Author Topic: New mom-- large puppy -- any ideas how big he'll get?  (Read 26220 times)

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
New mom-- large puppy -- any ideas how big he'll get?
« on: April 16, 2007, 04:16:42 am »
Hello. I'm new here, and new to owning a purebred GSD. I've had mixes before, mostly GS/labs, who got to about 55-65lbs. I was wondering if anyone has charted their dog's growth from puppyhood to give me a rough idea what to expect?

I've seen the "standard" height weight chart, but my baby is  beyond their numbers. So far, his weight-ins have been:

9 weeks - 22.5lbs
 11 weeks - 29.3lbs
 13 weeks - 38.7lbs

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!" - Dave Barry

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: New mom-- large puppy -- any ideas how big he'll get?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 04:25:25 am »
Welcome! You pup is gorgeous! About his weight...he is either growing too fast or will be a monster! lol What do you feed him?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:48:26 am »
Hmm, again in this case I'd ask how large his parents were and grandparents if you know. That's usually the best place to start. It would seem he is gaining too quickly, what does your vet say? And also like people whisperer asked, what are you feeding/how much? If you're sure he is purebred, it does seem a little extreme for a GSD. My male Pyr weighs less at 16 wks. If yours continued to gain almost 10 lbs every 2 weeks that would be one enormous dog haha.

Oh, and welcome! I'd love to see more pics!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 04:54:19 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 05:59:29 am »
Right now he's on Nutrience Junior Large Breed forumla, but I want to switch him over to something like Canidae. He gets 1 cup, 3 times a day, which is underfeeding them by the bag's standards.

The vet says he's well proportioned, he's slim and sleek, with MASSIVE paws. His siblings (two of whom we have playdates with regularly) are gigantic too. I'm wondering if they are "king" shepherds, due to their size.

They were sold without papers, so we have no clue about his ancestors. I have questioned the "pureness" of the breeding, and have be assured (not reassured) they are purebred. Clearly, I am led by my heart, and not by my head.  ::)

I will be taking him in for hip/shoulder xrays when they neuter him.
You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!" - Dave Barry

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 06:02:54 am »
ok, for his age, he actually DOES fit pretty close in this growth chart.  GSD's stop growing at a year, according to this.  this is the male half of it.  also, please note the % of total is the % of total growth completed.  anywho, here it is and also a link at the bottom.  according to it, he should get 70-80lbs.

Age   Weight  % of   
(mo)   lb.   Total   

1   9.2   12.10   

2   19.9   26.18   

3   31.3   41.18   

4   41.8   55   

5   50.6   66.57   

6   57.4   75.52   

7   62.6   82.36   

8   66.4   87.36   

9   69.4   91.31   

10   72.0   94.73   

11   74.3   97.76   

12   76.0   100   

http://www.nwk9.com/weight_height.htm
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 06:09:29 am »
Right now he's on Nutrience Junior Large Breed forumla, but I want to switch him over to something like Canidae. He gets 1 cup, 3 times a day, which is underfeeding them by the bag's standards.

The vet says he's well proportioned, he's slim and sleek, with MASSIVE paws. His siblings (two of whom we have playdates with regularly) are gigantic too. I'm wondering if they are "king" shepherds, due to their size.

They were sold without papers, so we have no clue about his ancestors. I have questioned the "pureness" of the breeding, and have be assured (not reassured) they are purebred. Clearly, I am led by my heart, and not by my head.  ::)

I will be taking him in for hip/shoulder xrays when they neuter him.

So then you haven't seen the parents? If it were me, I'd be more inclined to think he was mixed with something else perhaps..it's hard to see from the pic but his muzzle looks wide for a gsd puppy, at least the ones that I've seen. Not that that means anything. :P

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 06:16:17 am »
i'd be good with saying he looks pure bred.  i've looked up a lot of AKC GSD puppies at 13weeks to better help you and they all have the broad noses like his.  i'll attach one good example.  my guess would be that they have to get out of that puppy stage and get their adult look, as well as the adult longer slimmer nose.  BUT i do have to say, more pictures of him would make it a lot easier to speculate ha ha (hint hint  ;))
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:19:09 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 06:41:05 am »
i'd be good with saying he looks pure bred.  i've looked up a lot of AKC GSD puppies at 13weeks to better help you and they all have the broad noses like his.  i'll attach one good example.  my guess would be that they have to get out of that puppy stage and get their adult look, as well as the adult longer slimmer nose.  BUT i do have to say, more pictures of him would make it a lot easier to speculate ha ha (hint hint  ;))

aww thats a cute pic. gosh i don't usually see ones with noses like that, maybe it's the difference in their line. and you seem to be good at finding the growth chart things, you can find one for mine. ;D everytime i look i come up with nothing.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 06:45:11 am »
I was thinkin more like this..

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 06:46:03 am »
i can't find one for pyrs or specific mastiff breeds  :-[  i try all the time and can't find one.  the only place i can think of it maybe there is one in a breed specific book   ???  i love doing research, wish i could get a job doing it
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 06:46:44 am »
that one has a broad nose, also.  just a different angle, a little more straight forward and not from as high above as the pic i posted.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:48:01 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 06:48:16 am »
It's really hard to tell his muzzle size, as 90% of him is black, and the little fudgebar won't sit still for any pictures. Here are a few more, I hope they are better.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 07:10:45 am »
he's 100% adorable!  i LOVE his ears!  i'd still go with he's more than likely pure bred.  time will definately help tell, though!  he's gonna be a gorgeous dog!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 07:12:45 am »
Awwwwwwwwww, those are much better pics, his nose doesn't look the same there to me. He's adorable. The first I'm taking it was the youngest? His feet don't look large there, it looks like they've gotten bigger as his body has grown, but don't look overly large in comparison to the rest of him. Looks like he has a nice solid frame. He's soooooo cute!!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 07:15:35 am »
i can't find one for pyrs or specific mastiff breeds  :-[  i try all the time and can't find one.  the only place i can think of it maybe there is one in a breed specific book   ???  i love doing research, wish i could get a job doing it

Yeah, I love it too and generally I'm pretty good at finding things out but that one was a dead end. I have a couple books but it doesn't say in there either, need to look more in that direction maybe like you say.