Author Topic: Appetite? please help  (Read 6859 times)

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Appetite? please help
« on: May 02, 2007, 03:51:50 pm »
Okay so Atlas suddenly isnt eating as much as he used to. He was wolfing down 1.5 cups twice a day so i upped him to 2 cups and now he doesnt even seem to want to finish 1.5 cups... He is acting fine, playing everything, drinking, but isnt finishing all his meals. So I am going to go back to 1.5 cups. He is on Royal Canin Maxi puppy. He is 12 weeks old now. Anyone else experienced this in large breed pups? Do they go through growth periods where they eat more than other days?  ???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 05:00:50 pm by Brownis15 »
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Appetite? please help
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 05:47:28 pm »
Since he's playing, drinking and seems happy, it just sounds like normal puppy growth spurts to me.  In my experience, they eat more during a growth spurt and less in between.  I think that I'd only be concerned if his appetite really dropped or if he seemed lethargic and just not himself.  Enjoy the puppy breath!   :-* 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 11:42:28 pm »
Check the food first for the recall. Both of my girls go through times where they don't eat, it does not go beyond 24 hrs, but there have been times that the food went down and they would not eat.

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 01:27:56 am »
thanks guys, his food isnt on the recall, it isnt the lamb and rice puppy food. I called royal canin since i had thrown away the bag and they said the bad stuff isnt in the food im feeding. This morning he ate a ton, so I guess it is just growing! :)
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:53:26 am »
My Mastiff puppy is 4 months old and is in the same rut.  Somedays he will eat more than others but this morning he only ate a cup of food.  He is 65 pounds @ 4 months so he is good sized but not a chow hound by any means. I feed Nutrisource wich is a great food. I find if I liven the food up(add raw hamburger, high quality canned food etc...) I can prompt him to eat more if I feel he has not eaten enough over a period of time. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 12:42:59 pm »
My inlaws have a GSD and she doesn't eat when she is in a rut....aka outta the growth spurt for the moment....then suddenly she wants to eat....don't worry...it's probably fine
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 07:52:50 pm »
I bet he'll go through that a lot while he's growing! Funny because mine are not in a growth spurt now either and it's very obvious. I had upped their meals from 2 cups a day to 2.5 because they ate SO much and finished it in just a couple minutes. The last few days, they barely touch their food ..maybe eat a few pieces and leave the rest. They are close to 5 mos now and they've done this a few times already. I expect it to pick up again sometime soon!

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 08:39:48 pm »
lol well hes back in the spurts now, he is gobbling down his food, lol, but next time he goes into a rut I'll know its okay, thanks  :)

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon