Author Topic: hi  (Read 8605 times)

Offline Keith

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
hi
« on: May 27, 2007, 10:30:40 pm »
Hi there im new to this forum, pls to meet u all. im planing to get a rottweiler next December - January. i have a question if somebody can answer it.If i get the rottweiler and after about a year i have children, do i have problems ?

Thanks 

Icerotti

Re: hi
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:41:02 pm »
 Tina made excellent points in her post above.

We had 2 rottis before we had our baby. Katie our female who passed 2 years ago and Puck our male who is 9 years old now. They were both great with the baby (who will be 7 years old the end of this month..lol) Katie didn't really have the best temperment not as stable as Puck--(poor breeding) We just taught our daughter from day one to always ask us if she could pet either dog until she got older. We always made sure she was supervised with the  dogs.

Puck helped our daughter learn to walk she would pull up beside him and hold onto his back and he would walk ever so slowly around with her holding on.

Never once did we have any close calls or incidents. We had the occasional knock down from a big rotti bum turning around...lol not intentional though.

When I was pregnant I wish I had a dime  for every time someone said well what are you going to do with the dogs...they will eat the baby  ::)

As Tina said as long as you train your dog and your child to respect one another --you should not have any difficulties.

Good luck...you will have to post pictures when you get your baby!!!!

Puck is on the left anf Katie the right.
The last pic is Puck  and my daughter was 6 months old.

modified to add: obedience training is key with these dogs (as with any breed)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 11:08:54 pm by Icerotti »

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 01:34:34 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the board.
I totally agree with previous comments.And I will add that once you get your fur baby,start from the begining with small children and babies .Teaching what is allowed and what isn't to both the fur kid and the skin kids as well.

All the time you take to do this is worth every second.

You shouldn't have any problems at all.
Please remember to post pictures once you get your fur kid and of course later once you have a skin kid too.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Keith

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 02:19:28 pm »
Thanks all of you and i'll post pics for sure

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 08:09:54 pm »
Welcome and happy Rottie hunting!  they are good dogs. 
I never had kids so i may not be a big help.  but if any dog is well socialized and has a great personality and disposition you shouldn't have a problem.  Grace's only problem is that she is so overwhelming with kisses she can knock a little one over. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 08:17:06 pm »
Oh Michelle, those pics of puck and katie with Lexi are wonderful.

Offline RacheH

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 08:22:55 pm »
Hello y'all!

My neighbours have a Rottweiler, and i'll tell you he's like 168 times as smart as my GSD Rocky. The other day i was petting him from behind the fence, and our neighbours have carboard boards put up so that the dogs don't cause too much noise barking at each other... He noticed that one of the boards was being held up only by a tree branch... And the bugger goes over to it and tugs and tugs until the board fell down and he could sit by the fence so i could give him some TLC :) lol

If i had more space for another dog, i'd definitely get a Rott, this one has made a huge impression on me. His owner took him through the proper training since he was a pup and i think that that is the most important thing with any dog, but most especially with the more dominant breeds!

So if i were you honey go get me a Rotti, give him the training he needs so as he won't have any doubts about who's in charge of things, and baby or no baby he'll make one helluva great companion for you, not to mention protector!

Hope this helps...

PS.. Shadow, my neighbours rott, was bitten by a snake today! He saw it in his garden and charged it, nearly killing it but got a bite in himself.. He's all swollen now but he's been to the vets and taken all the shots he needs to take + anti-histamine for the swelling! Tough dogs... tough sweet lovable dogs... gotta love 'em! xxx
"There is no such thing as a Bad Dog..."

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 11:07:34 pm »

Aw Thanks..as you can see she still has all her fingers and toes in the pictures despite everyone thinking they would be eaten off by vicious rottis... ::)...some people...lol

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 05:57:18 am »
We lost our beloved Rot/Lab a year ago last January to cancer.  He was the love our lives and not a day goes by without me still missing him.  He was incredibly intuitive, sensitive, protective, and smart!  Those who met him swore that he was a person in a dog suit! 

The only difficulty we had was that he would become really nervous and bark around babies when they cried....again ....this was more from a "WHAT'S WRONG????? WHO'S HURTING THAT BABY???"  stance!  Oh...gotta love him!

Here's a pic of my beloved big head waking up from some beauty sleep!  Good luck!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 08:23:00 am »
Hello and welcome.

I agree with what the others said.  Rotties are wonderful dogs, and given proper socialization and training will make an excellent addition to the family, kids or no.  Good luck on your future pup, you are really thinking ahead.  I don't think I could wait that long.........l ol.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 08:33:16 am »

Aw Thanks..as you can see she still has all her fingers and toes in the pictures despite everyone thinking they would be eaten off by vicious rottis... ::)...some people...lol
yeah...she's one lucky little girl.  you must have counted her fingers and toes every night till she wasn't so bite sized.  :)

Offline Keith

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 04:34:19 pm »
hello again, i did my reserch on every Rottweiler breeder here in Malta, finally i found the perfect one.Yesterday me and my girlfriend went to see the dogs, they're beautiful.Prop ably im getting one next month, but i have my little problem, the dog is gonna live with me and my parents for about a year.my girlfriend asked me this question, is the dog will be able to let me fits in the pack when we move to our place? is she wright or wrong  ??? 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 07:52:41 pm »
hello again, i did my reserch on every Rottweiler breeder here in Malta, finally i found the perfect one.Yesterday me and my girlfriend went to see the dogs, they're beautiful.Prop ably im getting one next month, but i have my little problem, the dog is gonna live with me and my parents for about a year.my girlfriend asked me this question, is the dog will be able to let me fits in the pack when we move to our place? is she wright or wrong  ??? 
yes.  a well trained dog will fit right into most situations.  Grace, my holy terror, has been through a divorce recently between me and my ex and now has a fantastic new life with a man and his dog, who we see on weekends.  :)  grace and Rob and grace and KC are great friends.

Offline lokibud

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 10:06:03 pm »
my biggist concern with my rott was his jumping. i never thought of it as a problem because im bigger than him but he did try to jump on a friend of mines four year old daughter. he didnt hurt her but she cried and he whined like a little girl because he thought he did hurt her. he is so smart because now he dosent jump and is extremly calm with children. he dosent even wag his tail around them because he thinks it might hurt them.