Author Topic: Meet 7 week old male- Spartan Leonidas  (Read 39871 times)

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
Meet 7 week old male- Spartan Leonidas
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:43:38 pm »
Hi all- this is our second Dobie, our first nine year old Precious died of cancer earlier this year. It was horrible, like losing family- we all bawled like babies and think of her daily.

This little guy is from the same breeder, at 7 weeks he weighs 18 pounds and LOOK at the size of those paws!! We think he might have gotten the giant Dobie gene somewhere, our vet says he has never seen a 7 week old that big. He is a mess, just chews and plays, eats, poops, and sleeps and sleeps- must be growing during the downtime!

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Meet 7 week old male- Spartan Leonidas
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 12:28:13 am »
Awww he is absolutely precious and welcome to BPO! ;D
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 01:08:18 am »
Thanks!

I'm really wondering about his size, anyone else had a pup this big at this age?!?  ???

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 01:31:39 am »
He does look big to me, but also very cute! How many pups were in the litter?

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 01:54:03 am »
Welcome! He is very cute. His feet are large yes. I've never seen a HUGE Doberman and I know they aren't supposed to get massive or anything so I'm not sure. I did see one in a pet store not long ago who has HUGE feet..everyone that went by the window commented on his feet. I couldn't believe the size of them. It seems as the rest of their body grows though, they seem to catch up to their feet. In my experience with other dogs at least. Like the others asked, how large were both the parents? That is a generally a good judge of his eventual size.

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 02:22:43 am »
Welcome Shibumi and Spartan Leonidas.  I just saw 300 and I love that name.  I'm Misty and Gracie is my little Big Paw.  She's an 11 month old (today) English Mastiff.  You will get some really great information here about all sorts of puppy stuff.  You can also ask your breeder about the pup's grandparents size as well.  That too could be a good indicator.  Spartan is adorable and I'm glad you found BPO.  Welcome both of you and I can't wait to watch that baby grow.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 05:59:07 am »
He does look big to me, but also very cute! How many pups were in the litter?

Seven- three blacks and 4 reds!

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 06:05:10 am »
Welcome to Big Paws Only.  I'm Tina, mom to Jack.

I have a special spot in my heart for Dobes.  And he is a cutie. 

I really don't know much about growth rate, but those paws do look big.  Are his parents big?

My young adulthood was spent with Dobes.  Our first was petite and the second was massive.  Same breeder.  My parent's are now on their 4th Dobe, this guy is average size but then #3 was large. 

I wonder if a Google search on Doberman growth rate would give you some answers.

His mom is about 80 lbs, breed standard is 65- I haven't seen the dad. Here is a picture of an 8 month old cousin who weighs 80 lbs, they grow until 18 months. In his bloodline is a dog named Lancer who was 130 lbs- I called him Arnold Schwartzendobi e!!  :o

I hope he gets that big, they look like a Great Dane in Dobie shape and color!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 06:14:18 am »
He's a very pretty boy.
It sounds to me from your last post that you know where his "giant Dobie genes" came from and got what you were hoping for.
My Rott weighed 25lbs at 8 weeks and ended up 120-125 an adult (solid). I would say your boy will end up well below that.... as he should be.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 07:08:04 am »
what a total cutie! I love him. and great name. Im guessing hes named after the spartan king ;) hahaha.
Congrats on the new baby, but so sad to hear about your old girl. my mom has a red doberman, his name is Coen. named after a character in resident evil Zero (he is a red dobe, they have dobes covered in blood... hahaha im a loser) anyways, welcome aboard> :)

Jo
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 09:28:50 am »
Welcome to BPO.  I'm mom to 1 big Golden, 2 Pyrs, 3 human kids and our kitties. Thanks for the pics, he is so cute and it does sound like he's going to be a big boy. 

I am very sorry for your loss.  For me, that is the hardest part of loving our furry babies.  They are forever a part of the family and always missed.  Congratulation s on your beautiful new puppy. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 02:08:22 pm »
Welcome to Big Paws Only.  I'm Tina, mom to Jack.

I have a special spot in my heart for Dobes.  And he is a cutie. 

I really don't know much about growth rate, but those paws do look big.  Are his parents big?

My young adulthood was spent with Dobes.  Our first was petite and the second was massive.  Same breeder.  My parent's are now on their 4th Dobe, this guy is average size but then #3 was large. 

I wonder if a Google search on Doberman growth rate would give you some answers.

His mom is about 80 lbs, breed standard is 65- I haven't seen the dad. Here is a picture of an 8 month old cousin who weighs 80 lbs, they grow until 18 months. In his bloodline is a dog named Lancer who was 130 lbs- I called him Arnold Schwartzendobi e!!  :o

I hope he gets that big, they look like a Great Dane in Dobie shape and color!

Wow, I don't think I'd want a Doberman that exceeded the breed standard to that degree, seeing as they would most likely have a lot of health issues being that size. :-\ I did read somewhere that within the breed standard they can reach 90lbs.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 02:17:43 pm »
In the FCI standard they males can go as large as 45kg = 99lbs.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 02:23:41 pm »

99, ha that is funny..just couldn't make it an even number. I've never seen a big one, I'd like to..or would I. :o lol

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 02:26:48 pm »

99, ha that is funny..just couldn't make it an even number. I've never seen a big one, I'd like to..or would I. :o lol

99.21 to be exact...lol