Author Topic: What is best for walks and around the house?  (Read 4542 times)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
What is best for walks and around the house?
« on: May 17, 2007, 06:48:59 pm »
Our GSD passed this January and we are looking at getting a 2yo Deutscher Doggen/Great Dane or a 5mo. I have seen many large dogs with both Harnesses and regular collars. I know some dogs have  throat problems and harnesses are much better for these. Would you also suggest a leather collar over a nylon? I have so many questions! Do Halti's work very well with these dogs? Thanks a bunch!
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: What is best for walks and around the house?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:50:08 pm »
i thought that the gentle leader worked greaT! it's better to start early with them too, then they get used to it. but fumble is like walking a different dog without it..
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 09:52:55 pm »
It all depends whether the dog is a puller or not. Mine is not and I preffer leather collars. Although, I do like using a choker for unexpected situations such as a cat running buy and you really don't want to loose your arm, LOL
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:08:10 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:56:50 pm »
We have almost 5 month old Great Pyr puppies who were difficult to walk, in that they didn't want to move- so I bought them harnesses to make it easier to get them going.  Now that they walk easily, my male does like to pull a bit and I noticed the harness helps a lot over a regular collar. They are still young yet so I don't know what I'll need to try as they get older. Aside from that, they just wear regular nylon buckle collars..not the snap ones as I don't trust those.