Author Topic: oh fumble!! HELP!  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
oh fumble!! HELP!
« on: April 18, 2007, 12:12:03 am »
Hey all... how awful of a bpoer am i!  i'm never around! tisk tisk tisk!!  i do need help though!!  I took fumble to the vet yesterday because his ears were really bad, and very sensitive.  I'm not sure if it's been the change in the air, or the allergie season beginning, but i guess he has yeast and "rods" in one year and just "rods" in the other.  the vet put him on two different types of ear drops and antibiotics.  but here's where i need the help.  for some reason, the goofy newf is petrified of the ear drops!!  i mean, like completely non aggressive dog being VERY bitey and scared. i feel soooo bad for him, and i know it's probably just that he's in pain.  I just don't know what to do!  i've tried distracting him with food, no luck, putting his collar and leash on, that didn't work, and even the gentle leader, still no luck!  does anyone have any calming techniques??  I was thinking of going and buying rescue remedy to kinda calm him down, but i'm not sure how long it takes to kick in.  OH i just feel like an AWFUL MOTHER!  last night i went to bed thinking he hated me1  :'(
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: oh fumble!! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 01:33:53 am »
Does he have a favorite blanket (of his or yours)??  If so, try wraping his head/neck in it just below his ears.  I don't know for sure if it will work, but it does for birds and small animals. It also helps if you can do this with the help of someone.  Speak kindly but firm to him.  You can wrap part of it around his muzzle if you need to to keep him from nipping.  Good luck!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 01:50:22 am »
thanks guys!!!  hopefully something works, i feel like such a bad mama!!  i don't want to have to get a muzzle for him, then i'd feel REALLY bad, even though i know it's still in the air as an option because i'm not sure stacy and i can take any more bites.  this morning i had my winter jacket on to protect my arms and as padding.  poor guy!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:21:06 am »
See if you can warm the drops up a bit before you use them- carry them in a pocket or something for an hour or so before time to use them.  The cold might be making him very uncomfortable.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 10:41:18 am »
Poor Fumble and poor you!  Sasha doesn't like ear drops either.  I think that her ears really hurt when she gets an infection.  She runs and hides when you touch any of her ear medications!  :(  My husband usually tries to catch her near the sofa so she can't run off and then just tries to be really speedy putting them in.  We usually have to do one ear at a time.  Warming them up seems like a really good idea.  Good luck!  Feel better soon Fumble!

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 10:47:04 am »
poor fumble and poor you! You arent a bad momma at all! I think calming him down and putting him on his side and giving him a relaxing massage first may help, then do it speedy and then massage some more, talk calmly and sternly. And have someone to help you first. And remember not to call him to you to do this, or that will upset him. good luck!!!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon