Author Topic: Toy Drive  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Toy Drive
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »
Okay, first question to anyone and everyone (not just german shep owners)

I am an obedience trainer, and i am used to some dogs being food or toy motivated, but in order for atlas to be a good narc dog he has to LOVE and LIVE for toys. He has a natural drive and likes to run over and grab a toy, but wont bring it back just yet. He's only 8 weeks onld so we have 10 months till he goes to school. Any advice you guys could give me would be great!

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Toy Drive
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 01:47:22 pm »
you can tie one of those thin ropes to the toy, and when he grabs it pull it back to you with the rope and praise him just like he brought it back to you.  maybe he'll get the picture that the fun doesn't stop when he brings the toy back!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 01:53:32 pm »
Thats a good tip, thanks,

keep em coming people!

Also, anyone else have a GSD that just is a nut about tennis balls or anything?
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:54:19 pm »
I taught my Aussie, Mojo, to play with toys by using a clicker.  He thought toys were beneath him until then.  lol

You're going to think I'm crazy with what I did for my dogs that already enjoyed playing.  lol I would pick a special "toy".  That toy would be kept up out of reach and at first I would only pick it up randomly and act really excited about it.  I do this on and off during the day, making sure the dog was paying attention, for about a week.

After the dog realised this was an exciting thing, I would start including the dog after picking it up and getting excited about the toy.  I would always put the toy back afterwards, since it was a SPECIAL toy, not one of those meager everyday toys.  ;)

After lots of interaction like this, I would start using playtime with the toy as a reward for the dogs 'work'.  The more hyped up you get about the toy, the more excited the dog will be.  :)

It also helps if you have an idea of what kind of toy the dog prefers.  Mojo loved tuggies, but Faust(GSD) and Zeo(BC/Sheltie) loved balls & frisbees.  So learn what his preference is and then build on that.  Being a GSD, I'm sure that he won't need too much encouragement to "turn on" to a certain toy anyways.  lol  Good luck with him!  :)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:56:10 pm »
I forgot to add that Faust is obsessed with rocks, tires & laser lights... but he'll settle for a tennis ball or frisbee.  ;) 
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.