Author Topic: Itchmo- Safety Allert: Fish Fed Melamine Tainted Feed  (Read 3290 times)

marypyrs

Itchmo- Safety Allert: Fish Fed Melamine Tainted Feed
« on: May 08, 2007, 06:17:34 am »
Just got this from Pyrnet. Actually I'd come into the computer to check it out because I had heard it on NPR. I'll try to attach but if I can't = it's http://www.itchmo.com/read/fish-fed-melamine-tainted-feed 20070508

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Itchmo- Safety Allert: Fish Fed Melamine Tainted Feed
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:55:00 pm »
The really sad part is that adding melamine to feed to boost the protein level is so common in China. Melamine scrap is auctioned to feed manufacturers.

There was even a case solved recently where a Chinese company sold a chemical similar to antifreeze as glycerin which then was used to make medicine which killed a bunch of people in Panama.

We feed Canidae which is made in California with only American ingredients.

Is anyone else boycotting chicken and pork because they are also contaminated?
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Itchmo- Safety Allert: Fish Fed Melamine Tainted Feed
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 01:29:17 am »
Is anyone else boycotting chicken and pork because they are also contaminated?

I don't eat chicken, pork, or beef, but I do eat fish.  I'm thinking of just giving that up too.  Its just not worth the risk to me ... there's plenty of other stuff to eat.

We're vegetarian, so we're supposedly ok unless it gets into dairy products or eggs.  I have to wonder though if they'll eventually decide that it's contaminated animal manure that may be used to fertilize crops.  I haven't heard that, but I wonder.  How long has this been going on already and where's it going to stop?
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees