Author Topic: Puppy Food for Senior  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Puppy Food for Senior
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:40:36 pm »
Hi All: 

I have a question.  Would there be any downside to feeding a senior (9yr) Saint large breed puppy food?  The reason I ask is that we have a 5mth old Pyr and no matter what food I buy they both only eat the puppy food.  They will eat the senior only when I am out of puppy food. Soam thinking of just feeding the large breed puupy food to both of them.  What do you think??

Oh and also before you say anything, there in no chance of me seperating them at dinner time.
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Offline ShaggysMom

• Gnawer
  • Summer by the pool!
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy Food for Senior
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:46:30 pm »
Have you thought about switching to Canidae?  It is an all life stages formula.  We used that for the first year with a senior and 2 bp puppies.  Ours switch bowls all of the time.  Can't separate them either!
Mom to 1 giant and 2 large.

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 01:45:32 pm »
Thats a perfect idea.  I think that would work.

Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 04:33:40 pm »
Unfortunately I have never seen or heard of Canidae :(.  I live in a small town and choices are limited.  You can get the regular supermarket choices or our feed store has just afew choices.  I was feeding Nutro Natural Choices which they loved, but then with the pet food scare and some other problems the feed store had with dealing with that company they pulled that brand.  I am currently trying them on Techni-Cal a Canadian brand; failing that is it either Science Diet, Skoi (sp?), acouple of real cheap brands and some totally "green" mega overprices choices.  :(.

Do you thing that the puppy food would harm my older dog??  I would only be feeding it for another 6 months anyway.  It has Glusomide in it too which is something we current supplement our old guy with. 
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:12:39 am »
Our feedstore used to special order dog food for us.  Sometimes if you find a food you like, you can look online to see if a distrubution place will ship it to you.  We do that now, and I found a place that ships free to Iowa.  Another brand of dog food that's for all life stages is Natural Balance Ultra Premium Dog food, that's sold at Petco.  Good luck hopefully you can find something that works for your two!  :)