Author Topic: How do I train my dog to stop chasing squrriels and cats?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Zoe1

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
How do I train my dog to stop chasing squrriels and cats?
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:15:06 am »
Hi my family and I have a beautiful female Giant Schnauzer who loves to chase squrriels and cats and nearly pulls our arms out of their sockets.
Do you have any advice on traing our dog?
Is there a collar that you can when taking a walk around the block that you can send a message to the dog that chasing squrriels and cats is off limits?
We do have a gentle lead halter that we put on her when we take her on her walks.
It does help with pulling but not with chasing squrriels and cats.
Otherwise she is a perfect lady
any help would be greatly apreciated.
Thank you
Zoe1

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How do I train my dog to stop chasing squrriels and cats?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 10:25:24 am »
Does she know the "leave it" command?  This command works for so many things.  I use it repeatedly, as in every word out of my mouth, on walks with my three.  They will stop smelling the grass, lunging at dogs barking on the other side of fences, ignore people walking down the street, etc.  Also being super vigilant when you are walking to see if you can spot the cats and squirrels first works great too.  That way once you have seen them you can either redirect the walk or her attention from the chase and you are also prepared for the lunge itself.  Hope that helps some.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

mama23+pyrs2

Re: How do I train my dog to stop chasing squrriels and cats?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 08:10:34 pm »
Leave it works for great for ours too! Even on walks, they stop sniffing or whatever as soon as tell them to. They still go for our cats in the house but do respond somewhat to the leave it command for that too. Not as much as I would like yet. I'm waiting for the cats to become old news.