Author Topic: Rescue Mastiffs  (Read 12889 times)

Offline MainlyMastiffs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Rescue Mastiffs
« on: March 28, 2005, 01:42:40 pm »
Hi All,
I am new to the board and foster OEM's (old english mastiffs) in Northern California. Right now we are swamped with abandoned, neglected, unhappy Mastiffs. We are in desperate need of foster homes. If anyone is interested Please let we know ASAP. Our web site is at http://www.mastiffrescue.org/ we are a 501 c3. I currently own 1 OEM, 1 CC and a pitt mix. I usually foster 1-2 OEMs at a time.
Thanks!

Offline Mountainmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue Mastiffs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 03:20:57 pm »
I would LOVE to help but I am in PA ???

Can you arange cross country transport?

Offline MainlyMastiffs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 11:42:51 am »
Our group is nationwide. I don't know what they need in your area but if you check out the web page they have a contact list and I am sure they would like your help.
Thanks for the offer!

Offline DevilDog43

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 06:00:41 am »
Hi
Do you happen to know of a Mastiff rescue on the east coast? I am located in NJ & know someone who is looking to place a OEM, 5 yrs old due to divorce.
Cannot find one in our area.
Would appreciate any info.
Thank You
Donna

Offline brees34488

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 10:43:41 am »
Wish I could help you out,but am here in florida .But I did get one from the web page you talked about moca rescue.the photo I have with this message is MR.KO"S I got though moca rescue.I all so have added a nother pic of him.he's a big boy at 33inches tall and I just found out he's now 194 pounds.have to put him on a weight loss program wich I just started,wish me luck

Offline Beth in VA

• Gnawer
  • Our bestest mastiff, Abby, 9/93 - 4/2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 10:19:02 am »
Hi - I am in Northern VA, outside of DC.  I had to put my 12 year old English mastiff to sleep a few weeks ago and have started looking into rescue.  I heard MCOA is no longer doing rescue, but not sure if that's true.  I have submitted apps but no response.  Our Abby was 12 years old.  I have a cat and a 7 year old.  Does anybody have any ideas where else I could be looking?  I never knew a house could be so empty ... we miss her terribly.

-Beth
bethdb@cox.net
______________ ______________ ______
Beth
http://www.froghollerstudios.com
http://sleepyfrog.net

Offline DevilDog43

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 01:55:57 pm »
Hi Beth
 I am so sorry for your loss of your pet. My friend has found a home for his mastiff. Thanks anyway.
You may want to try www.mastiffres cue.org
they are nationwide & are swamped with Mastiffs that need good homes.
Good luck
Donna

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 02:54:21 pm »
You can also check out www.petfinder. org thats how we found our Cane Corso mastiff mix Sophie. I am in Maryland and they have lots and lots of rescue organization in the area listed there.  I do fully support the MCOA so if they get back to you I would go with them first then you know your getting a true OEM.

Rachel
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Mountainmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 10:50:19 am »
Hello,

I am also sorry for your loss, There is a mastiff on petfinder in the Tom's River HS that needs a home she looks to be a very sweet girl. Give it a whirl, when you rescue a mastiff they tend to settle in nicely and give you back more than you could ever expect ;D

Mountainmom

Offline Beth in VA

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 10:43:03 am »
Thanks so much for everybody's kind words and suggestions.  It has been really sad and lonely without Abby.  I have just been missing her so much.  I am happy to report that I got in touch with the Ohio offshoot of MCOA [hi V, if you're reading this!] and talk about timing ... I will be meeting to pick up a lovely mastiff girl who needs a home ... tomorrow afternoon!  I am so excited!  I know she won't replace Abby - nobody ever could - but it will be nice to have her there and to love on her and maybe then we'll all stop feeling so offkilter and ready to cry with any excuse.  :)

There's a lady in my neighborhood whose mastiff puppy is about 9 mos old now.  I'm sure she refers to me as The Crazy Lady, because anytime I see her walking by with her dog, I start crying and ask if I can pet him.  I'm sure she thinks there's a few loose screws in there somewhere...!  Snort!

Ah well, she may be right ...
Beth

Offline brees34488

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 09:21:19 pm »
hello beth,Thats Great news. I so glad that you getting a mastiff from moca rescue ;D Because that where I got my boy from, mr.ko's.BUt I live florida. the people in moca are the Great and they well tell you every thing about you dog you are getting.So sorry about your loss.I just lost my dalmashion not too long ago after having her for more than 8 years.So I really know how you fell.but she left me a massage.here it is, I got to the gate of heaven today,
after we said goodbye
I began to miss you terribly,
because I heard you cry.
Suddenly there was an angel,
and she asked me to enter heaven's gate.
I asked her if I could stay right outside
for someone who would be late.
The angel said I could stay right here
and wait for you to come,
because heaven just wouldn't be heaven
if I went in alone.
So I'll wait right here,
you take your time,
but keep me in your heart,
because heaven just wouldn't be heaven
without you to warm my heart..
Hope this little note help's you some. Please keeps us posted on how things are going with your new mastiff.

ken and mr.ko's
p.s the photo i have with this message is my new boy..........

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 05:49:57 pm »
I would love to hear some updates, from both fronts. How is it going in CA with all the poor souls who needed homes, is it getting any better, are any of them being adopted out. And it really breaks my heart to hear when a dog is going to the bridge. I hope you find what you are looking for, and hats off to you for wanting to adopt, your home may very well be the very first home that mastiff has ever had (a real home that is)

Good Luck to both of you and I will be thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Beth in VA

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 09:43:35 am »
Hi everyone.  I am so pleased to report Lacey Jane has joined our family.  She is the sweetest thing.  I definitely feel better having her in our house ... even if she really looks like our Abby at certain angles.  She does have some issues, which I was expecting, but nothing we can't work thru [no leash manners/some housebreaking problems].  She wants to please so much, I know she will get thru this without any trouble.

She is very loving and so very sweet - she has already formed a strong bond with me.  She follows me everywhere and is happy as long as she can see me.  :)  It amazes me to watch her bolt up and down the stairs with no problem.  Abby was old, frail, and arthritic and she would go sooooooooo slowly and carefully so she wouldn't fall.  Lacey also lays on the kitchen floor and has no problem getting up.  Abby couldn't do that - she'd lay down and then was "stuck" until someone helped her up.

Thanks so much for the poem, Ken, and Mr Ko is just beautiful.  I'm sorry about your dalmation - I know that's a loss you'll probably always feel.  And for everybody with your kind words ... it really did help because I know you all can imagine how bad I was hurting by putting Abby down.  I was having so much guilt ... but now that I see how a young, healthy mastiff acts, it does make me realize just how old and frail and in pain Abby was.  I guess it happened so gradually, I just didn't see it.  Or didn't want to.  I still miss her terribly and send up the occasional prayer for her assistance with Lacey when she's being particularly naughty ... I'm sure she's up there laughing her tail off as Lacey drags me [all six feet of me!] down the street.  :)
Beth

Offline brees34488

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 10:00:39 am »
hello beth,
congrads on your  new mastiff Lacey Jane,Sounds like   your having fun with her.I like the part where you said she drags you down the street.Mr.ko's did that to me for the first coupple of days,she well stop in a few days.Well at least mr.ko's did.Thanks so much for the up date.AM shure things well work out fine for you.just give a little time for her to adjust.took ko's about 2 weeks. ;)...please just us posted on how things go.

regards ken and mr.ko's

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 10:47:00 am »
I am so glad to hear that you have a new big baby in your house, I am certain everything will work out real well, just give it a week or so, for her to adjust to all of you and the new home. And what you said about feeling guilty for being the one making the decision to send Abby to the bridge. Don't I know it is the hardest thing, but in your heart you know you did the right thing, and as their keepers, it is in our responsibility to make those horrible dicisions and we owe it to them to be able to make them. She is thanking you and will forever be yours, waiting on you so she can give you those slobbery kisses again.

With the new girl, I wish you all the best and like I said give it a few days, and she will, I am sure calm down a little, she is probably so so happy to be in a new family so she just can't control herself.

Good Luck and give her big slobbers from my and all my kids

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog