Author Topic: Teeth cleaning  (Read 11631 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Teeth cleaning
« on: May 22, 2007, 10:54:06 pm »
I was wondering how many of you brush your dogs teeth and how often? Also, if you don't, what treats to you use to get their teeth cleaned.

I have tried to clean Lily's teeth using various brushes she was not too thrilled. Since she is getting raw bones her teeth are really not that bad BUT she does have some plaque bilt-up every now and then. I bought a professional plaque remover and clean her teeth every three months or so but I would definitely rather do it less
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Teeth cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:55:16 am »
Gosh, I don't plan to ever brush my dogs teeth! If that makes me a bad dog mommy so be it but it seems unatural to me lol. The bones are going to have to be good enough! Good luck with it though, if nails are as hard as they are, I cannot imagine teeth! Lily is one spoiled and sparkling girl. ;)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 01:03:25 am »
Gosh, I don't plan to ever brush my dogs teeth! If that makes me a bad dog mommy so be it but it seems unatural to me lol. The bones are going to have to be good enough! Good luck with it though, if nails are as hard as they are, I cannot imagine teeth! Lily is one spoiled and sparkling girl. ;)
I didn't plan to brush it and I don't BUT it really concerns me that she gets so much plaque on her teeth.  I saw quite a few doggies older than Lily and they have cleaner teeth without brushing. I am trying to find something good for her to chew on to clean her mouth.

Have anybody used these? I am wondering if they are safe
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=5396&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=white&sku=1005197&familyID=100306&
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 01:05:01 am »
I have never had any luck with teethbrushing at home.  I've tried the flavored pastes, the little brush that goes on your fingers, everything.  My dogs act like I'm murdering them. lol

The only thing that's really worked for me is to give them raw bones at home to work out what they can, like you do with Lily, and then just hand them over to the vet once a year for a good professional cleaning.  I don't feel like an evil mommy chasing them around the house that way, and the vet is able to alert me to any problems more serious than just funky breath.  It is WAY worth the cost to me!
How much does it usually cost to professionally clean their teeth? (I hope you don't mine for asking ???)
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 01:31:08 am »
How much does it usually cost to professionally clean their teeth? (I hope you don't mine for asking ???)

Don't mind at all!  My vet charges $65 if its just a routine cleaning with no major build up, nothing to fix, etc.  The most I've ever paid for nasty built up teeth was about $200.  That didn't include any tooth repair, or pulling or anything ... that was Keagan's first teeth cleaning bill.  He had about six years of built up nasty plaque from his previous owners not taking care of him, so there was just more to clean.  He has awful teeth, so his bills are generally a little higher than the other dogs.
Does Vet give dogs a shot to relax or totally puts them to sleep in order to clean their teeth?
Mary W. Crane

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:27:16 am »
I never brush Harley's teeth and she has beautiful white teeth, no plaque at all. But I am lucky she loves to chew on bones so that is what keeps them white and the bones in her raw food help too. Also nyla bones are great for teeth cleaning as well, they also make special ropes that clean teeth as well.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 02:28:01 am »
I have thought about the professional cleaning but had no idea how much it would cost, that sounds pretty reasonable. I suppose I should get myself to a dentist once in awhile though too. ::)

I think I'd much rather go that route than the brushing! Lord knows I have enough teeth to brush. :P

I like your new pic of Lily!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:28:21 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 04:09:58 am »
Look what I found! Have any of you used it? It seems like it could work just not for extreme chewers

http://www.easybrush.com/
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 04:23:19 am »
OH, I actually saw that on some site I was looking at. I wasn't too sure how well it work but it looks interesting! You'll have to let us know if you try it. Knowing my dogs, they wouldn't even chew on it. Now a real toothbrush they would haha.

Offline newfiesx3

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 04:37:48 am »
I think dogs are like people in the way that all our dental needs aren't the same. Some of are more prone to plaque and cavities.

Elvis has a lot of plaque and we brush every week. Stitch has little plaque and he brushes 2x a month. Audrey is a nut and she won't let us brush without trying to eat the toothbrush and anyone attached to it! She's a spazz. We started the boys young and that helps.

I will admit the first toothbrush I bought Elvis, was only because it was cute! ;D
My heart,soul...house,car,bed,kitchen,....wallet all belong to three beautiful Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Hmm..we could have 4 or 5,6....

Elvis-3yr male (#1 lovey)
Stitch-2yr male (Elvis's baby bro & WILD child)
Audrey-10mo female Landseer (wanted a Hepburn, ended up with a LILO!)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 06:35:33 am »
OH, I actually saw that on some site I was looking at. I wasn't too sure how well it work but it looks interesting! You'll have to let us know if you try it. Knowing my dogs, they wouldn't even chew on it. Now a real toothbrush they would haha.
OK, I bought it...Not worth the money! She licked the toothpaste from the ends and then bit the plastic. From what I have seen her canine teeth didn't even go in those holes. I ended up scraping the plaque regular way. It's funny though how she doesn't let me to brush her teeth but doesn't mind getting it scraped.  ???
Mary W. Crane

marypyrs

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 07:14:23 am »
"I think dogs are like people in the way that all our dental needs aren't the same. Some of are more prone to plaque and cavities."

I think Newfiesx3 is right. Well - going by my guys over the years anyway. I start my puppies off when they're young with the finger brush just to get them used to it. Kind of like feet and ear handling. But a good diet & raw bones are big X's. The actual tooth brush has never been well accepted by any of them. (Although my puppy loves ANYTHING that goes into his mouth & would probably EAT a brush!)

My vet always checks gum color & health first. So far I haven't had to have any cleaning. & so far (knock on wood) none of them have had to go "under" because I really worry about a Pyr & anesthesia. Dr. Pitts also thinks that just scraping by hand works as well as anything so far as a light food stain, etc.

Your Lily is just SO BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! HER! It's wonderful seeing her strut- her - stuff!!!!!! Can't wait to hear more about her success in the ring! :D

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 10:52:40 am »
My guys get Raw Bones to chew on and if there is any plaque than I just scrape it off during a grooming session.  Its very rare that I have to though.  I'm a bad mommy and don't brush their teeth.   :-\
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.