Author Topic: Fish Oil????  (Read 4295 times)

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
Fish Oil????
« on: May 18, 2007, 10:52:42 am »
Well my breeder told me to give Joy fish oil for her dandruff.  Has any one here lately had to give fish oil and how much do I give?
The capsule are 1000 mg. 
I was reading up on the sites pertaining to the fish oil.
Just wondering what everyone does for dandruff.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Fish Oil????
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 11:01:19 am »
we do the fish oil, one capsule per meal.  it works good, but salmon oil works great also, better IMO.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 12:12:30 am »
Our kids do fish oil too. I cook for the kids, so they eat lots and lots of fresh fish. Stitch seems to know if a pill is in his food and picks it out. The fresh fish works best and they LOVE it! No skin issues and beautiful coats. They really like Salmon and makereil.
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Elvis-3yr male (#1 lovey)
Stitch-2yr male (Elvis's baby bro & WILD child)
Audrey-10mo female Landseer (wanted a Hepburn, ended up with a LILO!)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 05:20:32 am »

Several studies have shown that marked EPA benefit requires 180 mg per 10 lbs of body weight.  I give this amount for general maintenance and have seen it require 25% more to improve health conditions such as poor skin and coat or active allergies.

So, it is important to look at the EPA level on the label - this is what matters and NOT the overall mg level.  If you purchase a fish oil with high EPA level, then you can obviously get away with feeding a lot less.

Wild salmon oil is your best oil source, despite the fact that deep water fish often have higher EPA levels.  This is because you must also consider mercury and other toxins in deep water fish.  So I suggest sticking with the highest EPA level you can find in wild salmon oil - I recommend Carlson's for this reason (quality, purity, and EPA levels).

As a side note - several nutrient deficiencies will cause flaky skin so you may need to consider other sources to the problem.  I see flaky skin more often a result of zinc deficiency or thyroid problem than anything else.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 06:02:06 am »
Harley gets Salmon Oil in her food. But mine is in a pump form. She gets a totol of 4 pumps a day. It works wonders for dry skin.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 08:34:39 pm »
....I tried the fish oil, in caplet form, it has both salmon and fish oils.  The EPA is 180 and the DHA is 120. 
I have been giving her one with each meal, so twice a day.  In a week things are already getting better skin wise.  Thanks BPO, I looked everywhere to get the correct info on this and here is where I found it.
Joy hasn't even been itching as much.
We also plan to change her to the Six Fish from Origen in June, that is when this new formula comes out.  It has no egg in it and this is what Joy is allergic to.  When we switched her this last time, the difference was dried egg to whole fresh eggs in the ingredients, and that made a bit of a difference, not eating her hair off to itch.  But I still feel that a no egg diet will be even better.
Thanks again guys. :)
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com