Author Topic: Taking dogs into the USA  (Read 8446 times)

Offline Maxiesgirl

• Gnawer
  • Maxie Boy
    • View Profile
Taking dogs into the USA
« on: March 30, 2007, 06:58:13 am »
Hi there :D

I wanted to ask a question about taking dogs over the border to the USA from Canada.

We want to go  to Washington State to Port Angeles on the ferry from Victoria, just for the day.  We want to take Big Max with us.  When we emigrated in August he had a pet passport and had his rabies shots etc.  When we enter the USA do we have to have this paperwork with us? Anyone know? Don't want to get to the border only to be put back on the first ferry home to Victoria LOL! Don't want to upset any lovely customs men do we? We will probably confuse them anyway with our UK passports and Canadian permanent resident papers!

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks muchly.
Bren
Do what you will, but harm no living thing

k2campbell

Re: Taking dogs into the USA
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:08:15 am »
Hi Bren,

My guess would be yes, you would require some sort of doggie paperwork to cross the border into the US with Max. Having said that, you shoud be able to call Canada Customs to find out, they should know. I would check out the Service Canada website, it should give you a # to call...

www.servicecan ada.com

Just have to introduce myself as well, I'm Kelly and that's my Leo girl Kate, she'll be 2 in July. We live in Alberta, not too far from you in Victoria  ;) Max is a stunning looking Leo, from your avatar pic...

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:11:19 am »
You need proof of vaccinations, they ask sometimes and sometimes not. And you can't bring dangerous breed dogs into the States...not a problem for your leo. ann

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 07:11:34 am »
You should have received a rabies tag to place on his collar to denote having the shot but it wouldn't hurt to carry the paperwork along just to be on the safe side.  You can always call the customs department and explain what you want to do and see what they want you to have.  It might not hurt to have your vet fill out a health certificate also just in case a customs agent or someone else wants to be an a$$.  But someone else will probably have more helpful info for you than me since I live in TX.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Maxiesgirl

• Gnawer
  • Maxie Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 07:25:25 am »
Thank you for your replies. We had the pet passport made in the UK before we left and so we don't have any sort of tag for the rabies shot.  It says quite clearly on the pet passport that he has had his rabies shots and his vaccinations in June last year.
I think the advice to get a health certificate from our vet is a good one and I will also take along his pet passport just in case!
Thank you for saying nice things about Max. I think he is handsome but of course I am biased as we all are! He was still in his winter coat there in 2005 and I always think he looks better in winter.  He is not so big for a male Leo though. He is around 30 inches to the shoulder and weighs about 120 pounds. Our new vet here thinks he is overweight LOL! Obviously hasn't seen many Leos before! I don't mind him being slimmer though.  He can run like a greyhound and he can leap around five feet from standing to catch a ball in mid-air if you throw it up (one of favourite things to do!)People onthe beach where we walked in the UK used to be amazed to see him do this trick. I guess you don't expect such a large dog to be very athletic. That's my boy!

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 07:36:27 am »
I make regular trips to Washington to visit friends and attend leo shows.  I drive so I don't have experience with the ferry routine.  Sometimes it's a NIGHTMARE but a few weeks ago when I took my boys over it was a breeze.  We had a very nice man.
Bring your rabies certificate and any dog food you take with you must be unopened in it's original packaging and american made.  They will most likey check and conviscate it if it's not.  They will not accept canadian made vegetarian kibble either in case it was rendered in a plant that also manufactures kibble with meat ingredients.
Bring other proof of vaccinations if you'd like because you never know how jerky a border guard is going to be.  I've NEVER had to show them, just the rabies.

Offline Maxiesgirl

• Gnawer
  • Maxie Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 07:58:10 am »
Thank you FX girl for that information! We are only going for a day trip (hence using the ferry) as we have visitors over from the UK, so we won't be taking any food with us.We intend to go to Sequim National Park which is about 2o mins drive from Port Angeles.
I will get my vet to do a health certificate as looking at the pet passport customs may not immediately recognise the rabies vaccination in it (though they obviously did at customs in Vancouver when the boys arrived). I will try to cover all the bases. Our experience of customs in Vancouver when the boys arrived left us with a bad taste in our mouths as the customs officer was so obnoxious, for no apparent reason so we don't want to go through anything like that again!
Wow, your Leo in your pic sure is one big huggy boy isn't he? What a wonderful picture!

Do you know someone called Laurie Jalbert? She shows her Leos in the states, (well only one of them now) and was living in Abbotsford, then Sooke but she has now moved to Kimberley. I believe she was going to a big show in the states this March. She is a friend of mine.
Thanks again,
Bren

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 02:39:41 pm »
I have crossed back and fourth between US and Canada with my dogs many many times. The only thing they have ever asked (maybe 40% of the trips) for is a rabies certificate. They have never even matched the dogs by breed to the certificates nor have they asked about dog food ect.....

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 10:13:06 am »
A health certificate is probably overkill but what the heck.  They are only concerned with Rabies as it is a public health concern.  Same goes for Mad Cow disease that by some chance might be in dog food OR in the pastrami sandwhich I made to take with me on the trip.  They've gotten crazy tight crossing over on the west coast.  I've learned the hard way and now I pack lightly.

No, Laurie does not ring a bell.  Her dog's name might though!  haha  What's her dog's name?  If she was at the LCA Spring Specialty a few weeks ago and competed I may have her name in the program.  The "big show" is in a couple of weeks in North Carolina... if that's the one you're talking about.  I'd love to one day participate in the National.