's coming from! lol  You've gotten great advice so far and I don't have much to add, but good luck, hopefully the fiber will fix this stinky situation!  :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 02:09:56 am »
EWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW boy do i EVER know how you feel!  we have to take axle to get his done every so often, because for some reason his won't drain no matter what.  the vet always LOVES us ha ha.  we always manage to stink up the entire building.  last visit the vet wanted us to consider having them removed ha ha.  anywho, good luck and keep us updated!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 03:03:27 am »
i've had an experience like that before!  axle only does it in cars on our long trips, like when we'd go from fort bragg home which was a 12 hour drive after we had kids.  he had a 6th sense and started doing it the second we left the house, and we got to smell it the whole time.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 01:27:30 pm »
Mika's been having this problem, too.  It's weird cuz we just switched to Innova EVO and her gas has been much less.  Then this past weekend, the husband took the kids for a 4 day camping/motorcycle trip (I had to work), so the girls slept on the bed w/ me.  Well, I woke to a bad smell and it was a "leak" from Mika... and she sleeps w/ her head near the foot of the bed.  Yep, her rear end was nestled up close to the pillows.  Talk about a "rude awaking"!!! :P
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 01:55:51 pm »
Hhahahaah EWWWW! I don't feel so bad now.. Lola's 'leaks' have been on the doggy blankets and carpet for the most part. But thank god no leaky today! :D Well now we know why she has horrible fish breath. hahaha LOL EWWWW!

Also I found a bag of mixed veggies in the freezer (green beans, carrots, peas and corn) so I gave her some for lunch and put some in her kibble for dinner. Hopefully it helps. *crosses fingers*

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 03:50:15 am »
I've had to deal with this with both Tucker and Tyra.... not fun.

Here is a link that might help:
http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0029.htm