Author Topic: No! He's a Landseer, Dangit!  (Read 36354 times)

Offline Becki

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
No! He's a Landseer, Dangit!
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:26:13 am »
I realize that I should have more patience with people who don't know newfies, but if I hear one more cockamamie dog combination for what my Landseer is, I'm going to hit someone in their head!

So far, I've gotten:
1.  Is that a Border Collie/ Lab Mix?
2.  Is that a dalmation/lab mix?
3.  Is it a dalmation/border collie/lab mix?
4.  Is that a dalmation/St. Bernard Mix?
5.  Is that a border collie/St. Bernard Mix?

Every great once in a while I get a semi intelligent person who throws newfoundland in the mix but never gets it right. 

Is it wrong to get so offended when someone mistakes a pure bred with a mix???  I don't have anything against a mix, I love them just as much...I just get so irritated by.  Why can't they just ask what he is without trying to guess?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:29:56 am by EastJenn »

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: No! He's a Landseer, Dangit!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 01:40:36 am »
I wouldn't say there is something wrong with you. When I had my dane Shaft it would irritate the life out of me when people asked if he had a saddle. (Holla if you hear me BPO'ers)  So I can see the frustration.  Though I wouldn't let it bother me after a while.  Some people just really do think they are that creative.  Look at your situation this way.  It gives you an opportunity to talk about the breed and how wonderful it is and all the different colorations they come in.  Then you can totally show off your breed knowledge and wow them.   
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 01:57:27 am »
I guess I feel a little differently about this issue. I think that its cool that people express interest in your dog, so who cares if they don't quite know the breed? My dog IS a mix, so its kind of fun to hear what people's guesses are. They usually get the Chow part right. And hey, maybe they're right on any of their other guesses. After all, Cabeza's breed is only a guess on my part, too.

I guess what I'm saying is don't be annoyed...peop le think your dog is cool and want to talk to you about him! Think of it as an opportunity to be an ambassador for the Newfoundland breed! You can say, "oh! No! He's a Landseer Newf! They're named for the painter that used to paint them...they come from Canada and were trained to rescue fishermen out of arctic, frigid, water!" You know...whateve r. Then next time that person sees a Newf, they'll be SO PROUD of themselves for recognizing the breed!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 02:03:07 am »
LOL!  i don't know the answer, but we all get the question...eve n me.  i have a rott (used to have 2 till the divorce) and one time someone asked me what kind of dogs they were.  I kinda looked at him in disbelief.  what an idiot.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 02:12:27 am »
I actually had someone argue with me that Sierra was not a Newf but a Black Lab.  He kept saying, "I know what a black Lab looks like and that's a Lab".  I replied with "And I know what know what breed of dog I purchased."  Then he had the nerve to act offended that I was rude, but it was okay for him to call me a crazy liar.

I never make a guess at a dog's breed.  I just ask rather than risk looking stupid. 
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 02:31:06 am »
I always guess or ask. Yep, I'm that girl. I love knowing, I'm just a curious person.  And, I do think it's educational.  But, if the person tells me its a specific breed, I don't argue. 

Even if I'm right, which happens all the time...Just ask Rob. HAHAH!

I, too, am always right. Ask Mark. :D

Yeah, I NEVER argue. Even when people say the CRAZIEST things! I also never presume, I just ask. Usually people are psyched that I'm into their dog.

Offline Becki

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 04:51:57 am »
Don't get me wrong...I love that Molson gets attention which is constantly.  I just get irritated that they don't realize that he's not just any dog...he's a NEWFIE! 

Here's a recent pic of him. Try not to make fun of his cross-eyes...

Offline Becki

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 04:54:36 am »
And another.....

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 05:09:27 am »
OMG he is the cutetest dog I have ever seen!  ;D :-*

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 05:10:34 am »
Oh what a sweetie..thank s for posting pictures.

Not too many people know what our Vizsla is and thats ok...b/c I know they are not that common...lol

Offline Becki

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 05:11:57 am »
I like to think so...I gaze at him all the time just amazed at how beautiful he is.  I'm a little partial. ;D

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 05:18:52 am »
I wouldn't feel bad for getting upset, you are proud of your boy for who he is.  I normally don't say anything, but my roommate really hates it when people call Maddax a Bermese Mountain Dog, she says no it's a BerNese...we can say what he is and they still get it wrong. 
He is beautiful and I can see why you are so proud of him.

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 05:27:59 am »
I love your second pic.
As for the whole guessing thing I don't get to irritated with it as long as their cool with Kali. Now the ones who are retarded and act like she's dangerous just because shes big, those people get me upset!

Offline Becki

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 05:42:39 am »
Speaking of retarded, I used to own a chow/wolf mix who was constantly with me in the car.  Unlike Molson, Loki was not so friendly with people.  I can't tell you how many doorknobs would walk up to my car with him snarling and barking inside it and stick their hands in the window to pet him.  What do some people think?

I haven't seen anyone hesitant around Molson yet...I think the wagging butt, the tongue hanging out on the side of his mouth and his crossed eyes take his intimidation factor away.   :)

k2campbell

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 06:40:37 am »
Welcome to the club! Owning a Leonberger, we get it ALL the time. There are just too many combinations to mention of what people "guess" Kate is... :D

I guess I always feel a bit like a teacher when I get to tell these guessers, and explain how the Leonberger breed came to be  ;)

Molson is adorable!  ;D