Author Topic: A skin kid question about ear infection med**Another Update** :(  (Read 3168 times)

mama23+pyrs2

I posted before that they told me Elsha, my 1 yr old had an ear infection on Friday. She was put on Omnicef, once every 12 hours for 10 days. She's had 3 doses so far and tonight when I went to change her clothes, she has a rash over her torso and into her groin area, also on parts of her face, temples, behind the ears and some on her back. It looks like some sort of dermatitis almost. I have a call into her Dr., and am still waiting. I know that a lot of you have had kids with these infections, anyone that has used this medication or had any experience with a rash from it?

I got freaked that it wasn't an ear infection after all and maybe Roseola, since I read about that before and I called my MIL and she was thinking the same thing. Apparently a rash can be a side effect of the medicine but I don't know how serious it is, if it's an allergic reaction or what.

Sorry, I don't have any friends to ask!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 11:41:25 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: A skin kid question about ear infection med
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 09:46:07 am »
Oh dear, I'm sorry that you and Elsha are really having such a tough time of it!  A rash could definately be an allergic reaction to the med, I'd say.  Personally, I wouldn't give her any more of the antibiotic until the Dr called back.  If it takes too long, you may be able to get more info from your pharmacist or if they are closed, I've had good luck calling the nearest Walgreen's 24 hour pharmacy for advice.  You can find them at www.walgreens. com and click on "store locator" at the bottom of the main page.

I don't want to worry you, it certainly could be roseola or something similar, but if it's an allergy that can be very serious. I've had 2 family members hospitalized for reactions to antibiotics, so it's something we have to watch for here.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 10:18:50 am »
i'd go with the reaction to the medicine also.  i wouldn't give any more until i talked to the doctor to get more info.  if you take her to a pharmacy, they can usually help you out and say if it looks like a reaction or something else.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 10:39:21 am »
Thanks you two. Great minds think alike, and I did call the 24 hour Walgreen and speak to the pharmacist. She told me to stop the antibiotic until I talk to the Dr., and that it could be a reaction, a mild one but a reaction just the same. Told me how much Benedryl I could give to stop it. The FINALLY my Dr. called back right at the same time I was putting in a 2nd call.

I described the rash to him but over the phone he said it's too hard to know if it's an allergic reaction, because he says so many parents say one thing and then he sees the kid and it looks nothing like what they described. From what I said he said it doesn't sound like an allergy. To be safe, I'll hold off on the antibiotic for 24 hours and see what happens with the rash. He said to call back if it gets worse or itchy or I need something other than Benedryl. Otherwise if it's still there Monday, I can bring her in for him to look.

I should have taken a pic of it. It is like tiny little pin sized raised bumps. When she woke up from her last nap early this evening she had a few red bumps on her face that looks like little pimples, and I commented to Chris why does she have those? Then after I took off her onesie for bed, I saw the rest. By that time, she had more on her face, neck etc.

Someone else just told me it could be from the fever, it hasn't been high since Thursday night but I guess that doesn't matter.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 10:55:48 pm »
if it was because of the fever, i would think it would be more on the hotest points...  like at the armpit area, inside of the legs, etc.  i hope it goes away!  maybe she just got around something her body didn't agree with
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 11:40:51 pm »
Elsha still has the rash. It's changed and now looks awfully blotchy. I am almost positive that it is Roseola, any of your kids had this? It's apparently super common and once you get it, you're immune. I called the Dr. this morning and once again they told me he was booked, I was p*ssed!!!! So hubby called back and got them to squeeze us in this afternoon.

She still feels warm like she is still running a low temp so I will find out when they take it. I haven't wanted to torture her with taking it again. She is still off the med since I wasn't sure if she was allergic. I just want to know what is wrong already. Wish us luck :-\

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: A skin kid question about ear infection med**Another Update** :(
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 11:45:43 pm »
so sorry to hear that this hasn't cleared up!  keep us updated!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Anakalia

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 12:49:42 am »
Awww I'm so sorry, poor baby Elsha!  Hopefully the Dr. can give you some new meds to try and she can get back to her normal baby self.  I'll be sending positive vibes your way!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 01:08:08 am »
I hope the Dr gets a handle on this and that Elsha is back to her happy, healthy little self soon.
Marie

And my pups:

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 02:37:46 am »
Thanks you guys. We are back and I've realized time and time again that I missed my calling (and all the $), I should have been a Dr.! I've diagnosed my kids on so many occasions, it's pittiful. So, another $60 later and he told me she has Roseola. Not only that, but her ears have cleared already! She was only on the med not even 2 days, that's crazy. He said she doesn't need to go back on it either (a waste of a $60 antibiotic >:() but that the infection had to have been SO mild that her body took over and got rid of it. Anyway, the rash should subside in another couple days or so and she'll be back to normal.

Her appetite came back yesterday, still not up to par but she's getting there and slowly getting back to her fiesty little self. Thanks for all the well wishes. :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 02:48:24 am »
Never underestimate the knowledge of mom's!  I'm glad that it's something self limiting and that she's already doing better.   ;D
Marie

And my pups: