Author Topic: High Protein for puppy: good or bad?  (Read 20691 times)

Lyn

Re: High Protein for puppy: good or bad?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 10:26:11 pm »
I just had a discussion the other day with the owner of the store I purchase Orijen from about high protein and large/giant breed puppies.

She said that a Bloodhound breeder and a Boxer breeder are both raising their litters on Orijen Large Breed Puppy and apparently they are not having any rapid growth issues/problems. She obviously couldn't give me any detailed information but I'm going to see if I can get their phone numbers. I'd like to talk more indepth with them about it. I'll let you all know what I find out.

That said though I am feeding Abby our Pug pup the Orijen Puppy. She's been eating it mixed with a small amount of Canidae canned since she was 5 weeks old, she's 12 weeks old now. It hasen't affected her growth at all, she's still one of the smallest in the litter. But I will say her fur is amazingly soft and shiny.

I also have Bubba (28 months old) and Lola (14 months old) on Orijen. I wasn't planning on putting Lola on it before age 2, but the recalls kinda pushed me in that direction.  :-\

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 05:23:05 am »
An interesting article.
"high-carbohydrate diet the dog had been eating might be producing hyper-reactivity. "
http://www.webtrail.com/petbehavior/april99.html

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 10:45:28 pm »
I remember my breeder telling me not to go over 23% protein for my dogs and that excessive protein would give them excessive energy which at least for my breed, isn't the type of dog they are. I dunno.

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 09:54:10 pm »
I remember my breeder telling me not to go over 23% protein for my dogs and that excessive protein would give them excessive energy which at least for my breed, isn't the type of dog they are. I dunno.

There are 3 sources that can convert to calories(energy): protein(excessive), fat, and carbohydrate. The latter one is the easiest one to convert to calories(in the form of glucose). High protein(>40%) food contains less carbohydrate(<20%), and low protein(~24%) food contain much more carbohydrate(>40%).