Author Topic: Saints and cats?  (Read 5689 times)

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
Saints and cats?
« on: March 13, 2007, 04:36:08 pm »
Hi all,
I am wanting to adopt a rescue Saint female, 5-yrs.  I have found her, though we haven't met.  We have two indoor cats and a golden retriever female, also 5-yrs.  How are Saints with cats?  Ours are not agressive, but will take a swipe at the dog if she's bothering them to play.  Does the breed generally tolerate (ignore?) cats and other small animals?  I know there will be an adjustment period.  I had a female Saint as a teenager, but we didn't have cats then.  Any input from experienced Saint & cat parents?  Thanks!
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Saints and cats?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 04:42:15 pm »
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,16541.msg200134.html#msg200134

here's an inspiration thread for you to see.  you might want to ask how she was raise (if they know)  if she was raised with cats she's probably good with them, if she wasn't or if she was a stray for a long time she may either plain ignore them, try to play with them or if she was on her own for a long time (unlikely), she might see them as fair game (one of our dogs was a stray for a very long time apparently and sees some small animals as a food source although it has gotten better since we've had her!).  since she's older and not a puppy, how she was raised or how tolerant she is will help clue you as to if she'll do good with them.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 04:52:56 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 06:28:30 pm »
Thanks for citing my post! ;)

Here's my two cents: I would say do introductions on a leash so that you have control. Also, I'd do the introductions in the cats' environment, so the dog walks in knowing it's their home. I've done that with my fosters and my dogs.

Riley came in as a puppy. Also, Thomas, the cat in the picture, is the dominant animal in the house. I also have two of his brothers-Turbo and Bevo (rescued all of them together)-and Turbo is second in line, then Riley, then Sadie. Bevo doesn't seem to be aware that there is a power structure. LOL Thomas can just look at the dogs a certain way, and they walk away. Turbo, however, will hiss and whatnot, which excites the dogs. Then he ends up running off, b/c they're trying to play. I still think he's dominant, though, b/c he can walk down the hallway and they will move for him. Bevo will get chased sometimes, but he generally stays out of the dogs' way.

So I guess it depends on a few things: the tempraments of the dog and the cats (sounds like the cats are okay with your other dog) and the heirarchy. If the dog wants to play with the cats like my dogs, it helps if the cat is dominant and can stop the situation when it wants. If the dog is indifferent, then the only way it will impact the cats is if they are afraid of her size; however, you already have a fairly large dog, so that seems like it won't be an issue. If the dog has issues with cats like aggression, then that particular dog may not be right for your home. But that doesn't mean there won't be a Saint out there who is right for your home.

One more of Thomas and Riley:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 06:29:45 pm by macybean »

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:04:08 pm »
We have no trouble with our Saint and our cats.  He will chase a stray cat off the property but won't hurt it.  He is very tolerant of our 5 cats, thou every time one of the cats decides that Slugger looks like a great play to rub against he looks at us the those "Why me" eyes  ;D.  When we have introduced a new cat to the household it has always been in the house and he just seems to realize that the inside ones are family and leaves them alone.  Hope you have good luck with your intergration.
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 01:01:57 am »
I think it would all depend on her personality and if she's ever been around cats before.

Lola will chase all our cats if they run. But if they sit there and ignore her she's fine.

On the other hand Bubba's best bud is a stray cat (we named Charlie, :D ) that someone dumped off here. He LOVES that cat, and will whine and cry the blues if Charlie doesn't acknowledge him. He will play 'chase' with my kitty Lucy, but she starts it by running up and biting his leg and running so he chases her or she will jump on his head and give him a couple whacks to initiate 'the chase'. lol

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 01:43:57 am »
 :)Hi, all!  Here's an update:
I shouldn't have worried one bit over Annie getting along with the cats!  She's been home one week, and she has accepted the cats as part of the house.  She did meet each of them face-to-face, and they let her know what they thought of her!  PhatCat and NormaJane each gave her a growl and a hiss, and Annie looked at them and backed away a little, and she's figured out that they run too fast for her!  The cats are not afraid of Annie, and she basically ignores them.  It's working out great!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 01:44:51 am by happiday »
Salli, Annie's mama!

Anakalia

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 01:47:24 am »
That's wonderful news! When we rescued our cat he did the hissy growl thing and tore Koby's nose open with one swipe!  It was a bit scarey but within a couple weeks they became friends....kin da.  One minute they'll be beating the crap out of each other and the next minute my cat will be cleaning Koby's ears! lol  Silly animals.  ;D