Author Topic: Breeding  (Read 21076 times)

DenverFurKiddos

Re: Breeding
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 11:52:27 am »

Whoa...While I FULLY support (to the infinite degree)that breeding requires education and must be done to the betterment of the breed...Let's remember why most of us came to this site-- for education.  Bashing others for their opinions is not productive.  I'm a perpetual lurker on this site, and I genuinely enjoy and value the information that I have received, but attacking others is not helpful.  If anything, it will deter others from sharing opinions, impede the learning process, all to the detriment of our animals.   

Okay, taking my therapist hat off for now......

Offline Kierstyn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 12:41:46 pm »
Hello,

I have talked it over with alot of people, and have decided the tests will be done, even if she is unregistered. All out puppies we have bred over the years have been sold on a spay/neuter contract and we do follow up on that. Proof is to be sent to us before the pups birthday. ANd if not, as the contract states, me and my family will take back the dog. THanks for everyonese help.

This is the last time i will be on.

Thanks again

Kierstyn

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 01:24:42 pm »
Kierstyn- Please reconsider- it is estimated that every day 800 dogs are euthanized on an hourly basis because there were not enough homes and enough people to love them. Your family and friends could find some wonderful deserving pups in rescues or high kill shelters that are just as wonderful as your dog. You have no guarantees that any of these puppies that you are wanting to bring into this world would have forever loving homes for thier entire lives. If you are raising them for livestock purposes, or show, or guardians- thats one thing- but just because, is a some what selfish gesture. I hope that you dont take any of this the wrong way- but it is sad and heartbreaking to know how many dogs are euthanized on a daily basis.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 01:50:08 pm »
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 02:15:50 pm »
I, for one, would be too curious not to come back and check for more replies, so I am going to reply...

If your vet said that tests are just a method of getting more money for the puppies, change vets. Your vet does not have the best interest of those potential puppies in mind, nor does that person know what they are talking about.

I agree with everyone here: Breeding really should be done to better the breed. Breeding dogs should be champions. I'm sure you're baby is great, but why not just enjoy her yourself? Maybe the homes you've lined up (particularly if you've lined up the 11-13 homes you'll need for the babies of a giant breed) can check out your local shelter. How wonderful would it be if that many dogs who might otherwise be put down found homes? As far as owning papered dogs, I don't: my Lab is a rescue who had papers at one point and came from who knows what kind of breeder and I didn't care to send in my Saint's papers. This discussion has nothing to do with who has papers and who doesn't; it's about the well-being of your dog and the puppies she might have.

I don't think that people here have been harsh. It's hard to get a point across that you are passionate about, particularly when you feel that people may not listen. As someone involved in rescue in my town, I get an email everyday-EVERYDAY-with a list of animals who are up for euthanasia at the local pound, complete with their "deadline", a description, and a photo-animals being put down everyday. Our pound puts down 13,000+ animals a year, and we have a large no-kill intitiative. They do the best they can. Sometimes I wish that everyone got that email. The dogs are all great. Please don't contribute to the problem.

At the very least, get a better vet who knows what they are talking about. At a minimum, you owe your dog that.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:39:52 pm by macybean »

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 02:36:24 pm »
I work at the Humane Society and I put dogs to sleep every day. It's not a job I am proud of. EVERY DAY I do it because we have no room and the dogs keep coming. Most of the dogs got too big OR got a health problem they couldnt afford to pay for so gave them to us. We send most giant breeds to rescue, but occasionally, we get one that got too big to stay indoors and lived outside its whole life and became aggressive and territorial. Those dogs get worse at shelters and become unmanagable, and we have to euthanize it.

Please please please don't contribute to the problem that i deal with every day. BREED for a REASON not just to have pups to give to families and friends.
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 02:46:00 pm »
I work at the Humane Society and I put dogs to sleep every day. It's not a job I am proud of. EVERY DAY I do it because we have no room and the dogs keep coming. Most of the dogs got too big OR got a health problem they couldnt afford to pay for so gave them to us. We send most giant breeds to rescue, but occasionally, we get one that got too big to stay indoors and lived outside its whole life and became aggressive and territorial. Those dogs get worse at shelters and become unmanagable, and we have to euthanize it.

Please please please don't contribute to the problem that i deal with every day. BREED for a REASON not just to have pups to give to families and friends.

You should not be ashamed. So many people fail to recognize the problem. Those of us that do "see" it and do our best to help can usually still step away at times. You can't, because you're in the middle of it. It takes a strong person to stand in those shoes.

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 03:06:52 pm »
Thank you. As a result of my work I can say i have developed a bitterness to people in general, mainly people that dont see dogs the way i do, as REAL souls and we are the only "voices" they have.

Kierstyn, In my opinion if you want puppies so bad, foster a litter from your local shelter, and have your family and friends adopt one of those. Everyone wins. We have a litter of Anatolian Shep/Lab mixes right now that no one will foster because at 5 weeks they are already huge, and they need people who have big dogs to foster them and find people who want them, because big dogs are hard to find homes for.

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 03:18:58 pm »
ok, you guys know i love you, i also really do agree, and i really do support rescues and rescuing animals in need.  but, i wanted to put in that we should have also included these good points in our statements at the beginning.  i only say this because she has agreed to testing which was originally what everyone said they wanted, but now all new things (although VERY legitimate) are coming up.  it would seem to a new person you're finding reasons for her personally not to breed.  i know this isn't true, i'm just saying that if i didn't know how great you guys are, that is the impression i would get.  just wanted to bring this up because i didn't want her to think that we are out to personally bash her, it's just that no one brought these points up originally.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 03:19:29 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 03:44:26 pm »
just wanted to add that i'm not saying that i think you guys are wrong (i agree whole heartedly), i just wanted to put that we're not singling her so that she may come back and consider what we're saying and not run off thinking we're hateful or that we're out to bash her.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 04:15:26 pm »
I just have a few quick points to make and to add.

-YES, you should test your Berner.  As a responsible and caring owner I would think that you would want to.  Not only will it make sure that she is not handing down defects to her pups such as cancer, bad eyes, hip dysplacia (sp?), ect.  It will give you a heads up as to anything that she might have wrong with her that you didn't know about.  If you catch things sooner then they are usually cheaper and easier to fix.  If you do not want to spend the money on testing your dog now do you realize how much it is going to cost you anyway to have the litter?  The c-section, puppy check ups, shots, extra puppy food for the mom, food for the puppies, countless hours of lost sleep because they all whine at the same time....

-NO, no, no, no, no! you should not breed her before she is 2 years old.  It runs a higher risk of her getting hurt, dying, or her pups dying.  It also runs a higher risk of her pups having birth defects.  As well as the HUGE factor of her being too young to be a mother.  If you wait for her to mature she most likely would be a great mom.  When you breed too soon you stress the mom out and you can end up with her not taking care of her pups properly.  I would never breed my dogs before 2 years.  I would rather that they never had pups

-It is up to you as far as breeding with or without papers.  I personally do not think that it is a good idea.  There are already enough Berners in the world to adopt or buy.  If you personally just want to breed because you think that she is a great dog I do understand.  However, that is still not a good enough reason to breed her.  Most likely at least one third to half of that litter will end up homeless or in a shelter.  Do you really want to make the decision to breed her and know that half of her litter will some day be looking at being put down just because they aren't cute anymore?  I have a shih-tzu who is gorgeous....I have had a ton of people that wanted to use him as a stud...he doesn't have papers and people don't care....but i care....shih-tzus are cute puppies but they aren't so cute when they are peeing everywhere and biting on ppl's kids and before you know it they are sitting in a cage at the local spca.  i love sparky and i would never trade him for any other dog but not all ppl commit to their dogs like that.  if you do breed be very picky who you let take the puppies.
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 10:13:51 pm »
I am sorry but another negative input here I also own a Berner from a reputable Breeder both parents health tested and hip and elbow scored and both parents met.They can be a hard breed in as much as they take longer to grow up and I did plenty of research and am still learning loads about the breed.Also some serious health issues.
He is a gorgeous boy,but he was neutered at 6 months as we did not want him for showing or breeding personally I do not know anything about it,and if at anytime I did want to venture down that road  I would ask my Breeder to give me as much help as possible as she has been breeding for many years.I don't think you should breed till she has turned 2 and although as you say pups are going to Friends and Family that does not make it ok not to have the relevant health tests done,those of us that bought with the tests done know we could still encounter many of the problems this dog suffers from and it will be end up with losing them at an early age and having to deal with some heartbreaking situations possibly but to a point we are prepared.
At the end of the day you will make your own decisions but I do hope you will not take them lightly and give  the input you have been given some serious thought before making your final decision.Wishi ng you well whatever you do and not intended as a personal attack just a lover of the breed and I personally wish more thought was given to breeding any breed before people venture into it.
May save so many dogs ending up in rescue.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 10:15:02 am »
Hello,

Once again I accept everyones points of veiw. One more question. If I went along with the testing... as I do have a chance next year to go with a family friend, does it matter that she is unregistered? Is it the fect that she is unregistered why i shouldnt breed her?

Hi Kierstyn:

You have received a tremendous amount of information on why you should not breed your girl and I just wanted to clarify a few things as a Berner owner and one who works in Berner rescue, with fosters here right now.

It is not that your dog is unregistered that you should not breed her per se - but you also do not seem to understand the larger implication. 

The reason for that age of two years old for testing is because the Orthopedic Foundation of America (www.offa.org) will not "ceritify" hips, elbows, shoulders etc. before the age of two because the growth plates have not closed and the dog is still growing.  Many orthopedic problems like hip and elbow dysplasia are not readily apparent before this time as a result.  A good breeder would never breed a dog without orthopedic clearances and I hope that you will seek this certification through the OFA at a minimum.  An even better orthopedic indicator is the PennHip which you can do earlier, but again you do not know what you have yet in a Berner under the age of 2 - she is still a baby!

How about the serious genetic incidence of malignant histiocytosis?  What genetic research into your girl's pedigree (and the male you are using) have you done to try to manage this problem?  I lost a Berner at 2 years and 9 months to this incidious disease and you won't be doing anything responsible if you ignore it and breed without regard. 

How about Von Willebrands disease? Without testing both your girl and the male you use, you could be passing on this fatal disease that I wouldn't wish on anyone.  If both dogs parents are clear, then they by definition can't carry it either, but if you don't know who the parents are or better - they came from an unethical breeder, mill or poor eastern european county, then you have to test your girl and male to know.

I could go on with the health issues in this breed including CERF clearances for the eyes (entropian, ectropian and PRA are all in the breed), heart certification and more.....

But the most important factors here are beyond these:  If you have an unregistered girl from unregistered parents it clearly says where these dogs have come from and the level of education from the people behind those dogs. And the lack of proper health screening over generations is doing nothing to help this breed.  The reason so many are asking you not to breed is because you may have a girl who may be a very poor candidate for breeding, and a poor representation of the breed. Just because she is a Berner, does not mean she has the proper structure, size, and health that will contribute something to this breed since you are adding to the population. Every time I have encountered someone like you who just wants to breed their Berner that they got ahold of without any testing, genetic research, and proper showing to know whether their dog should even be bred - I have then seen the Berner and they are horrible examples of the breed. Poor structure or type does matter since it affects orthopedics and the way the dogs functions/moves. 

Going back quickly to the orthopedic testing - simply testing your girl and the male honestly isn't enough. Go to the OFA website I provided and look at how dysplasia is passed to offspring.  Good breeders study pedigrees and seek a mate that best compliments the weaknesses in their dog - it requires that they know what those weaknesses are and find a mate that will offset those.  Great breeders also know that two "clear" dogs can still produce orthopedic nightmares because one must also study the orthopedic clearances of all the siblings of your girl and the male you select...as well as the orthopedics for their parents and grandparents.  If her parents and grandparents don't have orthopedic clearances, then they were bred irresponsibly and your girl should not be bred.

One last example for you:  I have been working for the past two weeks with two families who each purchased a Berner from the same litter, same breeder. This breeder bred a male who was only one years old, no clearances. She doesn't know yet what she has in that male and did it anyway.  This is a young male who came from a good breeder, with orthopedic clearances behind his pedigree, but he didn't have them himself. His pedigree is well known 8 generations behind him.  And yet, he produced a mess - seizures, encephalitis, severe hip dysplasia, OCD in the shoulder, a broken bone in one puppy, and disformed elbows in another.

The bottom line is breeding should never be undertaken without regard for what you are producing - the soundness and genetic health of those puppies and the fact that you are responsible for them for life - if their owner cant take care of them, are you prepared to take them all back? If you bring them into the world, you are responsible for their lifetime.

Unless you aren't breeding for the betterment of the breed....
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 11:59:29 am »

Actually, I would strongly encourage anyone and everyone to continue to post in this thread.  Keep in mind that the original poster is not the only person reading this thread.  There are many people reading this now and many more will read it in the future. 
I, personally, do not feel that the original poster is being bashed.  Yes, a few members are very blunt and passionate in their opinions.  But, so far, I do not feel that anyone has crossed the line of civility.

I totally agree. Alot of dogs are in shelters or homeless, because of uneducated people, who just dont listen to what others have to say...
i think its a very good topic open for discussion and alot of people, i guarentee, have or has or IS pondering anything to do with this topic. doesnt really have anything to do with one person, or one specific breed, etc. etc. :)

Jodi
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 06:02:19 am »
SC trojans & Dahlie Juju have made some excellent points I really hope you read them and take note of them and decide not to breed from your girl.