Author Topic: Prayers for My Brothers Dog  (Read 8542 times)

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
Prayers for My Brothers Dog
« on: July 17, 2007, 04:27:00 am »
This fire is going on in San Martin, California right now.  It went across the back of my brothers property, and damaged his barn and the dog's run.  Yoyo (PB) hid under the large Truck Container my bro has, and watching the live video looks like it will be OK, but, obviously is going to be tramatized.  In addition to Yoyo, my bro has multiple ducks, geese, and a s**tload of cats both indoor and outdoor.

Can you keep them and all their animals in your prayers for us? 

http://www.nbc11.com/news/13698165/detail.html

Thanks everyone
Alyce
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers for My Brothers Dog
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 04:56:15 am »
Oh no!  We used to live in CA and fire was an every summer fear.  I'll be thinking of your brother and his whole fur & feathered family.  Please keep us posted!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 05:07:32 am »
Thanks guys~!

Julie,  Yes, it was Yoyo.  My DH watched it on the news, but, they were reporting from the helicopter, so who knows what they could really see, especially since Yoyo was freaking out (he doesn't like anybody except my SIL).  I guess freaking out and fighting is a good sign in this case.

The fire seems to be contained away from their property now, so, now what he'll have to do, is wait for the Outdoor cats to start coming home, and to keep an eye on all the other animals for smoke inhalation (sp?). 

This has been very scary.  My parents were very upset, and of course, my bro and SIL must be so worried.  Their animals are their kids!~
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 05:38:34 am »
wow that's realy terrible. but it's great that they found yoyo!!! now if only all the rest of the animals are ok....
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:19:31 pm »
Well, finally got to talk to my brother a short time ago.  All animals are accounted for except for one cat, and he is one who likes to hide anyway.  They expect that he'll show up in a day or two.  Yoyo is at the vet's being treated for smoke inhalation, and they also think he may have damaged his heart due to the heat and stress.  It took the firefighters some time to cool down the Cargo Container he was hiding under in order for them to be able to rescue him.  My SIL is crushed, the heat was too hot for her to even open the gate to his kennel, so he could escape.  Aparently their property caught fire quickly when a propane tank exploded at the other property.

Oh, and can we also keep a good samaritan in our prayers?  A man pulled off the highway when he saw the fire, and drove into the neighborhood.  He helped SIL catch and conatin all the geese, then colapsed with a heart attack~!  He is at the hospital and should recover with time.

PD thinks fire was probably arson, a tenant had been notified of eviction on the neighboring property earlier in the day, and there had been 2 suspicious fires on the property in the last couple of months.

Thanks again everyone~!  It's been a really stressful day, but, we're thankful that my Bro and SIL are OK and that the animals will most likely all be OK.  :)

Alyce

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 01:33:43 pm »
Thank goodness!!  I hope Yoyo is going to be ok, he'll definitely need lots of love when he gets home!!

God bless the good samaritan!!  I'm glad he's going to be ok too.  Just think that if he would have kept going he probably would have had the heart attack while driving!! 

Prayers to all of them!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:29:52 pm »
I'm glad to hear that everyone is accounted for. I'm sure the othere kitty is just hiding. Keep us posted.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 03:27:06 am »
Wow, you hear so many awful stories on the news about cold, cruel people and then there's someone as wonderful as this Good Samaritan that stopped to help.  I hope that he recovers completely and that this heartwarming story about this wonderful man hits the news, too.  Please keep us updated, I'll be watching for more good news about YoYo, the missing kitty and this very special man.

Oh & I really hope that they find the firebug and that they spend a loooooong time in jail for this!
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Prayers for My Brothers Dog -- Update
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 11:20:00 pm »
Well, got an e-mail with update and pictures from my brother last night.  Looks like everyone is OK, and the missing cat came out from hiding.  Thanks for your prayers everyone!~  Here's what he had to say:

"Well, things got a little hot in scenic San Martin yesterday! I'm emailing just to let everyone know that we're OK.

I was at work about 1120 and the 911 lines all lit up. Officers in the street radioed that there was a huge fire at the south end of town. Sandi called my cphone to tell me there was a fire next door to the house and I'd better get home. She'd been watering in one of the gardens when she heard an explosion at the old ranch next door to us to the north. She looked and saw a huge jet of smoke and flame shoot up into the sky. She called 911 and then me.

Pretty much before she could do anything, the fire was at our yard. She tried to get our dum dog, Yo Yo out of his kennel, but the heat and flames were too much for her. She burned her hand on the kennel gate but couldn't get it open. Yo Yo had run underneath a storeage shed where he maintains his burrow. There was nothing she could do.

Firefighters arrived and pulled into the yard to start laying hose. A passerby, "Mike" stopped and started helping round up our geese and ducks. All the cats were hiding.

I left the station and could immediately see a dark plume coming from the area of the house, about 2 miles away. Not a good sign. I got the the house in about a minute and couldn't see anything from the street. The barn was enclosed in smoke and flame and the house was just a shadow through the smoke. Fire was having the power lines cut down because they told me the barn and the house were going to go. They didn't think they could save them.

I started evacuating the ducks and geese. I tried to go back to the kennel, but couldn't get within 50'. The flames, smoke and heat were too much. I was sure Yo Yo was gone. I went into the house and couldn't even see across the rooms clearly, there was so much smoke. All the cats were hiding in or under the house! The only one we could get was Mr. Rumples. He's deaf, so he was just sleeping in his usual place, a doll baby buggy! He didn't have a clue anything was going on.

We got out of the house and stood by in the street, pretty upset. Not much you can say and nothing you can do. The pumper truck was running out of water and they were preparing to move back from the fire. The house and the barn appeared to be lost. The CDF helicopter was now on scene and dumping next to the barn. A chance!

A neighbor came running up to me to tell me that "Mike" was having a heart attack! The poor guy that stopped out of the goodness of his heart to help with our animals was paying for it in the worse way. I was sick and ran over to where they were loading him into an ambulance. I started crying and prayed harder and faster than I have almost ever before. He told me he was OK, he would be fine, but I just couldn't believe it. They closed the doors and off they went. It turned out that he had a heart condition that was exacerbated by the stress. They treated him gave him drugs and he was released within hours. Thank you, God!

Well, as Mom would say, "short story long" or "readers digress." The fire was under control by about 1:30 PM. I was able to go to Yo Yo's burrow and asked the firefighters to help pull him out so I could bury him before Sandi saw him. The area was still flaming, hot and smokey. The paint on the shed was melted and sometimes self igniting. They sprayed it down and one of them crawled over the embers and felt underneath. He felt dog and started to pull poor Yo Yo out. Suddenly, he lost the leg! Yo Yo pulled away from him. Dummy was still alive! We were able to get him out and I picked him up. He was muddy, smokey and had trouble breathing, but I could hear his heart and it sounded strong. He was scared to death almost and as docile as I've ever seen him. I carried him to an animal control truck and had them rush him to the vet while Sandi called ahead. They gave him O2 and antibiotics and it looks like he'll be OK. Thank you, God, for my dum dog!

The fire was finally out by 3:00 PM. It was probably started by an evicted tenant of my neighbor. We only lost a few hundred feet of fence, the kennel, maybe some stuff in the shed and some stuff in the corner of the barn. The firefighters were able to save both the barn and the house. My third: thank you, God. The smoke and soot in the house and barn are considerable, but I'm happy enough that's all it is.

Spent today cleaning up and talking to insurance people. Sandi is happy as can be and that makes me happy. The dog is still doing OK, but not out of the vet until Saturday. It all happened so fast that I'm still stunned. We keep the weeds, etc. down around the property all the time and have a fire retardent roof. The barn is almost all corigated metal. I guess all of this means not too much. I'm sure counting my blessings and saying prayers of thanks."
Alyce

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 11:31:21 pm »
Wow what a very stressful event. Glad everything turned out for the better.

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 11:50:17 pm »
I am laughing at the "Thank you, God, for my dum dog!" So glad to hear it is all ok. What a rollercoaster of a day they had! Wow!
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 01:06:36 am »
I'm so glad that everyone is going to be ok and that your brother & SIL are recovering from all of the stress.  Ask them to give YoYo extra snuggles from me and my pack.  I guess we should never underestimate the usefulness of a nice big doggy burrow.   ;)  ;D

Oh, did I understand correctly that all of the ducks & geese were ok, also?
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 02:31:01 am »

Yes, it turns out that all the animals made it through.  Yoyo should be pretty much OK in a few days too.

Thanks again Everyone  :)
Alyce

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 03:05:18 am »

Yes, it turns out that all the animals made it through.  Yoyo should be pretty much OK in a few days too.

Thanks again Everyone  :)

I'm so glad!  It really sounds like quite the miracle that everyone got out ok.  I hope that they disgruntled tenant/fire bug is in custody!
Marie

And my pups: