Author Topic: i don't think fumble likes his food???  (Read 5209 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
i don't think fumble likes his food???
« on: April 03, 2007, 06:23:50 am »
Hey all!  i'm having a bit of dilemma right now.  I'm not too sure that fumble likes his food anymore.  I don't know if dogs get bored w/ food like people do, but i think that he's definately bored with his.  He seems to never want breakfast anymore, yet he's alwyas ready to eat a treat.  I was wondering if anyone had any recall free foods that they might suggest to switch to??  The only problem is taht the food can't have chicken or egg products in it (he's allergic).  right now he's on sensisitve skin and stomach by pro plan, which he loves for dinner, but not breakfast.  i've tried putting cottage cheese and peanut butter in it, but i fear now that i've just created a picky eater when it comes to it... i know it's my own fault!!  but i do want him to eat his breakfast again! he's a growing boy and needs his nutrition!  ;) any suggestions would be greatly appreciateD!!  thanks! :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: i don't think fumble likes his food???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:34:11 am »
lol yeah, our dogs get bored with their food too.  we switch at least the flavors every two weeks on everybody but diesel, who we're looking for a second food to alternate with now also.  not sure what you could use without eggs or chicken in it though, sorry!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 06:58:33 am »
Could it be he's just not hungry in the morning?  Koby went through that phase for a bit.  He wouldn't get hungry until lunchtime, he's soooo lazy in the morning anyway. lol  What's the main ingredient in that sensative tummy formula?  I'm thinking it's Salmon, if so and you want to switch I found California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato, it looks like it has no egg or chicken in it.  I'm sure there are others out there but I LOVE California Natural food! Good luck!

dohertyswissy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:17:39 am »
I feed Ranger Blue Buffalo food.  He is on the Chicken and Rice Formula, but the do have a Fish and Sweet Potato Formula or a Lamb and Brown Rice Formula that has no chicken or egg in it.

Maybe that will satisfy the picky guy.  I don't blame him though, mornings don't suit me either!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 07:42:35 am »
If he eats it at night but not in the morning, I would be more inclined to think he's not hungry like the others said. But, Canidae Lamb and Rice doesn't contain the chicken or egg either. Mine are on this one.

Benefits
 Made with Human-Grade Lamb and Nutritious, Whole Grain, Brown Rice
 Hypoallergenic Formulation – Excellent for Problem Skin & Allergies
 Pure Human-Grade Canola and Sunflower Oils
 Holistic & Herbal Benefits
 Natural Skin and Coat Conditioners
 Balanced Omega 6 & 3 Fatty Acids
 Guaranteed Prebiotics, Probiotics and Enzyme Activity
 Fortified with Antioxidant Vitamins and Amino Acid Chelated Minerals
 Excellent Palatability – Dogs Love the Taste!

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (min.) 21.00% 
Crude Fat (min.) 12.50% 
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.00% 
Moisture (max.) 10.00% 
Lenoleic Acid (Omega 6) (min.) 3.55% 
Vitamin E (min.) 160.00 IU/kg
Calcium (min.) 1.40% 
Phosphorus (min.) 1.00% 
Zinc (min.) 260.00 mg/kg
Iron (min.) 300.00 mg/kg
Alpha Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) (min.) .75% 
Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) (min.) 50.00 mg/kg
Lactobacillus Acidophilus (min.) 100 million CFU/lb
Cellulase (a) (min.) 100 CMCU/kg
pH  6.0 

(a)  One carboxymethyl cellulose unit (CMCU) is that amount of enzyme which liberates one micromole of reducing sugar (expressed as glucose equivalents) in one minute under the conditions of the assay.

Calculated Caloric Content
ME (kcal/kg) 4022
ME (kcal/g) 4.03
ME (kcal/lb) 1828
ME (kcal/cup) 457

All Natural Ingredients
Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Lamb, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, L-Lysine, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of Vitamin B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Organic Selenium, Dried Papaya, Dried Pineapple, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 07:59:31 am »
Yep, he probably isn't hungry. Oreo has gone through these phases. I just adjust food quantity a bit for both meals. Oreo is eating Pinnacle Food now:
http://www.breeders-choice.com/dog_products/pinnacle_dog_trout.htm

He seems to really like it.

Jason

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 08:12:14 am »
Poor Fumbs. I hope you find a food that his taste buds like. I would suggest Eagle Pack Holistic because Bear has a sensitive tummy too and used to get bored often  ::) but he has been on this food for over a year and still loves it. Unfortunately it has some chicken in it.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 09:11:32 am »
If you've found a food that he isn't allergic to I think the easiest, less stressful thing to do is buy canned food and add it to the dry kibble.

Add 1/3 can of California Natural or yummy Merricks(comes in a mulitude of concoctions) or whatever.  Some of Merricks canned food have a real soupy consistancy so it's easy to mix in.

Another thing I do is buy those huge rolls of Natural Balance.  My dogs will do ANYTHING for a Natural Balance treat.  Grate it with a cheese grater and mix it into the food.

Both suggestions are very healthy and don't contain eggs and have non-chicken options to choose from.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 09:12:45 am by FXgirl »

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 10:09:16 pm »
thanks everyone for your great suggestions!!! :)  i'll look at some of the foods when i get home from work tonight.  i think he might just not be hungry in the morning too... although he loves his treats! lol!  i swear he thinks he's a real person, like kids who don't like cereal but like the fun stuff in it!! lol!  hehe!!  Thanks again!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!