Author Topic: GWP -- Opinions on clipping for summer?  (Read 5157 times)

Offline duke06

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
GWP -- Opinions on clipping for summer?
« on: May 25, 2007, 01:02:36 am »
I'm very new to the big dog world (well, the dog world at all), and need some advice about grooming for my German Wirehair.  He's just a puppy, so he's very busy and ALWAYS dirty. I've been reading up on grooming for this breed, and most sites and books say to avoid bathing them too often, because their hair is water resistant (this is fine by me: he's had one bath, and I think it was more traumatic for me than him).  But, he is beginning to stink, and it is starting to get very warm.  I guess I'm just wondering if it ok to shave him this spring, or if that would mean his hair would grow back less water-resistant.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: GWP -- Opinions on clipping for summer?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:43:06 am »
I am sure he will be just fine if you bath him more often. Just because his coat is water resistant doesn't mean you can't clip him or wash him more. It sure will take more time to make it wet, LOL!
Why does he stink? Improper nutrition can cause it or he just need some supplements to boost his immune system.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 04:53:47 am »
Another option might be to give him a kiddy pool full of water to play in.  He'll stay cooler and maybe cleaner too...that is if, and it's a big IF he doesn't find some nice cool dirt to roll in after his refreshing dip in the pool.  ::)  LOL!  Personally, I'd hesitate to clip or shave him down, I'd worry that he'd get sunburned.   :-\
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 04:58:43 am »
Another option might be to give him a kiddy pool full of water to play in.  He'll stay cooler and maybe cleaner too...that is if, and it's a big IF he doesn't find some nice cool dirt to roll in after his refreshing dip in the pool.  ::)  LOL!  Personally, I'd hesitate to clip or shave him down, I'd worry that he'd get sunburned.   :-\
Talking about pools...OK, I will start another topic on the General Board!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 10:47:56 pm »
 There is no reason you can not bath him as much as every other week as long as you are using a shampoo meant for dogs. As far as shaving goes...his coat will grow back different once shaved and shaving him will not stop him from smelling.

I would strip out any DEAD coat and bath him every other week and you should be good.