Author Topic: Has anyone heard of this?  (Read 6081 times)

EllieAndBlu

Has anyone heard of this?
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:52:16 pm »
I am wondering.... has anyone heard of or used the "Quickfinder"?

It is a nail trimmer that claims to sense the quick, thus indicating where it is safe to cut the nail.

I am curious if it works.

http://www.quickfinderclipper.com/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 10:53:12 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:55:06 pm »
I've hear of a similar product, but you just stick a piece of film on the nail and cut in the registered safe zone. I believe they just measure heat, so anything in front of blood will be cooler.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 01:48:30 am »
I've never used it, but it looks like an interesting product. The only problem is that it says that it works for animals up to 75#.  Still, it could be great for people with smaller pets, especially those with the black nails that make the quick so hard to see.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline RacheH

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 02:10:37 am »
No i've never heard of it either, and probably can't find them where i live anyway. When Beau was still at the shelter the lady there was cutting his nails and as she was cutting one of them, he jerked and her hand slipped and she cut into the quick. Poor thing bled for about 3 minutes or something and was whimpering so badly, that now i'm terrified of cutting his nails (black in colour) too short so i just trim them about 3mm down each few weeks...
"There is no such thing as a Bad Dog..."

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 02:33:04 am »
Yeah - I am the same way... I am so afraid of cutting Blu's nails too short (Ellie won't even let me)that I only end up taking the tips off... and I have to work fast because I have to bribe him with non-stop treats while I am trimming... I am always on the look-out for an easier way in the nail-trimming dept.

Thankfully today both Ellie and Blu are at the vet's getting a trimming.  :)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 02:35:37 am »
I've hear of a similar product, but you just stick a piece of film on the nail and cut in the registered safe zone. I believe they just measure heat, so anything in front of blood will be cooler.

interesting... . at the risk of sounding like a complete dummy... by film, do you mean photography film?

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 04:49:25 am »
Do you remember mood rings and all the products associated with them? It reminds me of the cards you got with the little strip of black plastic/film that changed colours. I saw it in our local newspaper as the product is being developed by a vet student at the University of Guelph. Don't know much more about it ::)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 09:30:58 am »
Sounds interesting.  I haven't cut a quick in a long time, but always keep some Quickstop around just in case.  Actually I got it last year after Gunther kept running his nails raw........... his feet weren't used to running on gravel after we moved up here and ran nails on both feet to bleeding.  Had to use flour and baking powder to try and stop the bleeding.

For those of you wary of cutting too deep on dark nails, there is a way to tell how far to cut.  You don't use the quick as a marker (at least not inside the nail) since you can't see it anyway.  Look at the underneath of the nail.  You should be able to see where the nail ends and the quick/tissue begins.  Just stop short of that and you are fine.