Author Topic: Meet 7 week old male- Spartan Leonidas  (Read 39870 times)

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
Re: Meet 7 week old male- Spartan Leonidas
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2007, 11:12:31 pm »

We cropped his ears because that is what we think a Doberman should look like, and it's our choice in this matter. The procedure was done under sedation, and he was sent home with 10 days supply of pain pills. Women and men do worse things to their bodies every day in the interest of appearance...   :D 

Your pup is beautiful!  Thanks for posting new photos of him and his giant self spread out on the couch!

However I do have to say that I always find it amusing when people say cropped is what a Dobe "should" look like.  Considering they are born with natural ears, isn't that kind of a misnomer?  Now, a Basenji with prick ears- that is what one "should" look like. 
Also, women and men have the options of choosing what they do to their bodies, puppies do not.
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2007, 11:34:04 pm »
It's true they don't get to choose, but when it is painless and the vet sends him home with a ten-day supply of doggie Vicodin, it is a moot point don't you think??  ::)  If you want to talk about choice, get busy and stop the practice of circumcision- THEY don't use anesthetic!!  :o  I treat a DOG better than that!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2007, 12:37:46 am »
It's true they don't get to choose, but when it is painless and the vet sends him home with a ten-day supply of doggie Vicodin, it is a moot point don't you think??  ::)  If you want to talk about choice, get busy and stop the practice of circumcision- THEY don't use anesthetic!!  :o  I treat a DOG better than that!

Correct they do not use anesthetic when newborn boys are circumcised just as they don't when they dock tails or remove dewclaws on newborn puppies.

What I do not understand is why people think cropping is so much more painful then the other surgeries we have voluntarily done to our dogs?
  The argument that it is done only for the "owners liking' holds true with most voluntary surgeries we have performed...do gs do not have to be neutered. We choose to do so to make our human lives easier and to make dogs fit into our way of society. So before people come down on owners who crop I wish they would think long and hard of the real medical reasons they neutered their dog. Truth is the lines the vets and shelters feed you just do not hold up in the long run but its sure a heck of alot easier to live with a dog who does not try to run the house, hike on your walls, or hump the neighbors kids isn't it.
As far as the pain goes..my Terrier refused to walk for 3 days following his neutering I have yet to see a cropped pup in that much pain.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:56:52 am by VdogLover »

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2007, 01:21:19 am »
Ummm, wrong- my vet anesthetizes for tails and dewclaws. I wouldn't go to him if he didn't, that's just cruel. I've heard the STUPID rationalizatio ns on newborns, baby and puppy alike and it's bull****!! Pinch a newborn and see if it cries- now tell me it won't feel a scalpel?!?  >:( >:(  Don't let anyone fool you, or themselves- it's absolute cruelty of the vilest sort on a defenseless creature. NO justification.

Lyn

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2007, 02:23:00 am »
I was present when a litter of Springer spaniels had there rear dews removed and tails docked at the clinic I volunteered at. No anesthetic.. I was asked to assist.. and I was cringing at each snip. Yet the pups slept though the entire thing. LOL

I was also present for an ear crop on a Great Dane and he was definitely in pain afterwards even though he was given pain meds before he woke up from the anesthetic.

I do like the cropped 'look' on Danes and Dobies. And I don't fault anyone that chooses to crop. I just personally couldn't do it unless I had to.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2007, 03:44:33 am »
I was present when a litter of Springer spaniels had there rear dews removed and tails docked at the clinic I volunteered at. No anesthetic.. I was asked to assist.. and I was cringing at each snip. Yet the pups slept though the entire thing. LOL

Maybe back dews do not hurt like fronts? Since I have never held a puppy for front dews who did not scream and try to get away. I have never held for backs (many fronts and tails). I wonder if since they are not as attached as the fronts it does not hurt as bad? I know the digging it often takes to remove the front makes my stomache turn and my litters will have them left on.
 I do not know of a single vet in my area who uses any type of anesthetic for tails/dews. Many claim for the same reasons it is not used on a human newborn..risk and they claim the local is more painful then the tail docking itself.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2007, 04:18:02 am »
I don't know anything about the removal of dewclaws and cropping and docking, fortunately I have long tailed and floppy eared doggies ;)..and I will also be leaving all their dewclaws in place despite vets that believe in removing them..but I do know that it's common also for newborn baby boys to sleep through or not react to circ's also. I'm sure it has to do with age and pain sensors etc.. Anyway, both of those are extremely heated issues with people.. so I hope this doesn't turn into a debate. I don't think I've ever seen a grown Doberman with natural ears, it seems most people think of them as having the cropped ones when you think of a Doberman, at least I do...not that their natural ears aren't cute too. If it were me I'd probably leave them just because they are born that way, and and it's cute and different. Just seems to be personal preference.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2007, 04:23:36 am »
so I hope this doesn't turn into a debate. I don't think I've ever seen a grown Doberman with natural ears, it seems most people think of them as having the cropped ones when you think of a Doberman, at least I do...not that their natural ears aren't cute too.

I certainly was not looking for a debate was just giving my thoughts on the subject as I thought others where.

I have a floppy eared adult red Dobe sitting in my kitchen right now..I'll take a pic and post it for you.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2007, 04:40:12 am »
so I hope this doesn't turn into a debate. I don't think I've ever seen a grown Doberman with natural ears, it seems most people think of them as having the cropped ones when you think of a Doberman, at least I do...not that their natural ears aren't cute too.

I certainly was not looking for a debate was just giving my thoughts on the subject as I thought others where.

I have a floppy eared adult red Dobe sitting in my kitchen right now..I'll take a pic and post it for you.

Oh, I wasn't referring to anyone in general! It's just that as I was posting I was thinking that I didn't want to start posting on a topic that would become a debate. But that wasn't directed at anyone. :) I'd like to see the pic!

Offline Shibumi

• Gnawer
  • Spartan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2007, 12:38:03 am »

Oh, I wasn't referring to anyone in general! It's just that as I was posting I was thinking that I didn't want to start posting on a topic that would become a debate. But that wasn't directed at anyone. :) I'd like to see the pic!

Nothing wrong with a bit of debate, as long as it stays respectful and everyone acts like grown-ups! Socrates dug it...  :D

Post up the Red! There were three reds in the litter we got ours from, they were beautiful dogs- no color is better than another, just a matter of what you like. Here is one (not a red!) who lived in the house ours came from- she fell for me, after petting her a minute, she backed up to me, sat on my feet, and leaned back on me for a good petting session...  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 12:39:32 am by Shibumi »

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2007, 04:40:01 am »

Correct they do not use anesthetic when newborn boys are circumcised

no they dont put the baby under to do the circumcision, but they do inject 2 shots on either side that numb the whole area.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown