Author Topic: American pitbulls and other bully breeds  (Read 77143 times)

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
American pitbulls and other bully breeds
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:58:48 am »
;DI noticed there wasn't any forums about APBTs and other bully breeds. Please come and share stories or if you have questions! Hope to hear from you soon!  :D
Mommy to
one baby girl 1 yr and one boy 3 yrs
pitbull Justice-70 lbs. @ 10 mos.
2 kitties Thelma and Louise 1 year.

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
Re: American pitbulls and other bully breeds
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 08:21:04 am »
Has anyone who owned a pitbull had someone pet their dog and then when you say its a pit then shy away?
Mommy to

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 09:00:48 am »
caine is very very very noticeable a pb, so people simply shy away.  but, we have had people pull kids away from us at the sight of him.  regardless of the fact he LOVESSSSSSSSSS kids.  we don't even get a chance.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:19:27 am »
see I deal with the same thing with Atlas already!! He is only 14 weeks old and people steer clear on the street. Its unfair. P.B's are even worse!
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 09:35:33 am »
lol, people do the same thing with our pups already..it's pretty funny. I have to admit if I see a pitbull I'm gonna go the other way too, it's not like I'm gonna run up to pet or hug it. :o Too many bad stories and bad people raising scary ones.

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 09:50:28 am »
well they are also the most POPULAR breeds in america, so of course more are going to be aggressive, because they arent being raised right. The more there are, the more problems there are.  ::) It sucks because those stats ruin it for all the good owners who have sweet loving dogs.
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 09:54:24 am »
True, but it seems there are breeds 'prone' to certain tendencies and take a firmer type of training than others. I don't know the person walking the pitbull or one that is running loose has been raised properly, do I? I've known only 1 personally in my life and she was a sweetheart indeed but she belonged to a friend of mine and I knew her history etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to run up and love on any stray dog, regardless of the breed but I'm not gonna lie and say I'm not more cautious around some. There are some breeds you don't hear all the horror stories about and I do believe theres a reason behind it. It's not the dogs fault of course, but the irresponsible people who raise them for inappropriate things. Some dogs are more prone to go after someone and some are prone to handle it differently, that's all. A lot of people pick certain breeds for certain reasons, I know I did, and what I soley based my decision on.

I'm not against all pitbulls, but I don't think their reputation will ever be a good one to be honest. It's against the law to even own them some places. But I do realize any dog can be bred wrong and raised wrong,  I'm not being ignorant. Hubby was attacked by a lab mix when he was a kid and never liked dogs after that. Thankfully he loves ours.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:55:14 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:05:37 am »
We were looking very much into getting an American Bulldog before I decided on these. Hubby has always wanted one and I did a ton of research into them, but decided at the last minute, it just really wasn't the dog for our family, something didn't feel 100% right about it. Nothing to do with anything behavorial. Hubby still loves them and wants one someday I know. But we both agree we got lucky with the pups I chose (in that they fit the breed standard and what I wanted in a dog), and we really couldn't ask for better dogs. To each his own right?  :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 07:52:37 pm »
Well for the record, I never stated I had a problem with 'Bully breeds', I actually said we were considering getting one, the bullier looking, the better ...and I still like them. I've never been weary of other dogs like that, I think a lot of people (certain individuals) have them because they look intimidating when really they are big sweethearts. I know every single one hubby has met (and has met several!) were just big teddy bears with a scary bark haha.

Again, I'm not talking about responsible pet ownership here! I'm talking about the people that get or breed a dog for the wrong reasons! ANY dog bred improperly with the wrong tendencies can have puppies with problems, agressions, etc.. Some breeds are extrememly overbred, and you can't deny the Pits reputaion is out there because of the people that wanted to train them to be mean and to fight, and those people are still out there. I don't feel I have a prejudice whatsoever, and if that was referring to me, I can only assume because I don't know why other people don't like them exactly, it's offensive. I feel my opinions are logic based, but you can think whatever you want. I already stated as clear as day why I think they've got the reputation and why I wouldn't trust just any Pit or any dog.

Why don't most of you own little dogs? You hate them? Hopefully not. Well, I do know people that hate little dogs and ones that hate big dogs and they all have their reasons. I'm not a hater of any dog or cat or other animal. But it doesn't mean I would choose just any animal for my family either, and I don't see what's wrong with that. More power to you guys that love this breed, or that love GSD's or that love Goldens or Poodles, I have favorite breeds too, just so happens this isn't one of them. (the APBT)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 07:56:04 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 08:05:48 pm »
 Would you guys agree that not just any breed would be suitable for the novice dog owner? Unless everything I read is inaccurate, that would certainly seem to be the case and also makes sense in my head as to the reason why. I don't think a Pitbull is for just anyone. Same as I don't think a Great Dane is, and the list could on and on. One reason I chose against the Bulldog was because I didn't feel like I could take on the type of training they would need to make an excellent family member with the proper temperment etc. So instead of getting one just because we wanted one, I made the responsible choice I felt. Each dog is as individual as people I do agree, but if the dog is bred decently, it will maintain the tendencies/behavoirs/temperment etc of it's breed standard, will it not? I know I can only choose a dog based on that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:08:24 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 10:04:48 pm »
I love the bully breeds. Expecially English Bulldogs and Bullmastiffs. Ann, One of these days I must meet Phelan. ;D

I will admit though that I am a little wary of Pitbulls. I was very close to being bitten on the face by a friends Pit. He just jumped up on the couch beside me, sat down and lunged at my face. Luckily I heard him let out a low growl beforehand or he would have connected. :( Now mind you this was a rescue with unknown history. I don't blame the breed but whenever I meet one that hesitation is still there for me whether I like it or not. :( But do I want them all destroyed? h*ll no! It's the byb's and ignorant owners that I'd like to take out my frustration on.

I do agree that Pits are not for everyone, just like Saint, Danes, Pyrs, Newfs etc.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 11:41:50 pm »
You can meet him whenever you want ;)

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 12:28:54 am »
Isn't it sad. My fiancees mothers neighbors kids played with her the first time they saw ours but then when THEIR dog tried to attack our PB they saw it and nw the kids just stare as they walk by. :'( My dog didn't even do anything thing when their little whatever it is came up off the leash and jumped in my dogs face!! >:( What makes it so sad for me is that our pup always wants to pull and see every person she sees and they won't come near her! :'(
Mommy to

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 12:32:13 am »
you just have to read the signs and always ask if their dog is friendly and if you may pet it. Noone will let you walk up to a potentially dangerous dog and touch it! most pitbulls love people!! ive never met one that doesn't actually!! :D
Mommy to

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 12:36:18 am »
THANK YOU!!!!! you are soo right and it makes me soo happy when i hear people talking some sense!! ;D who knows next year it may be pointers or huskies, ??? then will those breed lovers realize??? :-\ keep fightimg the good fight!!! Say no to bsl... i love apbts! ::)
Mommy to