Author Topic: How hot is too hot to walk our Pyrs or other thick coated dogs?  (Read 3260 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

A good question arose in my mind because of another thread...How hot is too hot to walk our Pyrs?...I try not to take Samson out in the heat unless we are in the yard & I can usher him back in if he looks uncomfortable. ..Yesterday we went for about a mile & 1/2 walk (both ways) & I was concerned for him...He started lagging behind at the end & I was worried he was going to refuse to go on which...I mean...what the h*ll do you do then???....Any input people?...I enjoy walking Samson because God knows I need the exercise & he needs the socilaization & the exposure to different things....But, how hot is too hot?

ann

Re: How hot is too hot to walk our Pyrs or other thick coated dogs?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 06:35:50 pm »

i say anything over 80 you need to question how long your gonna go is your walk mostly shady or sunny ,i don't let my dogs out much at all in this heat let alone walk them...

ann

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 07:05:56 pm »
I agree with Ann. Anything over 80 is too hot. Our rule of thumb is that we believe Bear is about 20 degrees hotter than we are every minute of the day so unless it is winter, or spring we are cautious when we go out and do it mostly in the early a.m. or late nights. Unless of couse we are on the lake/ocean- then it is a free for all because he can cool off whenever he wants!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 07:13:00 pm »
I don't know if their is a specific temperature that is too hot; for me it is more like 'how comfortable does zoey act'. I have been trying to walk her at dusk, and we stay close to the house so I can take her in anytime she starts panting too hard/walking to slow/look unhappy. Luckily for us there is a park right across the street so we can walk around and through it and get a long walk without ever venturing too far from the house.
RIP former BPO

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 09:07:25 am »
Day-z and i live in Miami and it is almost 90 here most days, but it feels hotter.

We pretty much only walk our block these days as she looks miserable if she goes much further.

However, she gets plenty of exercise as we play soccer in the lounge in the aircon most days.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 10:24:14 am »
Ty all!...We will stick to the house until this heat we are having passes...Samso n does get any excersize he wants in out fenced yard when I let him out to potty...Usuall y he does his business & is right back at the door waiting to be left back in & I don't blame him!...I can't wait for Fall!!...When did my dog start dictating what my favorite seasons are?...lol!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 12:05:10 pm »
When did my dog start dictating what my favorite seasons are?...lol!

I think Sugar Bear and Dixie Darlin dicate most of my likes now.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 12:39:56 pm »
Try using the heat index, add temp + humidity if its over 150 its probably too hot.
I'll only go out about 6am if its 70 degrees or less. They haven't been on trail all week.
Bring on the FALL!!
Carolyn
Carolyn