Author Topic: Dog Constipation - Any Tips?  (Read 2693 times)

Offline mendoza

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Dog Constipation - Any Tips?
« on: May 07, 2007, 03:49:59 am »
Hi everyone.

My bulldog recently became constipated. I'm not sure why. We take him for walks pretty much everyday. He eats nothing but dog food, no people food. He's caught up on all of his shots and everything. But he just stopped pooping yesterday. I can tell he's in pain because he's not as active as he usually is.

I have already set up an appointment with the vet for first thing tomorrow morning, but I would like to give him some sort of relief now. If it's possible.

I have been digging around google alot trying to find different constipation tips. but I haven't really found anything useful, besides pumpkin. This site about Dog Constipation mentions you can give your dog Grape-Nuts Flakes, which I assume is for the added fiber benefits. But, is it safe? I've never heard of giving cereal to a dog would relieve his constipation. And frankly, I'm not willing to try without someone giving me some sort of confirmation that this is safe. What about prunes? Prunes help humans, will it help dogs too???

Anyways, I'm about to call the vet and speak with her, and ask her. But, I was just wondering if anyone here could also offer me any suggestions or tips on how to relieve his constipation. Preferably something I already have or is cheaply available, since money is pretty tight right now.

oh, i forgot to mention. I tried giving him pumpkin this morning, but he took one sniff and walked away. I tried mixing it with some leftover brown gravy, he still wouldn't touch it.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Dog Constipation - Any Tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:59:51 am »
if you're SURE that is the problem here's a cut out from a website:

one method to alleviate this problem is by adding one to two teaspoons of bran to his meal. This allows for extra moisture in the stool.  Another method to soften the stool would be to add psyllium (Metamucil in the adult world) to his diet. Half a teaspoon twice a day, in addition to drinking plenty of water, will suffice. A third option would be mineral oil. This may be used in cases where there is a large build-up of hard stool. Two teaspoons, twice a day should be added to his meal, but for only a week. There are several other steps you can take to alleviate your dog's constipation. Keep his food moist by adding a bit of water.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Home-Remedies-For-Dog-Constipation&id=398383

good luck!  oh, about the pumkin, we use it to harden stool, but if you want to give it to him we can mix it in with peanut butter since the taste and smell are so over taking of the pumpkin part!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 04:01:16 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 04:54:51 am »
Hi Mendoza! I'll be eager to hear what your Vet advises. If it were me, I would hold back all food (but offering water)until you go in tomorrow. Reason being, that some years ago my dog Joe showed some of the same signs & fortunatly (being a week day)I was able to get him in that same day. Joey had a blockage. And there in front of me = on the XRay = was a rock he had swallowed! Not that many dogs eat rocks. But my fellow had a "thing" for them. Three years later that silly boy did the same thing AGAIN! Thank goodness he never did it again. He went on to be with me until he was almost 15 years.

I'll be thinking about your fella. Let us know what you find out.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 04:56:55 am »
good point, i was thinking also that this doesn't sound like constipation.  i wouldn't think they'd be acting like they were in horrible pain in just a single day.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]