Author Topic: Freaking Out  (Read 5222 times)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Freaking Out
« on: April 21, 2007, 07:00:23 am »
Okay before I start off with my question... let me just say I am not a freak that worries over every little thing ~ even though it seems like it  ;)

I haven't been on line all week cause the nice weather is here for acouple days and we are taking full advantage of it while it lasts.

Yesterday we were all outside nothing strange happened the dogs were laying on the grass in the sunshine the kids were in the playhouse I was on the deck....

I leave to walk down to the neighbours with the kids, Libby and Hoover stay in the backyard as hubby is now home and out there with them.

Hubby is out rakeing the grass and rolling it so Libby goes up on the deck to sun bath...

Next thing I know hubby is walking down the street telling me to come home as Libby is limping and crying ALOT and he can't find anything wrong  :o

I come home feel all over and everything is fine limping on her front R feel up and down twist pull check .... nothing not a flinch nothing panting alot check the L same except she doesn't want to lift it up and the R she did willingly.

So we kept her and Hoover locked on the main floor(no stairs) last night, she went and laid on her bed and nothing till this am she was crying alittle when I woke up but she does that(she's a mama's girl)and it would have been very stressful for her to sleep on the main floor without me.

This am I let them out to potty limping still ~ not alot of whining, but when she was ready to come in she sat her big butt at the back door and scratched it with her R paw to come in (and she doesn't do this)

Went over to her food and bent over to eat and screamed, I held onto her bowl and she ate fine.

She seems to whine when she walks but it's getting up or down she cries, and her panting has started again

This is so upsetting, do you think this is just a sprain, muscle pull  ???

I have put ice on it and it seems to help, wasn't sure about any pain meds, don't have a crate but I think keeping her off the stairs is a good thing...

What are your thoughts out there in BP land???

Thanks in advance for any help... Kim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Freaking Out
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 07:23:28 am »
we had the EXACT same thing happen, with both me AND peanut.  it was a dirt dobber or some other insect bite!  peanut ran circles screaming and had no marks of any sort, but was limping.  yesteryday, *I* got bit, and found out exactly why he was limping!  i now have a bruise where whatever it was bit me!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 09:09:05 am »
If the ice seems to be helping maybe try alternately ice and heat.  Give her a heating pad or electric blanket to lay on to help ease the soreness.  I would probably also call the vet just to see what he recommends as a pain reliever or any other course of treatment.  Sorry I can't be of anymore help than that. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:48:22 am »
merlin had the same thing, ON HIS EYE LID!!! he was bit by an insect. Thats what it sounds like to me, try giving a little benedryl, that will help if she is having an allergic reaction!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 10:03:44 am »
Poor Libby!  I was thinking maybe she sprained something or pulled a muscle Koby's done that a few times.  Usually he'd stop limping in a day or so.  Get better soon Libby!

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:26:07 am »
Poor Libby. I hope she's feeling better now. :-* It almost does sound as though she was bitten/stung by something. :-\

Lola had a similar injury, limping on her front right leg. But that was after a rough play session with Bubba.

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 12:36:01 pm »
Thanks everyone, she was on the deck when hubby heard her the first time, she will trot for a bit and then she's like oh ya it hurts, so a phone call to the vet it is ice and heat and we'll go from there ~ poor girl I know it must hurt cause she's a tuffy ~ normally when it comes to any pain.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 02:14:11 pm »
If she was on the deck, I'd also check really closely for a splinter.  One of our babies got one a few years back, and we were sure he had dislocated his shoulder or something the way he was acting.

ha ha poor baby!  splinters are awful!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 03:37:15 pm »
I LIKE my vet sometimes they told me to wait acouple days to see what happens but... if I want to come in and spend my $$$ they would be more than happy to see us  ;D

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 05:41:18 pm »
Sending Libby healing thoughts and peacful thoughts to her mommy ;)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 08:54:54 pm »
There are times it would be nice if they could speak human.This being one of them.

Hope things work  themselves out for Libby,and of course you too

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 03:00:43 pm »
So I kept Libby and Hoover on the main floor again last night and she seems better today ~ a small limp here and there but not the same as the other day and only crying because she's not with me(big baby) so I feel better now I'm still going to keep her on the main floor for acouple more nights and see how it goes ~ must have been all those positive thoughts being sent our way ~ Thank you  :-*

k2campbell

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 03:52:54 pm »
Glad to hear Libby's feeling a bit better today - I sure hope you find out what it is, poor girl! ;)