Author Topic: Meet 7 week old male- Spartan Leonidas  (Read 39873 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Meet 7 week old male- Spartan Leonidas
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 03:09:39 pm »
In the FCI standard they males can go as large as 45kg = 99lbs.

99, ha that is funny..just couldn't make it an even number. I've never seen a big one, I'd like to..or would I. :o lol

99.21 to be exact...lol

How incredibly silly! ::) I looked on the AKC site but oddly it doesn't mention weight, just height.

Offline HollyS

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 02:08:09 am »
Hi everyone,I'm new here and this is the first thread I read over.  Lovely doberman baby!  I thought I'd give my thoughts on the size issue....seems from my experience and from talking to breeders of large breeds that parents' size is biggest factor, along with grandparents.
My new puppy is a big guy too.  His dam was 110 and sire 140.  BUT one of his grandfathers was 170+!!  I seriously hope he doesn't get that big! LOL
I am going to attempt to attach an image of him as he is now at nine weeks.
Great site!  I have little ones too but I promise not to speak of them!!!
Holly

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 03:07:50 am »
Boy, you've got a houseful!!

How much do the Great Pyrenees(sp?) pups weigh?

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 03:18:31 am »

They are generally 20lbs at 8 weeks, but their sizes can vary a great deal. My female was only 11 but she was very underweight and my male was 15. Someone told me the giant breeds should gain 10lbs a month and that's what they've done since. :)

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 04:39:18 am »

They are generally 20lbs at 8 weeks, but their sizes can vary a great deal. My female was only 11 but she was very underweight and my male was 15. Someone told me the giant breeds should gain 10lbs a month and that's what they've done since. :)

Wow, Pyrs are awesome dogs!

I've always loved big dogs- anyone else here read all the Albert Payson Terhune dog books growing up? "Thane, the Irish Wolfhound" and all those?

My first dog out on my own was for my first wife, a Pomeranian. Cute at first, then increasingly annoying and irritating-very similar to the wife!  :D  I wound up with him five years later in the divorce, and he lived to 13 years old.

My Dobie weighed in at 20 lbs yesterday, born 2/20- maybe that 10/month scale works for him as well! His "uncle" is 8 months/80 lbs as well.

I read a lot about overfeeding/underfeeding- wouldn't someone want to err on the side of overfeeding if anything, especially with a dog as athletic and trim as a Dobie? I would thing better to have a few pounds of puppy fat to burn off between 6-12 months than have insufficient nutrients to support proper growth of bone, joints, and muscle...

After all in the wild, ideally an animal eats all it wants while growing up-I would think Nature would get it right on how to handle "excess" nutrition?

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 04:53:04 am »

Wow, Pyrs are awesome dogs!

I've always loved big dogs- anyone else here read all the Albert Payson Terhune dog books growing up? "Thane, the Irish Wolfhound" and all those?

My first dog out on my own was for my first wife, a Pomeranian. Cute at first, then increasingly annoying and irritating-very similar to the wife!  :D  I wound up with him five years later in the divorce, and he lived to 13 years old.

My Dobie weighed in at 20 lbs yesterday, born 2/20- maybe that 10/month scale works for him as well! His "uncle" is 8 months/80 lbs as well.

I read a lot about overfeeding/underfeeding- wouldn't someone want to err on the side of overfeeding if anything, especially with a dog as athletic and trim as a Dobie? I would thing better to have a few pounds of puppy fat to burn off between 6-12 months than have insufficient nutrients to support proper growth of bone, joints, and muscle...

After all in the wild, ideally an animal eats all it wants while growing up-I would think Nature would get it right on how to handle "excess" nutrition?

I'm sure someone can answer that question better than I, but as far as I've learned you never want to over feed. A trim or slim dog is generally in better condition as far as joints etc..than a dog with a lot of extra weight. I'm not sure how trim a Dobe would be that got to be of giant size though. Speaking of one within the breed standard yes, but grossly over that? Their frame would then be that of a giant dog and the same would apply- as far as you wanting to maintain a puppy more on the slim side. I've always been cautioned not to overfeed these dogs. They get about 4 cups of a high quality kibble a day, that's eating twice a day. Some dogs will eat and eat and eat and not know when to stop. A dog that eats too much will grow too quickly and wreack havoc on it's bones/joints. I don't know about Dobes, but I know for giants, you want a slow and steady growing pup. You said they grow for 18 mos, that's a lot of growing time, and if only for 18 mos..getting to be over 100 lbs in that short of time would be awfully fast. Most giants grow for 3 yrs.

Most people(not all)seem to agree to put down their food for 15 mins or so and then pick up the bowls, so they will have eaten what they want in that time. Sometimes mine will scarf down the 2 cups in minutes and sometimes just take a little and be done.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 08:05:53 am »

No one would rather side with under feeding. Over feeding large breeds can lead to fast growth which can lead to orthopedic problems.
As far as growing up in the wild goes....Wild dogs/wolves etc... do not eat all the want as they grow. They must first count on the pack to make the kill and the pups eat last. It has been documented that wolves can sometimes go days without meals. Its not like they have a drive thru kill window to go to :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 08:07:05 am by VdogLover »

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 10:26:41 am »
Quote from: VdogLover Its not like they have a drive thru kill window to go to :)
[/quote

:D

"Would you supersize that for me?"

"What do you have in the Happy Meal today?" (ewww...)  :o

Nice...

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 11:40:01 am »
Sorry i'm a little slow to add to the weight comment but I thought I'd pipe in. My Maggie is about 80 lbs right now, which is over the weight limit for females. She's no way big compared to a Dane or Pyr, infact I think she's quite small when she's around them lol.

"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline DobieLove

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Dreaming in the Quietest moments
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 06:12:52 am »
Oh... he is adorable! My Jared was a big guy too... 6 kilos at the age of 7 weeks. I love big dobies!

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 11:34:00 am »
Sorry i'm a little slow to add to the weight comment but I thought I'd pipe in. My Maggie is about 80 lbs right now, which is over the weight limit for females. She's no way big compared to a Dane or Pyr, infact I think she's quite small when she's around them lol.

Beautiful girl!

She is a big girl, but beautifully proportioned- trim, tummy tucked up, ribs visible under that shiny coat- in NO way overweight, just 15 lbs and overall size above breed standard. Nothing wrong with that!!

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 11:01:20 am »
UPDATE:

Spartan is now 12 weeks old, and weighs 38 pounds!! :o

The vet was just amazed at how big and fit and healthy he looks! We're cropping ears next week, he is going to be just a MAGNIFICENT animal when he grows up!

P.S.- Dear GOD please give him some bladder control!!!

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 08:21:42 pm »
That is one huge puppy!

I'm not up to date with crops, but why did you wait until after 12 weeks to crop?

Vet recommendation, 12-14 is standard for Dobe's.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 08:29:28 pm »
Slow down puppers! hahah. At least he's healthy! And Amen on the bladder control. My guys do really well but when my boy has an accident, you'd think a dam broke lol. Not good at all!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 10:49:40 pm »
AAHHHHHHHHHHHW WWWWWW!!!!!!!!   look at them big ole paws!!!!   What a cute pupper