Author Topic: New mom-- large puppy -- any ideas how big he'll get?  (Read 26215 times)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: New mom-- large puppy -- any ideas how big he'll get?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 07:24:07 am »
He is a patootie.  :)  Reminds me a lot of Faust when he was a wee lad.  lol

I wouldn't be too worried about his weight as long as its constant.  They give the growth charts to help try and make us "parents" feel better.  Sadly, I think they end up making those of us with pups & kids outside the chart just feel worse!  lol

An example would be that Zeo, my 18" 35# BC/Sheltie weighed more at 8wks than all my other dogs did, including Tenchi(Great Dane who now weighs 155# and is 38" at the shoulder)!  I thought she was going to be a supersized blue merle butterball, but she stopped growing around 5 months old.  Where as Tenchi didn't stop until he was over 2yrs old and he's still "filling out".   
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 07:57:36 am »
Yes, the little avatar pic is Bear on his first day "home". My last dog's muzzle grew like Pinocchio's nose (without the lies). It was a short stubby as a pup, and elongated as he grew. He went from looking like a black lab, to a floppy-eared GSD with lab fur on his head and ears.

I agree about the scaring us poor parents. The doctors did the same thing to me with my daughter, who, before she turned 4 yrs old, was in the 5th percentile for weight. Now she's nearing the 75th percentile in weight, and 10th percentile in height. Only time can tell.

I was just hoping someone might have a GSD with similar weight stats. No worries if he turns out to be the size of an elephant. Well, on the other hand, maybe I should just go out and buy stocks in the dog food company now.  ;D
You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!" - Dave Barry

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 12:56:02 pm »
my inlaws female started out growing that fast...now that she is a year she is a little over 70lbs but we're told that she'll still grow until she's 2
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 08:35:52 am »
Awwwwe, what a cutie he is!
Can't help you out much, but his growth doesn't seem to rapid to me.
I have a husky/shep mix and she's more husky built.  Topped out at 35lbs by 6 mo. and stayed there for 2 yrs, then jumped to 50.  Stayed there for 3 yrs, then gained some more after the addition of Gunther (don't ask me how or why).  At her heaviest was around 62.  She is now down to a svelte 53 lbs.

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 09:19:14 am »
He's adorable~!  I love GSD's, though, I've never had a purebreed before, maybe on my next.....hopef ully, that will be a ways away~!

Welcome, and don't worry too much about his size unless the Vet thinks he's growing too quickly  :D
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 11:36:58 am »
I just got rid of all of Navarre's old papers last month.  If memory serves me correctly he was about that big at that age also.  I remember at 5-6months he was 62lbs.  He stayed a steady 98lbs until he was put on epi meds and then he topped 130!!  His parents were 105lbs and 115lbs.  He was a solid boy even at the 130!  Just make sure that while he's small enough (which won't be for long) that you teach him YOU'RE the boss.  It's easier to put a 40lb dog in his place than a 100lber trust me!!  But after that's done all you'll have to do is give him a look, not even say anything, and he'll know you mean business so it won't matter how big he gets!!  Enjoy, I can't wait to get my next one, it's been a year and I need another GSD in my house.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 08:22:50 pm »
Thanks all. I guess since my previous pups were never this huge I started panicking(sp?). He's now 18 weeks and just over 50lbs. He'd probably weigh more, but the little stinker has had a very nasty bout of the runs, due to cleaning out the cat litter box on his own. EWWWWWW!!!  :o :-[

The cats now have to crawl through a tunnel to get to their igloo-ish style box that DH made, as Bear kept getting in to the blasted box wherever and however we set it up. And of course, the litter box just has to be in the mudroom, where I take him out.  ::)
You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, "My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!" - Dave Barry

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 09:40:55 pm »
Gosh, he's still growing fast! I'd think he would be slowing down in the next month or so. My dogs love the litterbox too, so gross. Esp my female she is relentless, luckily whenever I see her start to head to that room I can tell her to leave it and she listens. But there were times before I realized she was obsessed, just gross. I have a litter robot which is an automatic box that empties on it's own so technically there should never be anything in there, but my one cat figured out right away how to not trip the sensor so I have to go behind her and push the button, hahaha..she's a pain in the butt.

Hope your pups tummy gets better soon!

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 10:22:33 pm »
Yuck~!  My dogs try to raid the cat box too! Luckily for me, my cat has a very strong sense of "ownership" for our office where her box is located.  she comes out hissing with loaded claws if they try to go there. My sister calls it Kitty Rocha  :P  Her dogs go after it too.  I guess its just a dog thing. LOL

Do we ever wonder why we let them kiss us?
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 11:20:30 pm »
Yuck~!  My dogs try to raid the cat box too! Luckily for me, my cat has a very strong sense of "ownership" for our office where her box is located.  she comes out hissing with loaded claws if they try to go there. My sister calls it Kitty Rocha  :P  Her dogs go after it too.  I guess its just a dog thing. LOL

Do we ever wonder why we let them kiss us?

Hubby doesn't allow kisses lol. I can smell Yiska coming for a mile if she's been in the box and she isn't getting anywhere near me!!!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 11:48:13 pm »
I was out of town when this thread began, and somehow I've missed it even since.  Your little Bear is adorable!  Welcome (though sorry it's so belated ::)) to BPO.  I love puppy pics and your puppy is so cute!  I'm mom to 3 kids, 3 dogs (1 Golden & 2 Pyrs) and our kitties. 

Hmmm, kitty litter treats....arou nd here hubby calls them "Cat Poo-d" (as opposed to cat food).  Yep, Daisy (our Golden mix) would probably prefer the cat poo-d to her own dog food.  NASTY!  ::)  Our litter box is in the laundry room and we just bought one of those gates that someone posted here about recently.  It's pressure mounted and has a door for us humans, then a small door in the bottom for the cat to come & go.  It's a great design (from PetsMart) and so far it's working. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 10:10:39 am »
Our last dog enjoyed frozen poopcicles. BLECH! But I've never had to deal with litter robbers before.  :-\

DH won't let Bear lick him either, and I won't let him near my face, considering where that tongue's been.

I'm hoping his weight gain starts slowing down soon. He LOVES his Orijen, and even the cats' Orijen. In fact, the bunch of them swap food bowls all the time. It's funny how, until we started this food, he was never really food driven. He sure is now!!!  :o He'd knock me over if I weren't so big. One good thing about his food drive is that it makes train so so so much easier. He's learned stay, even if it is for only 10 seconds.  ;) :D

Offline Johnnysgirl_668

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 02:30:10 am »
Well it's been a busy 6 weeks for us, I haven't had much time to pop in. Bear is STILL growing and growing and growing. He's almost 6 months now, and weighs just over 70lbs!  :o

He's a sweetie, still a suckie for attention, and loves to have his belly rubbed... sometimes for (what seems like) hours!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 02:33:21 am »
Wow he sure has matured! He looks like a big dog now! Awww. I'm glad he's doing so well!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 02:33:52 am by mama2many »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 03:21:20 am »
Wow, he's gorgeous!  He looks like he's doing really well.  Great pic!   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees