Author Topic: How big will she get?  (Read 8041 times)

Offline moxie_berner

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
How big will she get?
« on: April 22, 2007, 08:00:13 pm »
In August 2006, I got an 8 week old Berner :) She's 10 months old now. We were told that she would be around 75 pounds, because her mom weighs that much, even though her dad weighs about 110 pounds (which, from what I've seen, seems pretty small for a male, although at all of the Berner club meetings I go to, there are 150+ males, way above the standard.) I do keep track of her weight, and the following are her measurements. The increments are kind of weird, these are just the times when she's been into the vet's office and has been weighed.

2 months: 11 pounds
3 months: 20 pounds
4 months: 38 pounds
5 months: 50 pounds
6 1/2 mo: 68 pounds
9 1/2 mo: 75 pounds

Any input is appreciated :) Thanks!

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: How big will she get?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 08:08:02 pm »
I have no idea?! But i would love to see pics!  :) Others on here will give you some great answers!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:10:03 pm »
I have a male berner 10 months and I think he weighs around 10 stone.He weighed 9 stone 4lb at 9 months old there skeletal frame should be about its maximum at 1 yr old but you should still be careful of their joints till about 2 yrs oldLooking in my berner book and they say it is difficult to determine their weight  as a male is bottom of the size range and could possibly weigh the same or less than his Sister who is top of the size range.Most berners weight falls between 75 to 110 pounds. I think a lot of the time it comes down to the Parents and whether they are big stock I have seen some Female berners who aren't much bigger than a Collie.I am expecting Ollie to of hopefully gained his weight and needs to muscle up but someone I was speaking to says his male weighs 12 stone.
she will be quite big and powerful but not as big as the Leonbergers or St.Bernards.Wo uld love to see some pics.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:45:49 pm »
In August 2006, I got an 8 week old Berner :) She's 10 months old now. We were told that she would be around 75 pounds, because her mom weighs that much, even though her dad weighs about 110 pounds (which, from what I've seen, seems pretty small for a male, although at all of the Berner club meetings I go to, there are 150+ males, way above the standard.) I do keep track of her weight, and the following are her measurements. The increments are kind of weird, these are just the times when she's been into the vet's office and has been weighed.

2 months: 11 pounds
3 months: 20 pounds
4 months: 38 pounds
5 months: 50 pounds
6 1/2 mo: 68 pounds
9 1/2 mo: 75 pounds

Any input is appreciated :) Thanks!

Well, perhaps the only thing I can offer is that your girl is DEFINITELY not done growing at 10 months of age.  You can trust she has reached maximum height (that is the long bones are done growing) at about 15-16 months.  She will continue to fill out and should ideally widen in the chest and body until after age 3 or so. In fact, she should be hitting her second big growth spurt about now.

The tough thing about guessing weight over the internet since none of us have seen your girl or her parents, is that most of this in Berners hinges on amount of bone.  I see more and more Berners today with no bone, so they look like leggy golden retrievers in a Berner coat.  If a Berner has sufficient bone, they should be thick and will obviously weigh more. So without knowing her structure it is hard to say.

What I can guess however is that she is not a big girl and therefore likely won't be more than about 85 lbs. or so.  I am guessing this only based on her weight at 8 weeks but 80's is a safe bet and a good size for a female.  Males should weigh between 100-115 lbs. so please do not go by over sized or really tall Berners you may be seeing - this is a large breed, not a giant breed.

By the way, watch weight gain. You don't want a large breed puppy gaining more than 3 lbs. per week and 2 lbs is closer to ideal for those joints. So the less she weighs, the better.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline LoveMyLulu

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:32:35 pm »
My berner, Lulu, is 7.5 months old and weighs about 75lbs, so we have been told she is pretty big for a bitch of her age.
Is that true?

Offline cesaria

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 04:24:45 pm »
My Berner is an 11 month old girl and she is 62 pounds, has been for quite a while. So, you never know!

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 04:43:07 am »
One formula for estimating the weight of an adult dog based on its weight as a pup goes like this:  for a large-breed dog, double their weight at five months.  For a small dog, use the weight at four months.

Rosita is an Italian Mastiff and was 50 lbs. at 18 weeks of age.   Both her parents are approx. 100 lbs.  I expect her to be 100 lbs., eventually.  Sparky the Chihuahua was 3.2 lbs. at 16 weeks, so he might be a little over 6 lbs.

It would be nice to know exactly.  The sweater I am crocheting for Sparky might be too big...
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 02:01:48 am »
Well, Sammy went to the vet yesterday, and at 4 months, he weighs 45 pounds. At two months, he was 20 pounds, so that's quite a bit bigger than yours was, but Sammy was one of a litter of just four, so maybe that's the reason for his large size as a pup? His dad weighs about 110, so I wonder if he'll be around that size too. Right now, at 45 pounds, he is really pretty skinny. He's getting taller, and is starting to not look as much like a puppy anymore. You can feel his ribs and spine pretty easily, and the vet said he's just thin, not underweight, but I may up his food anyway as he is evidently ALWAYS STARVING. You should see him scarf down his food!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 07:14:09 pm »
I don't know about Berners, but Max was only 74 lbs at 5 months when we got him.  His mom was 170 and his dad 165.  He weighs 178 at 18 months.  Our vet says he should fill out a lot more, since his bones are large and heavy and his chest has only started to get wider in the last 2 months.  His hips are still rather narrow as they haven't really started to widen and muscle up yet.  You can still count each and every rib and his spine is very evident. He was the longest and tallest of his littermates that I saw at 5 months.  I have heard from some of the other owners from this litter that he is not as tall as the others now, but he is the only one I know of that was not neutered or spayed, so I think that is why.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats