Author Topic: Nail clipping, ugh  (Read 9439 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Nail clipping, ugh
« on: April 02, 2007, 04:18:30 am »
How many of you do this yourself? I never thought it would be a big deal but good lord. I have to admit last night was the first time I've attempted to clip their nails and it may be the last, ha! The vet did it at their first visit and of course for the tech, they didn't flinch.

Do you think it will just take some getting used to? I gave them some bones to distract them and had hubby try to hold one down, it was nearly impossible! Fortunately they don't try to bite or anything, they just fight it and Yukon is stronger than us already, and Yiska is getting there.

I have visions of them being grown and it being easy, am I crazy to have such fantasies? :P

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 12:20:04 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Nail clipping, ugh
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 04:35:56 am »
if you were nervous that could contribute to them acting a fool.  if you're not confident your dogs can tell and they'll act up.  the vet techs / vet have a TON of experience, and are very confident.  most dogs who act a fool for the mommy/daddy are angels for the vets!  we cut our dog's nails (unless i'm just too lazy ha ha) and my dogs know they're not leaving until it gets done.  it does get easier, as you get more confident and your dogs learn that it's gonna happen if they like it or not!

p.s.-  if you're just starting, have you bought some Styptic Powder (like kwik stop), just in case you happen to get the quick?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 04:43:00 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 04:43:51 am »
with long haired dogs, you can get panty hose, and put them over their feet, and punch the nails through.  it works great to hold the hair back so it won't get hung up in the clippers.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 04:44:39 am »
if you were nervous that could contribute to them acting a fool.  if you're not confident your dogs can tell and they'll act up.  the vet techs / vet have a TON of experience, and are very confident.  most dogs who act a fool for the mommy/daddy are angels for the vets!  we cut our dog's nails (unless i'm just too lazy ha ha) and my dogs know they're not leaving until it gets done.  it does get easier, as you get more confident and your dogs learn that it's gonna happen if they like it or not!

Hmm, well I wasn't nervous about it, I just wanted to get it over with because I had a feeling they were gonna put up a fight before I even started- they don't like brushing either, but it's gotten easier. I'm used to cutting nails, I get all the nail cutting responsibiliie s for everybody hahaha- gosh and all the other responsibiliti es too now that I mention it. ;) But yea, the vets do that sort of thing all day long, so I'm sure it comes easier. That was when I just got them so they weren't sure of anyone, but now I can see them behaving still for a stranger, seems that's the way it works.

Guess I just have to get them used to it.

Thanks!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:49:58 am »
Good tips thanks. I've been meaning to get a styptic stick just to have on hand since mistakes happen, I still gotta get that. I've always trimmed my dogs nails, kitten nails, even rabbits nails so I know how it's just how easy they are gonna make it. Right when I'd steady the nail, they'd yank their paw back or flip around and kick. It was all hubby could do to hold them down, crazy.

OH and we always make it a point to play with their feet and things because of stuff like this. It was easier when they were younger and more insecure, now they like to mouth you when you touch their feet. They are good at giving you their paw, but like to mouth you when you take it haha (Yukon especially)..I'm breaking them of that though.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 05:06:55 am »
ours can be bad about mouthing when you do nails too.  you could try putting putting that antibacterial hand gel, lotion, etc on your hands and they'll learn quick not to do it if that's on your hands each time they try that ha ha. 
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 12:44:21 pm »
I am allllll for the dremmel! We did the boys nails last night and they were awesome! Gweck is a TINY bit not into but all the treats that Aaron is shoving into his mouth makes up for it. Here's a great site that Holly posted that explains dremmeling REALLY well and it helped me last night! I took off a lot more than normal and the boys didn't care. By the end, Gweck was laying belly up the goof! http://homepages.udayton.edu/%7Emerensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

keep at it, they'll get used to it!

Well well, learning something new all the time. I'd never heard of doing this before, this is very interesting..m ore to research now! I have the scissor like clippers now. Which tool do you guys use? Seems alot to know about the settings and grits etc.

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 05:03:04 am »
I admit it! I'm a total chicken! I'm soooo scared to cut the nails. I take the boys to the groomer for this. I think I'm just so worried I'll do it wrong and hurt them. I have no issues with any other part of grooming. I brush teeth, clean ears, trim a knot away from privates! Oooooh! :P But I've yet to have the confidence to clip nails.
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Elvis-3yr male (#1 lovey)
Stitch-2yr male (Elvis's baby bro & WILD child)
Audrey-10mo female Landseer (wanted a Hepburn, ended up with a LILO!)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 10:48:58 am »
I've heard some people stick peanut butter to the fridge and then stand the dog next to the wall (think shoeing a horse) and clip their nails while they're busy licking the peanut butter.

I've gotten all my guys used to it as puppies by clipping a nail and treating.  Works best after a hard play outside and some brushing and puppy massage/handling, then they're pretty calm and not as squirmy. 

However Faust is stilll a big knucklehead about it, even though I've worked with him, the same as the rest, since he was 6wks and he'll be 9yrs in July.   :-\  The others just lay on their sides or in my lap and let me do it.  They don't love it, but they accept that its going to get done.  Faust OTOH sounds like a wailing banshee and its less stressful for him if I just hold him down and get it over quickly, then treat at the end.

I do want to try the dremel though, I'm trying to talk Jay into letting me get one.  ;)  Maybe Faust will like that better.
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:58:26 am »
I have a dremel! Can you still hurt them or dremel too much like with nail clippers?
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Elvis-3yr male (#1 lovey)
Stitch-2yr male (Elvis's baby bro & WILD child)
Audrey-10mo female Landseer (wanted a Hepburn, ended up with a LILO!)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 11:00:42 pm »
One of these days I will get a dremel and see how it goes. For now, we just hold them down with all our might and I go to town. They hate it and fight like no other but it gets done lol. They love giving paw, especially Yukon, but don't want you to actually do anything with it. ;) And those darn double dewclaws grow faster than anything else it seems! Feels like there are never ending nails to clip.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 11:12:16 pm »
One of these days I will get a dremel and see how it goes. For now, we just hold them down with all our might and I go to town. They hate it and fight like no other but it gets done lol. They love giving paw, especially Yukon, but don't want you to actually do anything with it. ;) And those darn double dewclaws grow faster than anything else it seems! Feels like there are never ending nails to clip.
A lots of Pyrs feel very private about their dewclaws. It's not very hard to cut Lily's nails BUT dewclaws. Plus, they are so stinkin thick I have to really use my muscles to trim them down.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 05:49:43 am »

We also had to gently restrain our dogs to clip nails until my husband lucked onto our new procedure.  He lifts them up (his arms tucked under their belly's like a fork lift) and holds them up while I sit on the ottoman under them and clip nails.  Yep, I get the easy job!  ;)  ;D  It is pretty funny but they don't seem to be as stressed (just kind of bemused, like what are you doing??) as they did when we restrained them and it goes much quicker and easier.  Then when they're all done they get treats, too.  Of course, this won't work for the heavier dogs, but ours are all at or a little under 90# so it's worked for us so far. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 05:57:34 am »
It sounds like a really good idea!!!

We also had to gently restrain our dogs to clip nails until my husband lucked onto our new procedure.  He lifts them up (his arms tucked under their belly's like a fork lift) and holds them up while I sit on the ottoman under them and clip nails.  Yep, I get the easy job!  ;)  ;D  It is pretty funny but they don't seem to be as stressed (just kind of bemused, like what are you doing??) as they did when we restrained them and it goes much quicker and easier.  Then when they're all done they get treats, too.  Of course, this won't work for the heavier dogs, but ours are all at or a little under 90# so it's worked for us so far. 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)