Author Topic: tablescraps: good or bad?  (Read 4636 times)

Offline yukonlance

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
tablescraps: good or bad?
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:57:59 pm »
hi kristina this is lance.i was curious to know. do you ever feed your pyrs any tablescraps? i have never done it. kinda feel bad :( just going by my vets reccomendation . although they dont seem to know much about nutrition. the pet food scare has opened my eyes to a broad spectrum of questions ???

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Re: tablescraps: good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »
I'm not kristina but I saw this and wanted to answer ;)

Table scraps are no good- pretty much any cooked food is no good, dogs really aren't designed to digest it. Raw human grade foods, like meat, some veggies, a few different fruits (slices of de-seeded apples, bannanas etc), RAW bones, etc are excellent treats and food items. But pretty much anything cooked is a no-no, particuarlarly seasoned cooked foods like most table scraps.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 03:35:46 am »
My dog knows, there is nothing better than leftover STEAK, mmmmm! LOL
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:19:29 am »
My dog knows, there is nothing better than leftover STEAK, mmmmm! LOL

Good point!  I think this highlights the problem with the term "tablescraps".  What does that mean?  It only makes sense to talk in terms of specific foods - some foods are great to give them from my plate, others not so much.

The whole thing about vets and the AVMA saying "never feed tablescraps" comes from the era when this is all dogs ate. Before world war II, people fed whatever they ate since dog food was not the mass marketed business it is today.  Since most people never paid any attention to exactly what their dogs ate and whether it was biologically appropriate and balanced for a dog, I am sure many dogs were not healthy.  And hence, "table scraps are bad" was born.

The reality is any meat that you ate, is good for your dog. And many vegetables - if not buttered and seasoned heavily - are also good.  This also depends on your dog's existing diet - since you can upset mineral and vitamin balance depending on what you feed.  For example, if you feed kibble every day and also give beef leftovers every night - you will mess up the calcium:phosphorus ratio and throw phosphorus and iron really high.  Once in a while however, not a problem.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:29:01 am by sc.trojans »
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 01:28:58 am »
Hi Lance, I don't think table scraps are bad depending on what they are, like the others mentioned. Not being sure if my dogs still have sensitive tummies they weren't even getting treats anymore, except the occasional half a natural biscuit which agreed with them. Recently, we've started giving them some things on occasion as a treat, like some pizza crust or some grilled cheese sandiwich squares that my baby through over the highchair haha. If she is eating when they are let out of the crate to go outside, they will quickly scarf down anything on the floor around her, so I don't worry about that. I give them the occasional, apple, carrot or cheese as well, or if hubby is making jerky they will get a little raw meat too.

I don't feed them just anything and only as a treat on occasion so it's not like it makes up any portion of their daily meal.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:29:17 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:05:35 pm »
I have multiple dogs and have always mixed table scraps into their dishes.  It gives them some variety and I split it up so that they don't all turn into chunky monkeys(though Tenchi gets more than the others since he's still a skinny minnie).  I mean, no matter how much I love steak & mashed taters, I wouldn't want to eat that every day.  Ya know?  To each their own.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 10:36:15 pm »
Hi,  As a rule, I don't feed my dogs table scraps either (usually LOL).  Once in a while, they will get a bite of steak or the bones from ribs when were done, but these are in their food bowls outside.  I've found that by doing this, they've never learned to beg at the table or when we're eating in front of the TV.  I do have 2 treat tubs though, one in the kitchen and one in the family room, and will give them treats a couple times a day.  Oh, and of course if Woody gets into my garden, all my zucchinis and cucumbers get eaten.  He's learned to leave the jalapenos alone LOL
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 10:45:20 pm »
I do give table scraps occasionally. Generally just meat or the odd piece of veggie. If they get anything it all depends on what we are eating. Bubba can't have pork or sausage (severe booty blowout). Lola on the other hand can eat anything but has a tendancy to gain weight.