Author Topic: TO GET A SECOND DOG OR NOT TO #2 (SORRY)  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
TO GET A SECOND DOG OR NOT TO #2 (SORRY)
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:55:28 am »
i must have messed up i had typed a whole paragraph it didnt show up. any way
 my family consists of my two month old son, my 2 year old little girl, my 14 month old dane and my husband and i. my dane is an absolute sweet heart. if you didnt know the breed you would think it was odd im sure. he's never ever been agressive toward other dogs, or the neighborhood cats the only time ive ever heard him growl is if he's got yummies he feels the need to defend of if he sees strangers outside. i think that he would enjoy the company of another dog hes realy social REALY social we have a big enough house and yard. Duramax is very respectfull and a very good listener. he's super careful when he is around my mothers dachshunds. other than a dane what do you think would be some suitable breeds for our household including small breeds. suggestions advice and anything else you have to offer will be very appreciated thank you Max is not neutered if we got a female we would have her spayed, also i am a stay at home mom
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:57:42 am by Duramax »
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: TO GET A SECOND DOG OR NOT TO #2 (SORRY)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 08:59:38 am »
in our house, we have 5 dogs.  you can see them in my signature.  i do have to say, if you get a big paw that the only downfall is that your kids will get bumped and knocked around a lot, esp. when they get riled up and start romping around!  not to mention, twice the poop, and damage if they're both puppies!  that said, our big paws get along GREAT, but my great dane's absolute all time best friend is our chihuahua!  either way you go, two dogs is always better than one!

oh, one more thing, is your pup neutered? 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:02:11 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:12:41 am »
no he's not he'll never sire any pups, but my husband and i have had dogs all our lives and none were ever neutered. we would i suppose if a problem arose but as of yet none..
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:25:42 am »
unneutered males will sometimes pick fights, and in some other cases neutered dogs will pick fights with unneutered ones.  that may be one thing to consider before you bring another dog in, esp. with the size of danes (even if you get a female, i've noticed our unneutered males will torment our only female and it's getting to where she will avoid them b/c they get too rough towards her).  a few people on here can tell you about their recent experiences with unneutered males and other dogs.  we have two unneutered males, but will be neutering them soon, as even though they've been with our other dogs for a while (caine, almost a year, and diesel almost 7 months) they're now starting to pick fights since they've hit puberty and starting to mature.  regardless of the fact our hierarchy is already set up, and has been for longer than they've been here.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:27:21 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 09:31:59 am »
I have a small (45 lbs) Male Basette that I p/u when my Dane (Female) was 8.  He is now 4 and the Dane is 12.  They are best buds.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 10:15:33 am »
he's been around my mothers dachshunds over at her house, the only doggy visitor he's had over was a female chocolate lab. and he liked her. he's been around all of the nighborhood dogs, and never had any problems, he's definately hit puberty, but ive yet to see him feel uncomfortable around any dog. he just wants to play and sniff with the new dogs we come across on walks.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 10:23:41 am »
you may want to do a test run with the dog you choose.  if i was you i'd go for a lab or smaller, just from exp. i've noticed axle is hateful to dogs bigger than him (which are few and far between) simply b/c he isn't exposed to them often since i think there's only one other person in the area with a giant paw.  also, i'd suggest to do a test meeting outside the home, as well as a test run inside the home, since it's one thing to meet another dog outside but then to bring it into "his" territory is a whole new ordeal!

p.s.- i've noticed the same thing as stella, as far as my unneutered males getting along with altered dogs, but not unaltered.  though i must say that my unaltered male dane is starting to pick fights among my dogs (and so is about to lose his no surgery privileges!)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:28:00 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 05:08:57 pm »
i thank you for the advice. im thinking we will wait for another dog, as for the neutering i agree. but he's so big now wouldnt it be a painfull surgery? as to spaying a female if we got her it would be done because she was still a pup, i regret not having duramax neutered while he was little, we havent had any troubles yet, but he's not very old either. as to the "im going to protect my bone" attitude he gets, ive been making sure that he knows that he is recieving the bone and that it is given to him and that he has to earn it. but im not sure what else i should be doing, ive heard to take the problem head on, and also to just avoid all " growling situations" which i know that isnt a good idea cuz then he knows the growl worked.he's only done it 3 times his whole life. and when he has done it, he was very uncumfortable with the situation. it was almost like he knew he was being bad but he didnt know what else to do.
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 05:18:06 pm »
Hi there, We have two males currently. And they grew up together. one year appart... Memphis being the oldest... We didnt feel comfortable neutering until he was a bit older. And we were going to show our bullie, Zero. So both males were intact... Up until our other dane, Zeus (who was neutered) passed, the two boys got on GREAT. shortly after, we moved, and the two started to not get along anymore. Zero will take down memphis at any given time.  So unfortunately, we have to keep them seperate. but growing up they DID get along... zero turned 2... Memphis turned 3... We neutered memphis just over a year ago... if anything, it made things worse... Zero is still intact, for now. we plan to neuter soon... Hopefully soon, as we have two females now (And zero gets along GREAT with them)but they are both show bitches and WILL come into season- ooop! not excited about that.
OH, i'd like to also point out, zero WILL get along with any other dog, except Memphis... So- its depressing...
i do think life is complete with more than one dog. as long as u have the time, room and money to keep them ;) but- i just wanted to tell my story because, NOT all dogs who grow up together will stay friends...
Good luck in your desision

Jodi
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~