Author Topic: new puppy owner - Akita  (Read 9139 times)

Offline pgirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
new puppy owner - Akita
« on: April 12, 2007, 07:28:08 am »
Im new on here and i have all these questions, so i figured i should register. We have a 2 month old Akita. She is adorable! We have her in a big crate during the day when we work..is that ok? i hear different opinions that we shouldn't leave the dog locked up and alone..but hey we have to work! I have been going home for lunch when i can to let her out and of course to play with her. Does anyone have any thoughts about leaving her in a crate? Also i do have a big backyard, but im not sure when its ok to leave her alone outside. I guess eventually but how old?  If anyone has any suggestions or opinions, especially from a Akita owner, that would be super!

thanks  :)

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: new puppy owner - Akita
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 07:40:49 am »
Hello pgirl.  I'm Misty and I'm owned by Gracie a 10 month old English Mastiff.  Welcome to BPO and trust me you've come to the right place for excellent information.

I 100% with the way you are caring for your puppy so far (I actually still come home at lunch everyday and let Gracie out to potty and play as well).  Crate training is very good for dogs at this age.  They may not all agree in the beginning but like Jenn said your baby may soon find it as a safe place when you guys are away.

Glad to have you both here and we look forward to seeing lots of pictures of your fur baby.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:49:41 am »
HI there!  Craiting is a great way to train your new pup! I'm Andi, mom to Koby (great dane) and Quinn (cat).  I just wanted to welcome you to BPO! 

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 08:42:52 am »
welcome!! I think it sounds like you are on he right track! It is hard when everyone you know forces theri opinion on what THEY did with THEIR dog and how their dog is the GREATEST DOG EVER. But you have it spot on!

A tip I may give is socialize that fluff ball to the extreme right now!!! Get enrolled in a puppy kindergarden class in the area or invite some friends vaccinated dogs over for a romp with your new baby!  :) :)
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 09:19:35 am »
finally!!!!  another akita owner!  i have two, a purebred 140 lb akita male, and a 75lb female akita / chow mix.  crating is a really good idea.  when they start to get older and they get bored you can really get a lot of household damage until they mature some and learn that it's not ok to eat the floor...  and walls... and doors / door frames... etc.  not to mention it's just safer for them because it keeps them away from everything they're not supposed to eat, like wires, chemicals, small objects, etc.  personally, i'd recommend to NEVER leave your dog outside unattended.  because of axle's big size and "vicious" look (don't ask, a lot of people say he just looks mean at first) teenagers and other kids (even some adults) have one of two reactions if they've never been around big dogs.  either they will be scared of them, which can cause your dog to be very nervous around kids OR they will be mean to them, just because they can.  we've had a few instances where teenage kids have thrown stones, hit axle with PVC / metal pipes, etc when the kids had never even met axle.  axle had never been mean to them, barked at them, nothing until they started the harassment and he turned very mean towards them.  axle is normally very very child friendly, and people friend, except after the incidence to the particular group of kids that did this.  this has also caused him to be very scared / hateful towards a particular race of teenage kids.  i agree with everyone on socializing.  akita's have the ability to be a very difficult dog to work with (i'm sure you've noticed how stubborn your girl is, if not you will very soon) when they're scared, improperly trained, or when they know they can run all over you because you don't show leadership over them.  i'd love to see pics of your girl, akita's are really great dogs, and even better companions / family members!

p.s.-  here's a pic of axle at 3 1/2 months and one of him today at 140lbs, and 32" at the shoulder.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

lorim2

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 04:00:19 pm »
Sounds like you guys are doing great...My two big paws have always crated and like East Jenn said, that is now their safe haven.  Welcome to BPO and cant wait to see pics of your little girl

Offline arfondavis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 12:34:26 am »
Welcome to the forum.

I too would love to see some pics of your new puppy.

It does sound as you are doing the correct thing with the crate.

I'm looking to own an Akita some day and just can't believe that I didn't think about this...If you don't mind me asking but how big is the crate?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 02:31:40 am »
akita's aren't good bait dogs, but they were a VERY popular fighting dog (very good at it also) for a while, and some people still do use them.  they had much of the reputation of the APBT's today.  in fact, after they were used for fighting, they were used for hunting, etc. then after the german shepherds, and other hunting dogs were imported, they became "endangered" and were very hard to find and so expensive that only royalty could afford them (this is about the 1920-30's in japan).  i guess that was because the smaller sizes, lower cost of upkeep, etc  ???
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]